Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #161
Ken Ehrenhofer

Default Re: The Lee Roy Hartung Collection Auction = Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
I'm curious, what are you going to do with the police alarm that was on the door?
On the way home I realized that a couple of items were still on the bus or laying inside and I did not want to loose track of them so early the next morning I went back and removed the police bell on the door and found the lighted CHICAGO sign that Lee had put on the roof. I was not sure how the door would survive with the bell on it because I do not know if the bus ever was run with the bell on it. So it was removed for the trip home. One of the auction folks who was trying to reach an upper shelf in the barn tried to stand on the roof and broke a few of the wood bows.... luckily no one was hurt but we built a 2x4 support inside and added to the 4x4's they already had put in so the trip home would not damage it further.
So it was then tarped (rain threatening) stretch wrapped and flat bedded home. When home we used car dollies under the two rear wheels as they are frozen because of ten inches of mud and water over the years.the back of the barn flooded regularly.
I have saved the police bell and actually rang it. A little WD40 and a six volt battery and it gongs real cool.
The Chicago sign really got me as I am a real Chicagoan born and raised in this great city and even have given "Tours of Chicago" to people from all over the world. The sign will hang in my shop and I got to figure out how to lit it once again.
This experience has been wonderful as I won the bid a cheering section from Model Aers went up from the back row. I was so nervous as I never bought anything at auction before..... and I always new Lee had this bus but I never thought I would ever own it.... It is really cool and really, really big. No It is REALLY BIG!
I have it stored next to a Model A Fire truck and it makes the truck look small. I am already receiving help from people in doing research and learning more about the bus. It appears it is not a school bus but rather a passenger bus with woodgrain interior and mirrors on each window. The big roof gave head room for the adults.
I can't wait to get into it but other projects have to come first. I am trying to get two vehicles done for Osh Kosh and Marquette so the bus will just have to wait.....
Thanks,
Ken
No Plans for the bell other than to hang it up in the shop. It was not a police paddy wagon as advertised and when restored it will be returned to it's bus look. Greenfield Village has the exact same bus so I am looking forward to trip there again.
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #162
Ken Ehrenhofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddaughter View Post
thanks Ken I may have to do that--after I'm done down here in FL trying to get rid of all my dad's junk. (most of it's junk---he was like Lee, but collected stuff that didn't make sense to anyone but him. old chains, buckets of nails, all his old bricklaying stuff) Lee was a character alright!

in the meantime i have to figure out best prices for a small IL plate collection. I have 56, 57, 58 sets of two for one number, a set of 1940 in beautiful condition, 29 in also beautiful condition, a set of 57 in semi good condition, and 6 other random singles from 56-60, a stray semi good 1976 bicentennial and then a collector set of two 1976 USA plates----I need to find prices, but have been having trouble finding them.
I have a good friend, Frank Smith who collects an deals in licensce plates.
If you want his info let me know as he can advise you of prices etc. He might also be interested in buying some of them.
Ken,
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #163
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ehrenhofer View Post
I have a good friend, Frank Smith who collects an deals in licensce plates.
Don't know if he would have any Alaska plates, but I would be interested in a '31 Alaska plate, either Pass or Comm.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #164
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddaughter View Post
thanks Ken I may have to do that--after I'm done down here in FL trying to get rid of all my dad's junk. (most of it's junk---he was like Lee, but collected stuff that didn't make sense to anyone but him. old chains, buckets of nails, all his old bricklaying stuff) Lee was a character alright!

in the meantime i have to figure out best prices for a small IL plate collection. I have 56, 57, 58 sets of two for one number, a set of 1940 in beautiful condition, 29 in also beautiful condition, a set of 57 in semi good condition, and 6 other random singles from 56-60, a stray semi good 1976 bicentennial and then a collector set of two 1976 USA plates----I need to find prices, but have been having trouble finding them.
ebay is best for prices. I've bought all my plates there.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #165
forddaughter

Thanks MrTexas. I was hoping to find someone lookin here. but may get in touch with Ken's friend.
forddaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #166
WTSHNN

Just as an FYI, I saw that the April 17th episode of Chasing Classic Cars on the Velocity channel will be dedicated to the Hartung auction. The teaser shows Wayne Carini wandering the Hartung museum before it was dismantled and then shows a lot of him wandering the grounds with all the stuff laid out for viewing and then of course bidding.

For those who care to watch.
-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #167
Roadster62

Thanks Tim! I'll have my daughter tape it so I can see it when I visit. We don't get the Velocity channel. Bob