Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #41
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: LED Headlights

The original bulbs filament is V shaped, high-low beam are about 1/16 apart, give off light in every direction, replacement Halogen bulbs have straight filaments, this slight difference can be seen as a larger light beam with lees definition at the edges, a wider pattern and less sharp of a cutoff
The replacement LED are either a row arranged across, or inline, on both sides of a heat sink, the centerline of the original filaments is occupied by the heat sink, so by design they can't be focused properly in original reflector, perhaps some better than other bad design modifications

You mention generator, lights dimming at idle, one of the first tings I noticed putting the quartz halogens in was that I could barely see any changes between idle not charging --and full charging, the generator has been ok with running them for the last 20 years, and never use a battery tender.
Yes, I would like LED bulbs, but not at a loss of being able to see the signs at 3000 feet
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #42
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski53 View Post
$7.45 for shipping is too much?! Sometime I don't understand people!
Do you own a business?, do you ship regular, and pay for shipping material, time, boxes, etc..7.45 i a STEEL to ship...
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:36 PM   #43
old31

If you had to drive the package yourself I am going to just take a wild off of the shelf guess and say that it would cost you more than $7.45.

Now this is just my guess, I could be wrong.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:41 AM   #44
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Is this your company? That is a pretty convincing video but I would love to see a picture of the beam pattern against a wall at the distance specified in the service bulletins for focusing headlights. I saw the one picture against the garage door but it's hard to tell that close.

I really don't want to blind oncoming drivers as I hate when it's done to me.

Correctly focusable LED headlights are very exciting. Looking forward to hearing more about this.
I bought a pair to test out and review for our (Fairfield County A's) newsletter. I'll share my results when I test them, but that won't be for a while. It is TOO COLD to do now!!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #45
pgerhardt

Well we had a warm day so I went up to the garage and installed the Logo Lites LED headlight "bulbs" (picture 1). The installation time was about 15 seconds. I took a picture with just one side installed (picture 2). Tests with focusing and night driving will have to wait until spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 11.49.50 AM.jpg (41.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 11.50.02 AM.jpg (68.1 KB, 97 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #46
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
Well we had a warm day so I went up to the garage and installed the Logo Lites LED headlight "bulbs" (picture 1). The installation time was about 15 seconds. I took a picture with just one side installed (picture 2). Tests with focusing and night driving will have to wait until spring.
Cool!

With the car 25 feet from a wall or garage door, see if you can focus the high beam on each into a circle with a sharp edge with the lenses off first; then see what that looks like with the lens added; then see if you can focus that pattern any better from the circular starting point.

"Brighter" is not always going to be better, if it can't be focussed and aimed. But if it can be, these will be great!
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #47
Smooth_One

I'll order 2 of these in a few weeks and try them out as soon as i get the harness back in the car.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #48
Smooth_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
Do you own a business?, do you ship regular, and pay for shipping material, time, boxes, etc..7.45 i a STEEL to ship...

Most of our parts suppliers charge in excess of $13 to ship one piece of anything no matter the size so i agree this is a value shipping rate.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #49
Roxo

http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A13007LED.html

I found these on Mikes affordable's website for 29.95. Not sure if they are the same bulbs.
I found these after I ordered the Quartz adapter kit from Snyders for $97. I had to go with a alternator to run these. Another expense that could have been saved if the LED's work.
I will wait to hear from you guys as you experiment more with them.
Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #50
CarlG

The LED headlights I bought plug right into the reflectors where my Quarts Halogen bulbs (9007) were.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #51
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
The original bulbs filament is V shaped,
The V-shaped filament throws much of the light forward, missing the reflector and reducing beam intensity. The original filament was folded back on itself forming two parallel emitters which direct nearly all light into the reflector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
Cool!

With the car 25 feet from a wall or garage door, see if you can focus the high beam on each into a circle with a sharp edge with the lenses off first; then see what that looks like with the lens added; then see if you can focus that pattern any better from the circular starting point.

"Brighter" is not always going to be better, if it can't be focused and aimed. But if it can be, these will be great!
From what I see, I suspect it will cast a more square pattern. The main goal is to reduce the size to maximum intensity.

I have two concerns about this bulb -
- If the shoulder contacts the reflector it may restrict the beam length to less than 25 feet.
- Despite the large heat sink, I wonder how effective it is within the sealed housing.
Hopefully the designers have done their homework and these potential issues have been addressed.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #52
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
The LED headlights I bought plug right into the reflectors where my Quarts Halogen bulbs (9007) were.
The Quartz Halogen Headlight kit from snyders are not adjustable and you have to install a three way female spade plug. Therefore bypassing the original with no way to adjust the headlights. I think I will be sending these back.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #53
CarlG

The kit that I got included the female spade plug as well as the Halogen bulbs. I had been running that set-up for more than 5 years without a problem. The LEDs that I got were just plug & play in the Halogen set up. I wanted the LEDs primarily to reduce the current draw.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:37 PM   #54
Roxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
The kit that I got included the female spade plug as well as the Halogen bulbs. I had been running that set-up for more than 5 years without a problem. The LEDs that I got were just plug & play in the Halogen set up. I wanted the LEDs primarily to reduce the current draw.
Can you adjust the beam with your set. I see no way to do that with mine. with my luck I would be blinding the other drivers.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:21 AM   #55
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I know from driving that the amount of light 20 feet in front of the car isn't useful, that I prefer "spotlight" over "flood light", I looked at the video several times, to me it looks like a lot of light everywhere for short distances, but total darkness in the distance

one of the first things I noticed when I put in the direct fit halogen bulbs ( this term is considered to mean replacement aftermarket bulbs, but original Mazda ribbed bulbs are filled with halogen gases too) is that the road and signs were lit up for a long distance, one night I took a count of poles with reflectors, counted 8 poles, then a stop sign on high beam, the next day I measured the distance, over 3000 feet, on high beam the light started hitting the road over 2 car lengths ahead

I have been collecting HID light pieces from wreck cars ,the light from that bulb is focus able with original reflector , but hi-low would have to be by moving the bulb (factory use many times have a solenoid control shutter to make low beam, and some also have motors to aim the beam ---a good focused hid beam should near melt the tailights out of the car ahead but not blind the driver

there is no led conversion that can work properly with original reflector, new car led are off to the side, the reflector is a "rams horn" shape, perhaps a segmented one with each segment having it's own led. ---

if the lights are bright to look at them standing off to the side they have scatter from bad focus ---a good lighting system won't look bright except in the beam

I have been asking the proud LED headlight owners to show a picture of their bulbs focus without lens, still waiting

I have been trying to figure a test method that everyone can use to compare that is reproduce able and not needing special equipment, and I will try to make a video of my car to compare to the LED video going down the road (when the snowsalt is washed away )
I installed a set of LED bulbs in my 1934 Ford. It appeared that lots more light was being thrown out and they were certainly brighter to look at!

However in this country we do test light alignment -as part of a mandatory 6 monthly safety inspection. Placed on the correct calibrated machine it revealed that although lots of light was coming out it was not focused -Much of it was shooting skywards (or into the eyes of the oncoming drivers) and some was falling onto the road right in front of the car. Very little was ending up on the road where it should.

So unfortunately in support of the above and contrary to the anecdotal evidence often quoted -proper testing with the correct machine reveals that at least in a 1934 that LEDs don't focus as they should . Given the fact that I use the same halogen bulbs in my Model A as I do in my 1934 ( both passing on the same machine ) I am sure that LEDs aren't up to speed in the Model A either.

Karl
Old 03-14-2019, 05:38 AM   #56
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I installed a set of LED bulbs in my 1934 Ford. It appeared that lots more light was being thrown out and they were certainly brighter to look at!...
Karl
Were these Logo Lites?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #57
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Were these Logo Lites?
Good question. There are cheap lights touted as headlamp bulbs but are simply bright/dim rather than proper high/low beam. These should be used only for combo stop/tail lamps.

The ones from Logo or Snyder's (maybe others) or the other style from Classic Dynamo in UK should be up to snuff.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:02 AM   #58
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Were these Logo Lites?
No they were from Classic and Dynamo in the UK -Karl

Last edited by Karl; 03-15-2019 at 02:09 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:30 AM   #59
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
Good question. There are cheap lights touted as headlamp bulbs but are simply bright/dim rather than proper high/low beam. These should be used only for combo stop/tail lamps.

The ones from Logo or Snyder's (maybe others) or the other style from Classic Dynamo in UK should be up to snuff.
Classic Dynamo in the UK -and they're not -Karl
Old 03-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #60
31Cabriolet68-C

I always thought it went: "... it's a girl, my Lord, in a flatHEAD Ford..."
Oh well, the song was most certainly written a long time after '54...
But any gal driving a truck, or a hot rod, IS a mighty fine sight to see, particularly if it's a Ford...
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote