Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
30-Centauri-A

Default Best oil to use?

I am having some work done to my 1930 Model A that I am unable to do, and I need to get some oil to finish the job. The guy working on my car said there was a lot of sludge in the engine when he had the oil pan off.

What would be the best oil to use? And should I use an additive to cut the sludge down.
30-Centauri-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Best oil to use?

Tell us more about the engine. What oil were you using?

Oil is a funny subject. You are possibly going to hear many different things.

Make sure you clean the oil pan and the oil pump screen very well.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
BillEbob

Saying "oil" around here is like yelling 'SQUIRREL❗' at the American Kennel Club National Dog Show❗❗

Just saying . . .
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
dave in australia

Any modern oil is better than the oil originally used. The main thing is to regularly change the oil to keep the sludge build up down.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
SeaSlugs

use a modern detergent multiweight oil 10-40, 15-40 whatever floats your boat. if your engine had sludge make sure your mechanic cleans out the valve galley as well of sludge.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #6
30-Centauri-A

The car has the original four cylinder flat head. I've had the car for almost a year, I'm not sure what oil was in the engine before.
The guy working on my car is very thorough, he cleaned the inside of the engine before reinstalling the oil pan.
30-Centauri-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:20 PM   #7
40 Deluxe

First of all, don't listen to any of the "blah, blah, blah" about needing to use some kind of zinc additive in your A. IT IS NOT NEEDED! Any oil today has more zinc in it than any oil from 1930!
Also, using a thermostat in the cooling system will extend engine life by keeping the engine at operating temperature, thereby evaporating sludge-causing contaminants out of the oil. Especially if you do a lot of short trips-ice cream runs, etc.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:05 AM   #8
Kevin in NJ

Simple,

You need detergent to keep really small stuff in suspension so it comes out with a change.
You need additives to prevent damaging chemicals from forming.
You need to NOT change it too often as that is just a waste. A couple of years or few thousand miles on a broken in engine.
There may be some advantage to using a diesel oil becuase of its additive package for preventing bad chemicals.

The above is based on the science of oil as told by people with oil engineering degrees. It is not my opinion but a repeat of what qualified knowledgeable people have written.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #9
WHN

Just as I said, your going to hear all different kinds of comments.

Now for mine. We use Walmart 20-50 oil, change it once a year or every 500 miles. I add one bottle of Blue STP as the last half a quart at each oil change. Car takes five quarts if oil pan has been removed and is empty. Takes four and a half after that. One half quart stays in dipper tray.

I use Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas.

As for the need for a thermostat. Model A engine was designed to run at around 165 degrees, without thermostat. Cooling system is designed around that. 90 years old and still running great. Why change, “overheating”.

Now your going to get more great ideas from other good members. We all have are way. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:49 AM   #10
Terry, NJ

I use shell Rotella 15/40 in my A s. Good quality oil in 10 qt cans from Tractor Supply Co. A little STP to make it stickier and you're good to go. I like stickier oil because the engine isn't used that often. When cleaning the make sure the oil screen is clean. I bought an engine once, that had two problems,The oil screen was almost totally blocked(20 % opening) and the mains were shot. What a surprise! This is why you don't use non detergent oils. Actually It's been said that for a Mod. A oil, "Whatever's on sale at Walmarts!"
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #11
slammin

30-Centauri-A
Did your mechanic pull the valve cover and clean that area as well? If you have a lot of sludge in the pan, there will probably be sludge there too. Fill with a decent multi weight detergent oil. Until you are sure its clean, don't wait for the next change. Drive it several hundred miles and change again.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

WOW, I never thought I would live to see the posts above. There was a time when this question would be the start of every brand being mentioned. Instead, the vast majority are giving the honest answer. Any oil designed for motor vehicles, of the correct weight, will work just fine in the Model A. There is hope for the hobby.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I like 4 quart jug of Chevron "Delo 400" 15-40wt. It is an oil made for diesel engines. Many diesel engines have Babbitt bearings...

It is correct to say that the Model a engine has a 5 quart oil capacity. However, when changing my oil, I only put 4 quarts back in on the refill. My reasoning is you already have 1/2 quart in the dipper tray plus 4 quarts equals a total of 4 1/2 quarts. Your engine will run fine on 4 1/2 quarts. This method will lower the oil level in the pan a tad resulting in far less oil pushed out the rear main when climbing a hill.. JMO

Last edited by Dick M; 04-11-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
JaxFLG8r

Oil questions get many opinions, Kinda like a question about which salad dressing should I use.

My only response would be new is better than old, and drop the pan to clean the sludge out. Ed Williamson
JaxFLG8r is offline   Reply With Quote