Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
coyledad46

Default Crankshaft Pulley hot!

Hi all--
I hadn't started my '30 coupe since last year. I drained the old gas, put in fresh, checked the oil, and topped off the radiator. Battery wouldn't hold a charge, so I installed a new one. The motor fired right up. I only ran it for a minute or so when I noticed a loud screeching noise I'd never heard before.

I shut it down and looked under the hood. There was a little smoke coming from the front of the motor area. I thought maybe the fan belt was slipping, but it appeared to be tight. The crankshaft pulley, however, was hot--too hot to touch!. The motor hadn't even warmed up. The head was only slightly warm, and the water in the radiator was still cold.

I've never had this problem before. The motor always started and ran fine--no strange noises. Any ideas what's going on here?
coyledad46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
shew01

Default Re: Crankshaft Pulley hot!

If you loosen the fan belt, does the generator/alternator pulley turn freely? How about the water pump pulley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:55 PM   #3
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyledad46 View Post
Hi all--
I hadn't started my '30 coupe since last year. I drained the old gas, put in fresh, checked the oil, and topped off the radiator. Battery wouldn't hold a charge, so I installed a new one. The motor fired right up. I only ran it for a minute or so when I noticed a loud screeching noise I'd never heard before.

I shut it down and looked under the hood. There was a little smoke coming from the front of the motor area. I thought maybe the fan belt was slipping, but it appeared to be tight. The crankshaft pulley, however, was hot--too hot to touch!. The motor hadn't even warmed up. The head was only slightly warm, and the water in the radiator was still cold.

I've never had this problem before. The motor always started and ran fine--no strange noises. Any ideas what's going on here?
Water pump stuck,
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:41 PM   #4
SteveB31

Either generator or water pump seized up
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #5
coyledad46

Well, Bill is right. The water pump is stuck. I noticed earlier that the exposed part of the shaft is rusty, but didn't think that was important, since it is unpainted and would probably get surface rust.

I greased the fittings and squirted some wd-40 at each end of the shaft. I can turn it by hand by gripping the fan, but it's very stiff. What next? Anything I can do to loosen it up without taking the pump apart?

Thanks for your help.
coyledad46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #6
shew01

Default Crankshaft Pulley hot!

Quote:
Well, Bill is right. The water pump is stuck. I noticed earlier that the exposed part of the shaft is rusty, but didn't think that was important, since it is unpainted and would probably get surface rust.

I greased the fittings and squirted some wd-40 at each end of the shaft. I can turn it by hand by gripping the fan, but it's very stiff. What next? Anything I can do to loosen it up without taking the pump apart?

Thanks for your help.

Please don’t turn the engine using the fan. You may fatigue the blades and cause a crack. If a cracked blade eventually breaks off, it pretty much becomes an unguided missile.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...8669&showall=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #7
bbrocksr

Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Loosen the fan belt first then loosen the packing nut and work some oil into the packing or replace the packing. It takes a graphite impregnated rope packing that you just wrap around the shaft and then snug the nut till it stops leaking. Don't overtighten the nut, if it doesn't stop leaking put a little more packing in it. Don't adjust the nut while the engine is running.
There is a pretty good chance just loosening the nut and working some oil in it will work.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #8
eagle

Are you running water or antifreeze? Antifreeze provides rust preventative and water pump lubricant. As long as it turns semi freely, start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes then pull the belt off and check the water pump, it'll likely be freed up fine. Also, check the belt. Its likely that'll need replacing now, will have a wore spot on it.