Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #21
TJ

Default Re: 1939 Ford-Mercury door pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939 Mercury View Post
I hope I didnt cause any trouble posting this in 2 groups if I did that wasnt my intentions. I tried to post the pictures last night on here but they wouldnt upload due to bad internet reception
You are fine posting in both forums. It's all about gathering to most information that you can to get started in the right direction.
It's commendable that you want to save grandpa's car, but sometimes it is not possible due to the condition. If you save the good parts of the car(hood, dash, fenders, etc) and put them on a better body shell you will have accomplished the same thing as trying to put a bunch of patch panels on the current car.

Last edited by TJ; 10-11-2019 at 09:14 AM.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #22
1939 Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
You are fine posting in both forums. It's all about gathering to most information that you can to get started in the right direction.
It's commendable that you want to save grandpa's car, but sometimes it is not possible due to the condition. If you save the good parts of the car(hood, dash, fenders, etc) and put them on a better body shell you will have accomplished the same thing as trying to put a bunch of patch panels on the current car.
I guess you are right about that i will have to do some thinking about all of it
1939 Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #23
Lanny

Below is a link to the AD on the HAMB for the '39 Merc 4 dr.
I'm sure you can PM the owner for more info, as the Ad don't list much.
If it's been in CA for most of it's life, it might have a chance to be a solid car.

Anyway, here's the link below, incase you want to get some info on it.
Good luck, and welcome to the Barn.

//www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1939-mercury.1167728/

Old 10-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #24
1939 Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
Below is a link to the AD on the HAMB for the '39 Merc 4 dr.
I'm sure you can PM the owner for more info, as the Ad don't list much.
If it's been in CA for most of it's life, it might have a chance to be a solid car.

Anyway, here's the link below, incase you want to get some info on it.
Good luck, and welcome to the Barn.

//www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1939-mercury.1167728/

Thank you I found out today there is a guy in the next county who has a lot of these old cars I might see if he has a good car like this and if not I'll talk to this guy
Old 10-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #25
rotorwrench

The Mercury cars are a different design than the Fords so there isn't a lot that crosses over in the sheet metal. Four door parts cars are more affordable than the more popular models so there is bound to be some old parts car out there. The running boards didn't change to an integral part till 1941 and those aren't really a running board since the door tends to shield them when closed.

Floors are hard to get for Fords since there is only one guy that produces them and his work is hard to get in a timely manner. Mercury cars always require more fabrication than the Fords. I've seen worse but most folks usually choose the more popular cars to restore. Sentimental value is one of those things that can sway a less popular car to be restored. I've been there myself so I know the feeling.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #26
1939 Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The Mercury cars are a different design than the Fords so there isn't a lot that crosses over in the sheet metal. Four door parts cars are more affordable than the more popular models so there is bound to be some old parts car out there. The running boards didn't change to an integral part till 1941 and those aren't really a running board since the door tends to shield them when closed.

Floors are hard to get for Fords since there is only one guy that produces them and his work is hard to get in a timely manner. Mercury cars always require more fabrication than the Fords. I've seen worse but most folks usually choose the more popular cars to restore. Sentimental value is one of those things that can sway a less popular car to be restored. I've been there myself so I know the feeling.
I hate to see granddads car rot and I'm determined to fix it i want to start after Christmas
Old 10-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #27
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

The swages on a 39 mercury floor are more straight forward than a 39 ford.
A good body shop should be able to fabricate a new floor for you keeping the original tunnel. It will still cost you several thousand dollars by the time it is installed.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote