Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
TinCup

Default Don't ask me how

Reassembling a motor that a club member brought back from New York state all went well until this piston decided to not to cooperate. The pistons are 120 over and finding replacements has turned out to be the proverbial needle in the haystack. Exhausted all of our leads here in the middle of America so reaching out to the rest of the world.

We can bore to 125 but would rather stay with the 120's if we can. Hoping somewhere in the barn is a single or a set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120_Piston.jpg (41.9 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by TinCup; 08-18-2018 at 09:57 AM.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Don't ask me how

Judging from their style, they are really old pistons. I doubt you'll find any like them so boring or honing out to .125" (4") is probably your best bet. Good luck!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
J Franklin

If you are going to the expense of boring and new pistons, maybe consider re-sleeving back to standard. Did you try Egge Machine for a new set of pistons & rings?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
WHN

Re-sleeve it back to standard.

If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
Synchro909

You could have a set of .125 over pistons machined down to suit, take the block out to .125 over or sleeve it back. You have plenty of optoins. I think you were probably lucky it failed now and not out on the road somewhere in the middle of now where.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:20 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

[QUOTE=Synchro909;1664878]You could have a set of .125 over pistons machined down to suit, take the block out to .125 over or sleeve it back. You have plenty of optoins. I think you were probably lucky it failed now and not out on the road somewhere in the middle of now where.[
Where is "NOW WHERE"? Is it somewhere past where the ROAD ENDS? That would be past where we used to live, but "maybe" Chief could fix it, he wuz GOOD!

SA Bill W.
/QUOTE]
Old 08-19-2018, 12:08 AM   #7
Chuck Sea/Tac

There’s nothing wrong with .125” —- 36,000 and going strong, with just normal maintenance.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:17 AM   #8
Synchro909

[QUOTE=BILL WILLIAMSON;1664996]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
You could have a set of .125 over pistons machined down to suit, take the block out to .125 over or sleeve it back. You have plenty of optoins. I think you were probably lucky it failed now and not out on the road somewhere in the middle of now where.[
Where is "NOW WHERE"? Is it somewhere past where the ROAD ENDS? That would be past where we used to live, but "maybe" Chief could fix it, he wuz GOOD!

SA Bill W.
/QUOTE]
I have heard the outback defined as all the land that lies beyond where the wind starts., No where is the next one after that!!
Old 08-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

[B]Synchro,
We've lived in West Texas where the wind & sand blow, sounds much like your "OUT-BACK"---Ever have SAND on your table & even between your bed sheets?
We lived in funky OLD HOUSES that even whistled & the linoleum on the floor, would even float up & down when the WIND blew----NLOL---My modern house is like a CASTLE, compared to that!!!
[B]Even modern houses there, can't have insulation above the ceiling & every couple of years, SAND has to be scooped out, above the ceiling. "Somehow" the sand is able to leak into the attic area!
[B]Once there, during a sand storm, Chief & my Uncle were trying to get home with their wagon & 2 Mules, they spooked & ran away & Chief & Uncle Pappy jumped off & walked home, as if walking in a FOG! The Mules were waiting patiently, at the corral. Sounds like an Old Western Movie--LOL
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 08-19-2018 at 06:49 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #10
Brentwood Bob

Some called that true grit Bill.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #11
TinCup

Just trying to get this back together without a trip to the machine shop.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #12
100IH

Just won't work in this instance, sorry.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #13
J Franklin

Place a wanted post in the swap section for a piston of that size, someone may have one to sell.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #14
Will N

The only problem with sleaving back to standard is you can't get a head gasket to fit anymore. See this thread:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55372
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #15
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
[B]Synchro,
We've lived in West Texas where the wind & sand blow, sounds much like your "OUT-BACK"---Ever have SAND on your table & even between your bed sheets?
We lived in funky OLD HOUSES that even whistled & the linoleum on the floor, would even float up & down when the WIND blew----NLOL---My modern house is like a CASTLE, compared to that!!!
[B]Even modern houses there, can't have insulation above the ceiling & every couple of years, SAND has to be scooped out, above the ceiling. "Somehow" the sand is able to leak into the attic area!
[B]Once there, during a sand storm, Chief & my Uncle were trying to get home with their wagon & 2 Mules, they spooked & ran away & Chief & Uncle Pappy jumped off & walked home, as if walking in a FOG! The Mules were waiting patiently, at the corral. Sounds like an Old Western Movie--LOL
Bill W.
Bill, I drove a truck for quite a few years going up and down West Texas. We usually turned off west from Hereford and then south through Donky Slipper, you know where that's at. I've been caught in some light storms and gone through when the road was over half drifted from the red sand.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #16
TinCup

I already posted in the wanted section and at this point the only venue I haven't tried is the telegraph. The whole point here is I don't want to have to put more money in the machine shop. Yes I could do all of the alternatives listed here but this is not that type of project.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #17
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
[B]Synchro,
Bill W.

I like your story and I will bring it to my wife's attention. We live in a small rural town with plenty of trees around and river adjacent to the south. She, wife Patsy, complains about dust and asks where does it come from. Well after reading your situation she should be pleased with our ours. cheers, gary m

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #18
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
I already posted in the wanted section and at this point the only venue I haven't tried is the telegraph. The whole point here is I don't want to have to put more money in the machine shop. Yes I could do all of the alternatives listed here but this is not that type of project.
OK I guess it is time for some JB Weld!
Old 08-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #19
KR500

Was that piston damaged because the ridge wasn't removed prior to knocking pistons out?
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #20
J Franklin

During the depression sometimes a broken piston and rod were removed and the car run on 3 cylinders.

Last edited by J Franklin; 08-19-2018 at 11:33 PM.