Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2016, 09:01 PM   #21
RockHillWill

Default Re: Model A items to be worked on at the 2016 Redneck Roundup

Hello Logan. Peter has not scheduled his class for this year, but has said that he will keep me posted. I see that you are doing extremely well in your new endeavors.

This was the last day and no one wanted to go home. What a collection of pleasant and talented gentleman! My shop machines have been updated and made much more useful than before. Patman updated my power hammer with new custom made die sets, Jim Hery updated and refined my collection of Vixen files, Per made me new slappers from my wife's front bicycle forks, Andrew Slater made a new hammer for me and a wide assortment of attendees made new panels for the first time and continued work on older projects. I received one of only 38 'wooden' shoes made by Ben Von Berlo . He made it on the newly designed MecHammer in short order. Ben is a wonderful gentleman in addition to being a world class metal shaper. I am not going to be able to correctly remember everything and every one at this time, but please know that I appreciate all those that attended.

We were once again blessed with a large amount of door prizes. Huge help from Front Row Motorsports, Mike and Sue Yurko, Kent White, Dagger tools, Gulley Performance, Fay Butler, Ben's Metalshaping, Per (Metalman Sweden), Custom Rides (Patman) and Ron Fornier. Many others stepped up and helped with some GREAT stuff to share with all the attendees. Steve Hamilton, Metal Union, Pat's Hot Rods, Bill Longyard, Cary Culpepper.

Stan Lobitz provided an extremely tasty Fried chicken supper for all of us on Thursday, we had a catered southern barbecue on Friday and today
my good friend Paul Crosby made a great lunch of hamburgers and hot dogs and then a special supper of Bourboned chicken, pasta, fruit salad, chips and a dessert. Thank Paul!

I am happy to mention that Bens MecHammer that he just revealed for the first time anywhere was acquired for my good friend Jimmy Matthews, I hope that means that I might be able to squeeze in some hammer time from time to time. I want to especially thank Ben for spending so much time with us and allowing us to use the new MecHammer. The more we all used it the more impressed we became with its ability to vary the speed and/or force, the selection of dies and the ability to change among them without having to adjust the arms each time. NICE JOB Ben!!!

We repaired a Model A front fender for Paul Crosby, then scanned it with a 3D printer. Scott White will modify the point cloud and send it to me in an .iges format, and I will make a wooden egg crate buck for it. We have previously scanned a sedan rear fender that I will also make a buck for. The water jet pieces that were made for the Bugatti door latch plates arrived on Friday and Scott White brought the 3D printed brass latch pivot bars and they fit together for the very first time.

Cass Nawrockis's new book sold like hotcakes. Excellent work Cass!

Sat-a 001.jpg

Sat-a 002.jpg

Sat-a 003.jpg

Sat-a 004.jpg

Sat-a 005.jpg

Sat-a 007.jpg

Sat-a 009.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 02-27-2016 at 09:33 PM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:08 PM   #22
RockHillWill

More Pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sat-a 011.jpg (158.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Sat-a 012.jpg (171.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Sat-a 014.jpg (170.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Sat-a 016.jpg (191.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Sat-a 019.jpg (169.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Sat-a 021.jpg (185.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Sat-a 022.jpg (191.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #23
RockHillWill

Last Pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sat-a 024.jpg (159.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Sat-a 028.jpg (152.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #24
RockHillWill

For those of you that were unable to attend the classes put on by Per and Patman you missed a surprisingly educational hands-on seminar about building many panels with an attention to panels for a fender buck put together by these gentleman. They stayed another day to weld together panels from one of the classes. They did an exceptional job of instruction and you can see the results. This was a particularly difficult panel; because of the small features and reverses. If you have an opportunity to attend a class by either or both of these gentlemen, please take advantage if that opportunity. It is important that this mentoring continue thru these younger guys as those with the skills and the willingness to teach are getting few and far between.

Sun-1 001.jpg

Sun-1 019.jpg

Sun-1 020.jpg

Sun-1 021.jpg

Sun-1 022.jpg

Sun-1 024.jpg

Sun-1 032.jpg
Old 02-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #25
RockHillWill

Jim Hery was instrumental in the work done on the Model A Speedster this week. His keen eye and immense talent, along with some help from both Per and Patman has stepped up this build to a new level. Subtle changes in a few locations and attention to small details have vastly improved the aesthetics of this build. Jims ability to 'finish' a panel is legendary, and there were many time during the week where there might have been 10-12 guys just watching in awe as he finished the rear panel and the tail 'fin' area. We started the build using a powered bead roller to install the character lines, but it was quickly pointed out that the Pullmax was going to be both quicker and more accurate in dimensions. The panels are either just sitting there, or taped in place, waiting for finish trimming and the installation of the Dzus fasteners, followed by the installation of louvers.

Sun-1 008.jpg

Sun-1 009.jpg

Sun-1 010.jpg

Sun-1 011.jpg

Sun-1 014.jpg

Sun-1 016.jpg

Sun-1 017.jpg
Old 03-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #26
RockHillWill

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I want to make sure that everyone here recognizes how much I appreciate the door prizes that were provided for the Redneck Roundup. Front Row Motorsports and Mike and Sue Yurko once again provided a huge box of racing memorabilia, accessories shop tools including some high end rivet sets. Kent White, AKA 'TheTinman' sent a very nice collection of his business offerings that included many gas welding aluminum items and there was a visible degree of jealousy when I handed out one of his famous 'green' aluminum gas welding lenses. Patman outdid himself by offering up for raffle, an outstanding 'fabri-cobbled' shop tool cart/stand. Per (MetalmanSweden) hand made a pair of slappers from the front forks of my wifes bicycle, one of which found it's way into the door prize 'bucket'. Craig Peterson from Dagger tools not only sent a very large box of his sought after wooden mallots and sandbags, but many other metal fabricating items as well. Craig also set up a table from which attendees could purchase more of the Dagger Tool line. Peter Tommasini sent an entire set of his metal shaping DVD's, and a fight almost broke out when they were handed out, LOL! Fay Butler, again sent some items including a set of large radius gauges. Ben Von Berlo, in addition to providing daily demo's of the new Mechamer II provided some of his sought after small radius gauges and introduced his new 3-D printed scribe tool set. Metal Union sent some hats and T-shirts. William Longyard and Ron Fornier provided autographed copies of their metal shaping books, and Jerry Gulley once again sent one of the aluminum airplane kits.

Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny provided some assorted 'goodies' as well.

Attendees that took the time to hand build some items for the door prizes include Cary Culpepper who made his sought after TuckPucks, Dan Shady brought some handmade items including one of the hand held vixen files and a slapper. Andrew Slater (SWT Racing) made several clever magnetic holders for the sharpies and Pat McKutchen brought some hand made aluminum file handles. The greatest single personal effort was provided by Stan Lobitz who had to overcome a number of 'roadblocks' to personally prepare and present the greatest fried chicken that I have ever had for lunch/supper on Thursday. His concerted effort will long go down in history showing that Pollocks and Rednecks can inter-mingle safely. Stan also brought one of his Polish soft drink bottles. On the bottom it says 'Open Other End'

Also, I want to say thanks to Cass Nawrocki for making available autographed copies of his new book.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #27
RockHillWill

I just wanted to share the creative abilities of 'Patman' Brubaker that was on display at the Redneck Roundup. Patman sent this shop tool in advance of the classes and the meet, then offered it in a raffle and donated the proceeds to the Redneck Roundup. It is the greatest outpour of talent and generosity that I have encountered in my recent memory. I want to take this moment to sincerely thank Pat for both his talent and the size of his heart. Keep your eyes open and focused on this young man, as he clearly has a future of the metal shaping industry. Thanks 'Patman'.

Current1 005.jpg

Current1 006.jpg

Current1 007.jpg

Current1 008.jpg
Old 03-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #28
RockHillWill

I have never had such a good time at any metal shaping event. I got so absorbed that I did not take many pictures, but here are a few that I found lately. Folks were laughing at times so hard that they had tears in their eyes. The high degree of humor made most of us open up to not only listening and learning, but they were more open to sharing ideas as well. Everyone's ego was left at the door and there was no degree of overbearing and everyone was sharing ideas left and right. The tool exchange is always the best part of the event for me, but there were so many to pick from that I was engulfed in lusting after the next tool up. The photos show, among other things, the Bugatti grill shell buck. Other pictures show 'Patman' making a die holder for my power hammer that he is shown making a double reverse panel in the last photo. I watched 'Patman' do this in less than two minutes. Check out the finish. One photo shows a series of 6-RH and 6-LH Bugatti door latch plates. Cad drawings were mad on Thursday night and emailed to my friend David Bolding who delivered them to us on Saturday morning.

Ta 005.jpg

Wed-b 003.jpg

RS1 018.JPG

Ta 006.jpg

Fri-a 017.jpg

RR3-1 005.JPG

RS1 004.JPG