Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
al's28/33

Default the history of your car ???????

How many of you know the entire history of your "A" since it was brand new ???

I got mine from upstate Illinois and had it shipped via cargo truck to California in 2001. Besides that, the seller told me it was owned by a couple in Illinois for ten years.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
John Duden

Default Re: the history of your car ???????

My early 28 AA truck was made in st paul mn, it was ordered by the stockton sawmill , it hauled logs until it was time was up (newer machinery) then it was parked in a shed and the back wheels jacked up and turned the saw rig, when the mill closed it was sold to a man in rochester who used it personally and then sold it to the scrap yard, dad found it and it became our project
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
Jordan

Bought from Uncle Bob back in the '70's by Joe York. Fully restored in '77 along side of my grandpa's coupe (Joe & Pawpaw restored them kind of together). Then sold to Joe Moon in the 80's. Bought back by Joe York in the mid 80's. Joe then sold it to his son, Mark, in the late 80's. Mark then sold it to a guy in Mineola, TX. My grandpa finally bought the car from him in October of '96 at the Autumn Trails event in Winnsboro, TX. And now it's mine.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
Roadster Rich

My 30 Roadster was bought by Mrs Hawks, a wealthy summer resident of Bar Harbor, Maine, in July 1930 for a niece visiting her for the summer. My Grandfather was the caretaker of the estate. My father born in 1929, turned 16 and the car was still in the estate garage and his father bought the car. In the family ever since.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
Great Lakes Greg

My family Tudor was purchased new by Enos "Zip" Wright, who was the fire chief in Litchfeild, Michigan. His widow sold it to a good friend of my dads here in Jackson in 1965. My father bought it from him in 1984. Dad passed in 2007, and now I am the caretaker. I often wonder who will be next.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
1930artdeco

Dad go his from a guy who drug it out of a junk yard in 1962. Prior to that nobody knows. I got after graduation in 1995.

Mike
Old 02-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
modelAtony

my 31 tudor was purchased in Dallas,tx 1931 . The orig owner owned lunber yard in Little Rock,ar. he was in dallas for convention. Shiped car home on railroad. Orig owner died 1988 and son and grandson restored car and it was willed to next door neighbor Mr. Mc callister, he received car in 1989 . Mr mc callister was around 70 years old he and his wife drove it first time to church and radiator got hot on him, he said it was really hot. This was the last time he drove it. The year was 1989. June 2000 my father an I went to look at car and i bought it Mr Mc callister was about same age then as my dad around 82 years old, He said it had been in museum at peti jean on display for about 6 years just a few months before I found it. Orig miles on car was 75222 when i purchased it . Great RACE 2003 X - cup 2nd place . and I averaged about 1500 miles per month before I retired because I drove 60 miles per day round trip to work. since 2009 I only average about 1100- 1200 per month have fun modelAtony lafayette,la
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

We get a lot of cars in here where the history is known. My family owns two Model A's that someone in our family purchased them new. In my line of work, there is redundancy in the tasks so knowing the car's history or lineage often highlights the project.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I wish I had a car with a lineage. Mine was built with parts from 3 cars in the early '80's.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

My dad's model T has linage. My great grandfather bought it from the original owner in the 50s and my father had it willed to him along with the A's in the mid to late 80's, someday I'll be the 4 owner of the car but we still will be the second family to own the car. The cars a cherry all original except the paint. The engine had the original bore till the early 80s when my great grandfather rebuilt it with a few other T and A friends. The engine now only has a few hundred miles on it. Amazing when you can follow the history of you car. I think it's so cool!!!!
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
JD Miller

This is an easy question to answer. My 31 Briggs SW Sedan has been in the family since 1933.

My Grandfather bought the car from Earl Koon. Mr. Koon purchased the car new from Ed McCrate the local Ford dealer in Columbus Grove, Ohio. When Mr. Koon purchased a new 1933 Ford Coupe he sold the Model A. The car was like new when my Grandfather purchased the car. The car was used for family transportation but mostly as a service car for my Grandfather's auto repair business.

I was given the car in 1954 by my Grandfather. Drove the car for three years while in high school. At the time Mr. Koon was alive and in the summer I'd pick him up and we'd go fishing at Riley creek. Mr. Koon liked the sedan and the fact a "young fellow" was driving the car.

The Sedan was first displayed at the 1957 MARC National at Greenfield Village. Fifty years later it was at the MARC National held at Williamsburg, VA.

So the sedan has been a member of the family since 1933.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_8029.jpg (108.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4213.jpg (109.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6071.jpg (78.2 KB, 145 views)
JD Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Pete in Michigan

My 1929 Standard coupe was built in Indianapolis, Ind. and spent its first 36 years in Joplin, Missouri. The original owners son brought it to Michigan and I bought it in 1966 when he was moving to Alaska to work in the oil pipeline. I didn't know at the time that I could have the original title voided and keep it, oh well. The gas tank date is 7/29/29 which is my birth month and day. The car was built 18 yrs before I was born and I bought it when I was 18. I finished the restoration in 1976 and have owned it for 46 yrs.
Pete in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Rowdy
BANNED

My 1929 Deluxe Delivery Sedan was purchased new by Clyde Peterson locally. In 1934 Clyde and his family went to Ca., which began the missing years that I do not know much about. The body was used as a line shack by the Spradlin Ranch which was purchased by Lloyd Peterson (no relation to Clyde as far as we know) in 1954. I purchased it from the widow of Lloyd Peterson in 2005. I do not know what happenned to the original chassis or about when it was purchased by the Spradlins. Rod
Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Ray in La Mesa

Bought my '30 cabriolet the spring of '68 from Truly Nolen Pest Control in San Diego. It was being used in their fleet to advertise the business and was #13. All I new was, it was registered in Arizona. 20 years later on a reunion tour to Yuma I was talking to a fellow about two A's we were looking at, town car and cabriolet. I mentioned I had a cabriolet painted metallic blue with a black vinal top I got from Truly Nolen. He then asked if my cabriolet was registered as a '31 coupe. I got a chill down my spine as it was! I took him to breakfast and learned the history of my cab. back to 1953, after 20 years of owning it. Seems he was living in Chicago and got a job transfer to Tucson and had this '31 coupe. It was really ratty and he couldn't afford a moving company so he took the body off and made a farm box on the chassis, loaded up the household stuff and moved to Tucson. After getting settled in he and a buddy decided to redue the model A. They found the body in a wash on an indian reservation outside town and restored it. That also explained why the bottom 4" of the body was fiberglass.I'm just now restoring it. My '28 roadster pickup was pieced together in '68 also ( for a total of $147) as a temporary tour car till the cabriolet was restored. I didn't figure it was going to be 44 years later.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
28Annie

My 28 Phaeton (not an AR) was built at the Ford plant in Argentina. I don't know if it was just the final assembly being done there but that's where she was from 1928 until 2002. The guy I got the car from was in Argentina on a business trip & saw it sitting in an old building that was going to be torn down. The car was in horrible shape as the sun had baked the paint off & the mice had long since stripped out the upholstery but the metal was all solid & complete. The area in Argentina has very mild winters so the metal held up well & the motor never went through decades of freeze/thaw cycles. He learned from the owner that the car had been in service as a local taxi cab for decades! He managed to buy the car from the owner & had it put in a crate & shipped up to Boston via ocean freighter. Once the car arrived in New Hampshire it was completely disassembled & built back up using both original & aftermarket parts. After a few years of signing restoration checks he got frustrated with it as they could never get it running right. It then sat covered in his garage until 2 years ago when he decided to cut his losses & sold it to me. It only had 74 miles on it since the restoration began! After a complete motor and drive train rebuild, I now am the current caretaker of "Annie" (named after my late Mother) and she's my pride & joy as this was a lifetime desire to have a Model A.
28Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Paul in Colorado

My Town sedan has an interesting history, which I have written up below. It was won as a door prize at the Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club swap meet on February 4, 1968. The swap meet is still going on, and will be on February 4 again this year. I wonder if they still have door prizes which are this valuable.

Is there anyone from Kalamazoo (or elsewhere) who remembers this car? If so, I would love to hear from you and maybe learn some more details about the car's history, such as the specific work which was done. I am currently replacing the engine with a rebuilt one, which cost me much less than rebuilding the original. I will keep the original engine, which is rebuildable, for the next owner.

Paul

TOWN SEDAN HISTORY
By Paul Scherer
My 1930 Town Sedan, Model 155C, Serial Number A2746427, was originally purchased in early 1930 by Mr. Herman Cook of Kalamazoo, Michigan. It served him faithfully for 22 years. In 1952 he sold it to Mr. Elza Osborn, an old time friend and excellent mechanic. Mr. Osborn kept it running until 1957, when he put it up on blocks at his wife’s request. The neighbor ladies thought Mrs. Osborn was getting snooty, or at least they got tired of looking up to her as the Osborns drove by.
On October 16, 1967, the Town Sedan was purchased by the Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club for $250. It was restored by the Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club. The club newsletter for January 1968 states that:
“The car was stripped and transformed into a very desirable antique vehicle. Many club members helped in the restoration by sanding, grinding, painting, rebuilding and replacing parts. All chrome has been refinished; the steering gear sector, generator, and starter have been rebuilt, new spring shackles and wiring installed, and complete new upholstery and top have been fabricated. The car looks resplendent in its Ford maroon and black lacquer paint. The red wheels offer a pleasing contrast in color.”
My Arvada next door neighbors, Joe and Rebecca Balog, lived in Mishawaka Indiana during the 1960s and were very involved with hot rods. On February 4, 1968 they took a friend, Richard Ewald, with them to a swap meet held by the Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club in Kalamazoo. There was a $1.00 admission fee. When they went to buy their tickets, Rebecca told Richard to go first, since he was their guest. In the middle of the afternoon, there was a drawing for the door prize. Richard won the door prize, which was the restored Town Sedan. He drove it home to Mishawaka, but probably drove it no more than 100 miles after that. He did run it occasionally, and changed the oil and greased it. It was always garaged. Joe Balog told me about it in 2005, and said that Richard was considering selling it. I talked to Richard and we agreed on a price. Joe Balog and I borrowed a trailer and went to get it in October of 2005. I got it running after replacing a condenser, and we brought it home.
After bringing it home, I found that the body and interior are in very good shape, except for some minor moth holes. The wood appears to be sound, without any rot. The Kalamazoo club did a good job in these areas. However, I have had to completely rebuild the front end and brakes. The kingpins were very loose, and the brakes were in very poor shape. It now has cast iron drums with Flathead Ted’s floaters. The club apparently did nothing in these areas. I don’t think they did anything with the drive train either, but the engine runs fairly well and the transmission and rear end are quiet. One unusual feature is that it has a Northeast speedometer with no trip odometer, and the instrument panel does not have the usual notch for the trip odometer knob. I had it back on the road the following Spring, just in time for driving season. I alternate driving it with my 1930 coupe, and it is sometimes in parades with my son driving the coupe. I am only the fourth owner (not counting the club), and enjoy knowing the past history of the car.
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
charlesea

We bought our 1929 Fodor July, 2010 from the original family. The prior owner got the car from his brother in 1959 who still lives in Buffalo, Wy. The car was bought new by their dad & mom. . His brother got the car after both parents passed away. Not sure if we are the 2nd owner or not. It was restored in the mid 70's and made into a touring car along the way with a B engine, Mitchell OD and hydrolic brakes. Their dad had twin side mounts put on the car and a Lincoln Trunk. The reason was that he was a cattle buyer and auctioneer and wanted more than one spare in the event of two flats while on a buying & auctioneering trip. The roads was not good in those days therefore flats occured often
Her name is Shasta. She hasta have gas, oil and parts to keep her purring for the touring we plan to do in 2012. She now resides in the Heart of Dixie.

Last edited by charlesea; 02-03-2012 at 09:09 PM.
charlesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
Russ B

My 1929 cabriolet was bought new by my father in the fall of 1929. After a year or so he gave it to his mother. She had it until she died. My cousin had it for a year or two, went in the Navy, and his father brought it back to my dad to give to me. I have had it since 1958-59. By the time I got it, it had sealed beam head lights, 16" wire wheels, push button starter, rotted out rumble, and other changes for better aftermarket parts availability. I added hydraulic brakes at my father's insistence in 1962, mol. It will never be a "points" car, during my lifetime at least, and most of the modifications previously made as the car gracelessly aged will stay. I am bringing the car back to life and putting in new wood, paint and interior.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #19
Droobie

My grandfather bought my tudor new in 1930. He drove up until my uncle could drive. My uncle Tom drove the car all through high school and collage. It sat around for about at grandpas house for about 40 years until my Grandpa asked me to take it and restore it and never sell it or cut it up. My wife says I love the A model more than her....EEK!
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
Dennis/CT

Bought my 1930 Tudor from Joliet,Ill and shipped it to Connecticut in 2008. I bought it from the estate of John Bill which he purchased it on Jan 8 1965. The only thing his daughter remembers is that it was painted sometime in the late 1960's. I contacted a member of the local Model A club in Joliet but, he only heard of Mr. Bill and knew nothing about his car.
Dennis/CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #21
Popeye31

The only thing I know about my 30 ccpu is it was built in the NewOrleans plant , and the guy I bought it from was using it for a pond display with plants growing out of the cowl. and he purchased the truck from some one in slidell.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #22
Tudortomnz

My Tudor was shipped semi built up from Canada late '29 & registered new Dec. 7, '29.
First lady owner at Waimate [ Sth Islnd of NZ] ran a boarding house & used the A for trips to the nearby family farm. She gave the car to her niece in 1958 just before she died. The niece used it for 2 years then sold it for approx. $200 at Christchurch [ think earthquakes] to an Englishman who used it until it literally stopped. I was just about to turn 15 & wanted an old Model A like Dad had, so my parents paid $90 & it was towed home with my name put on the 1929 ownership papers. I have actually met both previous owners except, of course, the first lady. It had 64,000 miles & needed a thorough tidy up. Im now 57 & will never sell it.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #23
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

I have a 1929 AA CCPU that I bought from a gentleman in Noble Ville Indiana. He said it came from Goegia, spend the last 8years in Indiana. on the door rail it was wrote in pencial that in 1952 it had 82,000 miles on it. When I bought it had 84,000 miles. Now under complete restoration. This going tobe a driver to have fun with.
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye31 View Post
The only thing I know about my 30 ccpu is it was built in the NewOrleans plant , and the guy I bought it from was using it for a pond display with plants growing out of the cowl. and he purchased the truck from some one in slidell.
That's funny mine was rebuilt by a guy in Slidell. I don't have his name handy. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #25
montanafordman

My grandpa purchased my 1931 coupe roughly around 1962 from Cliff Ullman in Rudyard, MT. He put it in the garage where it sat for nearly 30 years until after he retired from farming in 1988. He began working on it around the spring of 1989 and had it back on the road sometime around 1993-1994.

I'll never forget my first ride in the car. It hadn't been upholstered yet and he had plenty of work left but we cruised around the dusty roads of his rural town of Gildford, MT anyway with my Grandpa sitting on a 5 gallon bucket while I sat on the floor since he didn't have the seat finished. We were both grinning ear to ear! He tinkered with it as much as his time, pateince and health allowed until his passing in 2008. He always said it was going to be my car one day and now you know.. the rest of the story!

I wasn't able to pick the car up since I didn't have a place for it until last september. The guy my grandfather bought the car from is still around and he wanted to meet me and show me a vintage auto, pioneer and dinasaur museum (three different buildings in a VERY small town) that he had a hand in puting together so I got a chance to visit with him a little when I was back in the old stomping grounds. He is 94 and still driving around and has volunteered a LOT of his time and resources putting together the three musueums and has a few cars he owned and restored in the car museum and lots of dinasaur fossils found on his land in the dinasaur museum. These museums were a community effort with many of the locals contributing that turned out quite well. This is all located in the tiny little town of Rudyard, MT on US HYW 2. Its VERY impressive for hardly being a dot on the map and I was pretty amazed. If you're ever cruising across Montana's highline you should check the museums out! You might even get to meet Cliff, he's an interesting guy that gets around VERY well for his age. He sure seemed to like the hugs he was getting from the ladies though... I hope to be like that when I"m 94!

Here is a photo of me with the guy my grandpa bought his Model A from back in the early 60s. Taken right before I trailered it home from Montana.

montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #26
tribouboys

My father purchased his 1930 Tudor from Morrison's junk yard (East Dixfirld Maine) in 1959. The tudor was being used as a dog house at that time. He put the car together and ran it for 20 years as his regular transportation. Illness forced the sale of the car. I purchased the car back in 2000 and continue to enjoy it today.
tribouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #27
Topdownfun

My '28 Tudor--gas tank stamped date of 10-11-28, and assembled in San Francisco, was purchased used in 1930 by a family friend of my dad's. It was his family's only car until 1973, and was driven daily until his arthritis got bad and he parked it in his garage and got a used car with an automatic transmission. For all those years he drove it to work at the Naval Supply Station in Oakland, CA.

In 1977, my dad acquired it from him. Only problem was that we lived in Southeast Missouri. So, we found an enclosed trailer, put the camper on the pickup, and took a week to go to CA and haul it back. It had an old Earl Schieb paint job, J.C. Whitney naugahyde interior, and 19 inch tires but was very solid, all original except for a replacement engine. We put a gallon of gas in it, dropped in a 6v tractor battery we had sitting around, aired up one tire, and it started right up.

My dad enjoyed driving it as a daily driver for several years; it was more fun than the pickup on the country roads around the farm, and it was better than a 2wd pickup in the snow. It was a common scene at the local coffee shop.

After he passed away, it sat in a dusty barn for several years before I got it out and hauled it to New Orleans in the early 90's, where I lived at the time. I completed a cosmetic restoration just in time for my transfer to Austin, TX, where it made the trip in an Allied van.

It now resides in one of my storage units, and doesn't get driven and enjoyed as much as it should--however that's going to change one of these days when I have more time on my hands.

TM
Topdownfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #28
HillbillyTim

My car was made in October of 1929 in Jacksonville FL and sold on November 4, 1929 at Miami Dade Ford to J.M. Tobbit c/o Burdines Inc. Burdines was a department store chain based in Miami Florida. Mr Tobbit paid cash for my car six days after the stock market crashed in '29. After he died his widow loaned it to her nephew who took it to Ohio for four years in the early 1950's. He returned it to Mrs. Tobbit who eventually sold it to Mr. Jameson who owned Ft. Lauderdale Tool and Die Corp.

Mr Jameson did work for Ford and the executives would come to Florida in the winter on "business" trips and he bought the car to have whe n they came to visit. Mr. Jameson moved to the town in Florida where my Dad lives, right around the corner from my Dad.

My Dad is a builder and was taking classes to renew his builders license. Mr. Jameson had hired someone to build an addition to his home and they did not finish the job, stealing $35,000 in the process. He asked my Dad to finish the job which my Dad did. One of the things my Dad learned in his builder's classes was that everytime a building permit is pulled in Florida a percentage of the fee goes to a fund to help people defrauded by dishonest builders. He brought the paperwork to Mr. Jameson to get 80% of his stolen money back from the state. Mr. Jameson told my Dad that he really owed him and Dad asked if he ever sold his Model A that he would like the opportunity to buy it.

About a year later he called my Dad and said that he was ready to sell. Dad called me and I went to Florida and bought the car. That was in 2000 and I've owned her for 12 years. She is a complete numbers matching car. I have the original bill of sale for her and the registrations for the four years she spent in Ohio. I am the third owner of a truly amazing little car. Her name is Moonpie.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4170017.jpg (86.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Moonpie 004.jpg (121.4 KB, 29 views)
HillbillyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
James G.

I found my 1931 Tudor listed in the Baltimore Sun back in early 1994. The owner was selling his A to pay for his daughters last year in college. Shame but good I found it. Withing a few weeks I was at the Maryland DMV with the the title doing a title search. They let you do that back then, now no more

The results listed 12 previous owners, one being a dealership who had it for 2 days. He took it on trade is my guess. This '31 Tudor, I named Miss Minnie, was purchased in SW Baltimore and lived on Bentalou Street until early 1941 when she move two doors to a neighbors house. She was there for another 10 years and then started to move around the northern part of Maryland. Miss Minnie has been a Maryland car all her life. Living with us now she has traveled over 41,000 miles from the Canadian Maritime to Shreveport, LA to Green Bay, WI. I just love Model A windshield time, winter or summer. Miss Minnie has always brought us home! She has never been restored, just well cared for!
James G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #30
gpits68

my wifes uncle purchased the 1929 open cab truck about 1967 in nelson county,va.it was not running and parked in the woods.he hot rodded it,removing the fenders,shortening the bed,and installing a chrysler hemi.we heard lots of stories about uncle gary and his hot rod.he parked it after a blown engine and it was forgotten about .after he passed away a few years ago,we were able to buy it and have been working toward making it a stock model a again.the two enclosed pictures are how i found it a few years ago and the second picture is it in 1969 with my mother in law in the seat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29 Model A resting.jpg (111.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Model A 2.jpg (38.9 KB, 55 views)
gpits68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #31
JimK1930A

I first saw this 1930 Model A Ford Coupe Deluxe in the fall of 2000 at an estate sale in Roseville, Minnesota. It was tucked away in the back of the garage covered with dust and four flat tires. I inquired if that old car was for sale?

The man said he was taking bids and would also interview the bidders to find out their intentions for the car. The son of the original owner was sentimental because his dad had recently died. Due to family issues, he could not keep his dad’s car. During the interview process, I learned about the original owner and the history of his car. I also made a promise to the son that I would not turn it into a hot rod.

My Model A was purchased in Brookings, South Dakota in 1930 by 19-year-old Vernon. His first new car! It was mainly driven to the dairy where he worked in Brookings and also to the town of White, about 17 miles away to visit relatives.

In the early 1940’s Vernon painted his car black, with a brush! If you look up close, you can still see the brush strokes with bristles stuck in the paint. The original factory color was two-toned green with a green pin stripe. The green colors can still be seen near the gas filler, in the trunk and under the hood, on the firewall, inside the door jams, and on the inside dash with green pin stripe. About one inch of green pin stripe still exists under the right cowl light.

The car was last licensed and driven in 1945. To prevent his car from being scrapped for the war effort, he hid the car under a tarp in the back of his parent’s garage. For unknown reasons his car sat in the back of that garage with only 1,979 miles on the odometer until 1971. When Vernon moved to Roseville, he brought his car with him in hope of getting it going again.

In July of 2000, Vernon died. In September, I adopted the car, named it “Vernon”, and got it going again. Inside the car are the original floorboards, mohair upholstery on the seats, rear deck, and door panels. It still has the original kick panels, headliner, and rear window shade too! The dome light doesn’t work, but the wood grained dash panel and windowsills are in excellent condition.

My friend and I rebuilt the engine, transmission, brakes, front and rear axles.
In the trunk, I found brackets, taillights, arrow turn signals, and a radiator cap with an Arrow Meter temperature gauge. I have them all mounted on the car in hope that this is the way Vernon would have wanted it.
JimK1930A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #32
rickmass

I wish i knew the history of my 29 ford pick up;bought from a guy who buy,s them ,an sell,s them.Bought my in 2010 still working on it,hope to drive it this year.Rickmass
rickmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #33
DanK

My Grandfather bought my March of 28 Tudor new. He was working as a Ford mechanic at a dealership in a small town in southwest North Dakota and it is the first Model A that dealership sold. When he died, my Grandmother decided it was an old junk car and wanted to sell it so I bought it. I'm getting close to retirement so finishing the restoration will be my first retirement project. (I started the restoration several years ago but back problems had it on hold for quite awhile.)
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #34
Clem Clement

My 30 Cabbie has lost her original heritage. But when we had her reapolstered, there was a card in the door with the name of the guy who rebuilt her in New England in the 60's.

Think about taking the time to write up your cars history and place copes in your car. Under the trunk mat, in the door slipped down past the window, stuffed in the springs of the seat, etc. The next generation might appreicate having what you know.
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #35
28Ca8149

I have a 1928 AR and a 1930 165 C .Both of these cars were sold new by Max Zabel our local Ford dealer .they would be made in Regina Saskatewan I bought the AR from Max's mechanic, Bob Johnson in 1955 for $225.It has the original spare tire ,seat covers and top yet with 74500 miles on it. The Fordor Murry has 29000 miles on it .I am the third owner, paid $ 50 in 1970 .It has original Goodyears on it .They have been in side since before I got them .They are Febuary cars .The AR has a honey comb radiator and they both have single plate glass windshields from the factory.
28Ca8149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #36
Chris in WNC

our first Tudor's history search dead-ended at 1978.
second Tudor no better at 1983.
unrestored Coupe we had history back to new but no names for first 2 owners (I was #6).
third Tudor back to the early 1950s
Town Sedan back to late 1980s.

'37 Plymouth, '35 Chevy and '58 Chevy truck -history known back to new.

when you don't get good history from the seller, it becomes a fun but often frustrating search......

Last edited by Chris in WNC; 02-23-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #37
George Miller

I do not know all the History on my 1928 Sports Coupe, but I do from 1938 on. I first heard about it 1960 when a friend in NG with me got it. I got it in 1999.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #38
eagle

I know a good share of the history of mine. I have corresponded with the widow of the owner from the 50's until 2 years before I bought it. She actually did the upholstery on it, its all wool and still looks great. Was done sometime in the 60's. The car was painted and canvas top replaced in the 50's. They bought it when they lived in Colorado. Was used as a movie car in Hollywood, when they moved to California. She talked about loading up the kids in the Model A and driving to the beach when her husband was working, said it never, not once let her down! Moved with them to New York, then to Minneapolis when they retired. They drove it when they moved, didn't trailer it. He was a medical research doctor. It has step plates with a dealership name on them from Colorado so I imagine that is where it was bought new and stayed until they bought it, early 50's. The history of a car is not important to some but I really enjoyed learning about it. I have some proof pictures from the last movie it was in, "The Spirits of St Paul" filmed in downtown St Paul, MN.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #39
donQ

My 29 AA ruck was purchased new for use on a farm in Clifton Springs. This truck labored through the depression and WWII. It was used as a back up vehicle after 1953 and then stored in a barn. The owner passed away in 1970 and the car sold to parties in Dansville New York. The truck was partially submerged in hurricane Agnes in 1972. The owner sold it with other flood cars to a party in Webster N.Y where I purchased it. The truck stayed in my barn for over 30 years. I completed restoration in 2013 and gave the daughter of the original owner, now in her 80's a ride in the truck. I am only the second registrant of this vehicle.
donQ
donQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:18 AM   #40
700rpm

The first owner bought my 1929 Tudor off the showroom floor in Portland, where it was assembled on July 17, 1929. He was a farmer who lived in Estacada, about 25 miles out of Portland. In 1953 he parked it in his barn where it stayed until 1961. A local collector bought it in June of 1961, and I convinced him to sell it to me on July 1, 1961. So I am almost the 2nd owner. The car was complete and virtually all original, except for a replacement wiper motor. The most unusual feature of the car was the color of the wheels. They were a deep blue-green. I've never seen any others like them, nor ever read anything about that color. I have regretted many times over the years painting them black, but I was young and ignorant and those things happen when you're like that.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #41
tagroff

My Grandfather bought it new then passed it on to my dad and when my dad passed it came to me.. It is kind of neat though my Aunt said she has pictures of it with the bed off and logs strapped to the frame that her and my grandmother hauled to a location that my father and grandfather were building a log cabin.

1928 Roadster Pick Up
tagroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #42
LarryinWA

Bought mine in 1959 in Ontario, California when I was 16 from another high schooler who had just rebuilt the engine in shop class. Do not know the history before that since it has no numbers on where it was built but it has no body rust so must be CA car.
LarryinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #43
cp5491r

My Tudor was supposedly used as a milk delivery in Dodge, NE. My dad bought it in the late 50's and we didn't get around to restoring until the mid 80's. My coupe was owned by a nurse in Fremont, NE. A man purchased it from her and partially disassembled it after his boys had driven it to school for several years. My father and I bought it together and restored it in the 80's also.
cp5491r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #44
leo

I can trace the documented (title) ownership of my car back to the 1960 owner but nothing before that. I live in New Jersey and it appears that the state does not maintain any motor vehicle records prior for more than 7 years. Do any of you other New Jersey people know anything more than that? I find it hard to believe there is no archiving of historical data for criminal investigative purposes.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #45
29Cabriolet

I acquired the Cabriolet from my Dad who is still on this side of the grass, but can no longer enjoy all of the things he did during his 30 year retirement. He built this car (and others) during his retirement which began in 1984. This one was purchased completely disassembled for the mere price of $300 and rebuilt from the ground up. I am sure there are parts from several different vehicles. In fact, the engine is from a '32 B. I am now in the process of replacing/repairing the gas tank and am learning more and more about the car as I proceed through what began as and continues as a pretty daunting task for a newbie!
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #46
Tiny

My car came with DMV registrations back to the late 60's to the same name and address in Modesto California. I bought it from a gentleman in Marin county who had bought it from the widow of the guy on those regs. He had only owned it for about two years when I got it and had done nothing with it. My car is a SF assembly plant car so my guess is that it has never been out of California. I also believe that the body never been off the frame. I have tried to track down a phone number for the widow but have had no luck. The guy I bought it from said she was a shut in and a friend of hers brokered most of the deal and he only met her for a moment to give her the money. So i'm guessing ill never know any more
Old 02-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #47
SkipShift

My car was purchased by Hiram Boylan March 1931. He was an machinist at Ford, Highland Park and a minister. I have the names and mileage from the next 5 owners. I'm the 7th.

Last edited by SkipShift; 03-04-2014 at 05:49 PM.
SkipShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #48
glenn in camino

I've owned 5 of my 6 Model As longer than any of their previous owners. I am their history.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #49
1crosscut

I'm the third owner of my AA. The two previous owners were on farms less than two miles apart from each other. I wrote the history of the truck on the inside panel of the passenger door. This way the history will stay with the truck.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:24 AM   #50
olut

Hi,
One of these beauties landed in Vienna, Austria. A few weeks ago I bought it from the previous Austrian Owner in Kufstein (State of Tirol, the state of the famous Austrian ski champions....) and he impored this vehicle from Coyote Classics, 702 N 1st Str. Suite A, in Greende IA 50636.

The previous known owner has been Eugene Mayer, 129 W Main Str. Osage, IA 50461.

These info are all I have from the certificate of title to the vehicle.

In Europe there is a keen interest to know the entire history of a classic vehicle and I am trying my best to learn more about previous owners.

My question to this community is this: with these known information plus the VIN of the vehicle, is there any chance to find out more about the vehicles history ? It looks, that the vehicle has always been operated in the state of Iowa. Are there any historical VIN records by Ford to know, who the first dealer and first owner was ?

I tried to get into contact with Coyote Classics, but they did not response, I wanted to know, how long this vehicle has been in their ownership, if a renovation has been carried out that time or if it has been done some time before.

My 1929 Roadster Pickup is 98% original, the engine and suspension has been done in Austria, practically new, the body has been old but in a 99,9% corrosion free condition, however some paint work has been done and now I wait for a new top.

In Europe these Pickup Roadsters are very rare...

Any helpful advises for learn more about my vehicles history are very much appreciated,
Best Greetings from Vienna
Albert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-1.JPG (180.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by olut; 03-02-2014 at 06:31 AM.
olut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #51
fmdave

My 1930 Coupe was purchased new by my Grandfather in 1930. He died the following January. My dad was five. The car stayed on the farm near Avon, Il. and eventually my dad drove it when he turned 16. Dad went to the end of WWII but when he returned he drove the car back and forth from the farm to our house in town. I actually got to sit on his lap and drive the car before it eventually broke and got parked. It was my "playhouse" when I was young. It sat and deteriorated until it was eventually sold in the mid 60s. I always wondered where it went and when I got older and had the money, I decided to try to find it. It took one phone call to the son of the man that bought it from my dad. The car had been "restored" in the early 80s but needed a lot of mechanical work. I bought it back in 2003 and have had a wonderful time with it. I consider myself as the "curator" of this one car museum and never intend to part with it again.
fmdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #52
Tom Cavallaro

All I know about my Model A is; according to the number on the engine, which is my title number, is September, 1930. A man in the Berlin NJ area had a used car lot who secured the car in 1972 from the original owner. He liked the car enough to park it in his garage, untitled till he sold it in 2006, to a neighbor whom owned a auto repair shop in the Tansboro NJ, area. This man purchased the Model A only to chop and modify, as he was already involved doing so with a 1954 ford hardtop, and a 1956 Fairlane convertable. A friend saw the 1930 on south jersey Craig's list and knew I was looking for an antique, brought it to my attention. I answered the ad with a phone call, went there after work saw the car, walked around the block about five times before calling again. When I did he said there was a man in the NY, area interested in it too. I purchased the car and he agreed to flatbed it to my address (about ten miles) upon our agreement was when he had to title the car in his name at that time. It took three weeks for him to accomplish this because of a sales tax issue. The man whom he had purchased it from, the state had no records,(never titled)and now that man had alztimers sp and didn't remember which car he sold. Don't know how but for three weeks I had a car with no title, finally showed up with a title so technically I am the fourth owner, but the title shows me as number three. I made this purchase in 2009, and asked him why he was selling, and he said he needed the money for payroll trying to keep his men working, so desperate at the time, he had his men splitting firewood to make ends meet.

Last edited by Tom Cavallaro; 03-02-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Tom Cavallaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #53
amishman

Smile Re: the history of your car ???????

I have the complete history of my 1930 Murray Townsedan. Mr Howard Crofoot,a farmer,from Newago, Mich. bought it new on May 19, 1930 at the Spier Ford Motor Sales, in Newago. And I have the original title, that states he paid $552.00 and making 12 payments of $46.00 per month. He sold the car to a Mr. John Keuvelaar in Grand Rapids, Mich. on June 11th, 1963. So the car only moved 36 miles to the south of Newago. A Mr. Thomas Blinn of Greenville, Mich., an Art teacher in Greenville schools, bought the car on August 11th, 1981, so the car only moved 34 miles this time, I bought the car from Mr. Blinn in August 2014, and drove the car with a blown head gasket 35 mile to my house. So the car has not traveled very far from the original point of sale. He did take the car to the National convention in Green Bay, Wi. once. In looking over the paper work and picture he gave me, I see that he had had an article published in the MARC News of Jan. 1988, but he never mentioned that to me. So I have no idea what he wrote about. He did say that Henry Ford had hired his Father as a civil engineer to work on the Rogue Plate. Mr Blinn is 88 years old, I hope to talk to him again and get more history. I had the engine rebuild and think I'm ready to drive the car to Puyallup, Wa this summer to the National convention.
amishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #54
plind

Hi..
I have full history on my Early Tudor. (A 2820).. And my Town Sedan 1931, there have been one owner before me on TS..
If you use Google translate, you can see more info on www.forda1927.dk

Per,

Tudor * A 2820 *

Town Sedan * A 4472283 * Orig.never restored.
plind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #55
Dean Harris

Just purchased a 1930 Tudor from none other than AJ Foyt. He had purchased several years ago from a widow near Houston who was clearing out her late husbands things. Mr Foyt was trully a gentleman and we have really enjoyed working on and cruising in this awesome piece of history !
Dean Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #56
29rdstrpu!

A farmer in Illinois bought my 29 roadster pick-up new in 1957 he traded it in on a new pick-up the 29 had 57,000 miles.The dealer kept it for 2 years as a shop truck then in 59 my Dad bought it,in 2007 it was left to me.
29rdstrpu! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #57
bartmcneill

Bought my 1930 tudor sedan from a guy in Arlington Texas who had purchased it some years back from a Museum in Kentucky. Pretty decent old car. That is all the history I have though. www.picturetrail.com/bartmcneill to see it
bartmcneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #58
Dick Carne

Our '29 Briggs Town Sedan was originally purchased in western Kansas by the grandfather of a Mr. Clifford Acheson. The car was passed down from the original owner to his son, and ultimately to the late Mr. Acheson (the original owner's grandson), who I understand passed away sometime in the early to mid- 1990's. Mr. Acheson's widow sold the car in 2005 to Paul Kruse, who immediately listed the car on e-bay in mid-June of 2005. We purchased the car from Mr. Kruse. With that said, the car has undergone a number of "modifications" to transition it from a standard fordor to a Town Sedan, to include a cowl section and cowl band from a Murray TS, interior window frames and garnish mouldings from four other separate, different sources, etc., etc. All tolled, the current "composition" contains parts and pieces from probably between fifteen an twenty different donors [dome light, wheels, horn, steering column and sector (two different sources), internal metal brackets and braces, rear floor pan, rear valence, B-engine, etc.), so in one sense, it might arguably be considered more of a "mongrel" than an original car.

I've only been able to trace the history on our touring car to the early 1960's (we purchased the car in an un-restored state in 1965), and our roadster to the mid-seventies (I purchased this car in 1977).
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #59
Charlville

I bought my 1929 Sport Coupe from a dealer in New York State last year, the previous owner was from PA. I then had it shipped to the UK. Would love to find out some more history one day.
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #60
29ModelA

Our car was purchased new in CA, it was assembled in LA. Supposedly by the uncle of the lady we got it from. She inherited it, they never even transferred it to her name. They just parked it in a barn for 40 years.

It was unchanged except for some 30/31 wheels and some model B parts on the engine.

I wish I had the info like the dealer etc. that sold it, but the lady was a hoarder and if she even had it would never have been able to find it in that house. Even she is gone now, so I likely will never know the rest.

It had 1968 CA black plates when I got it, how it survived the hot rod scene unscathed is beyond me.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote