Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2016, 08:15 AM   #1
RockHillWill

Default Announcement of the upcoming 'Redneck Roundup'

For those of you that have an interest in metal shaping as part of your Model A restorations, this is a copy of what I have posted on the metal shaping sites. I offer it here as I have had two cancellations, and am just spreading the word. PM me if you have an interest.

This is a confirmation for the holding of the upcoming Redneck Roundup #3, being held on February 25th, 26th and 27th. We have a number of extremely talented folks that look like they are going to be in attendance and I am excited about that. It is my thinking that this is all about sharing ideas, so I would ask that the 'newbies' understand this is not a place to get work done that you won't / can't do at home. My shop is rather small compared to Dan's and Kerry's, so I would ask that those of you that want to bring projects, bring a smaller one until I figure out how my shop spacing is going to adapt to the attendance. I have added some more tables, lights and a hot water heater. I DO encourage bringing a small project as there will be plenty of advice and teaching available.

The two classes being held by Per(Metalman Sweden) is shaping up to be one of the better presentations that has been offered. he will be helped at this event by Pat (Patman) Brubaker, and I have been gathering items for the classes and am getting boxes of demo items from both Per and Patman. I hope to entice Scott White to maske a presentation about the 3D scanning that is being done on the Bugatti for Jim Hery. I am expecting Jim to bring some gas tank panels that I made to assemble and also the Bugatti grill buck. Ben VonBerlo from Holland will be debuting his new MecHammer at the meet as well. It is a VERY impressive machine. Bill Longyard will be in attendance and will have some of his metal shaping books to both sell and autograph. I am hopeful that Kerry Pinkerton will be in attendance with his Imperial wheels I have two large Imperial 'clones' and it is also possible that one of the Australian Peter Tommassini wheeling machines owned by Jimmy Matthews will be in town by then. Joe and Peggy Andrews from Hoosier Profiles have indicated they will attend and I have asked Joe if he would give a seminbar/chat about how they go about provided such high quality English wheels and anvils and hand tools. Craig Peterson from Dagger Tools will be in attendance as well and has offered to bring an assortment of his tools for sale. I will be inviting Peter Tommassi and other 'notables' as well.

My shop is a one-man shop, but I have a pretty good assortment of equipment, so at this point I am asking for perhaps one English Wheel, a sand bag or two for sharing. For yourselves, perhaps you two most used hammers and dollies, air tools, maybe an air hose. I would advise a pen and notebook as well. Your own portable work bench would help, and to bring your own chair(s) would be a REAL good idea.

I would expect that if you are going to either work or watch that you bring your own gloves, safety glasses, ear protection and welding helmets. I have a few extras, but not enough for everyone.

We will be having a tool exchange. To participate you need to HAND MAKE a small metal shaping related tool with a value of about $25 - $35 dollars. On Saturday afternoon those items will be put on display and a ticket provided to each of the participants and as their ticket is drawn from a hat they will be given a choice of what is on the table. I think this is a GREAT idea (not mine) and would encourage your participation.

We will also have a small swap meet area set aside in the event you might have a small tool or shaping item that you have for sale. The swap meet items should be light enough to be hand help and sit on a table .The folks in attendance either are, or will be your friends, so price accordingly.

I have some allergy issues, so the shop is a smoke free environment, but smoking outside will not be a problem. My wife hates cigarette butts on the ground, so I will have 'butt' cans strategically located.

Most of my shop is air conditioned and has an inside bathroom (recently added hot water for gas weld aluminum cleaning) Saturday lunch will be a catered barbecue meal, that you will need to sign up for on Friday.

We have received very generous offers donations for door prizes again this year. Last year some folks got some VERY nice items, for which I am most appreciative.

Here is a link to the scheduled list of attendees. If you are unable to attend, be kind enough to notify me so that I might invite those on the waiting list.
http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=14274

We are located on the York, S.C. side of Rock Hill, S.C., about 200 yards off Route 5. Rock Hill, S.C. is just south of the border between the Carolinas, near Charlotte, N.C.

There are numerous Motels and Hotels in Rock Hill about 6 miles away, but there is a reasonably new Deluxe Inn and Suites in York, S.C. that is also 6 miles away, but traffic would be MUCH better. Plenty of fast food sources (including Taco Bell) in either direction.

The Deluxe Inn and Suites address is: 1568 E. Alexander Love Hwy., York, S.C. 29745. Phone: 803.684.2525, Fax: 803.684.6504.

Their website:
http://www.deluxeinnyork.com/

MEET EXPECTATIONS
Excerpts from AllmetalShaping Website

A lot of folks want to know what they can expect from at metal shaping gathering. Expectations run both ways, what YOU can expect, and what the hosts expect from YOU.

You can expect to get involved with projects, to have access to tools, equipment, and metal, work on your own projects, learn a ton, meet some great people, and generally have a ball. Some events provide metal some events you are asked to buy material.

Generally speaking, folks who host one of these are taking some pretty big risks for no, or little, gain.

- They are taking time from their normal work to clean and organize their shop, both before and after the event.

- They are exposing their tools to use, abuse, and loss (yes, it has happened more than you might think).

- They are out of pocket for expenses such as port-a-pottys, drinks, food, supplies, metal, gas for welders, etc.

- They are probably going to have some work to do in their lawn from damage by the cars and trucks that park/drive there.

If we want to continue to have people open up their shops and host event's WE need to make sure WE do our part so here is a list of "DO's and DON'Ts"

DO- Register however the host specifies. It's really hard to plan if the host has no idea how many people are going to show up.

DO- Fill out a Registration form and Liability Release when you first arrive at the event.

DO- Wear your name tag. Believe it or not, everyone doesn't know you.

DO- Ask before using tools. Make sure you know how to operate and adjust them and have the owners permission. Lots of attendees bring gear also.

DO- Put things back where you found them.

DO- Ask before bringing a project. Shop space is ALWAYS limited. Don't just assume you will be able to bring your car and other people will chop it for you etc.

DO- Be aware and respectful of others. Watch where you are throwing sparks. If you're going to start making a lot sparks or noise, let people know. If a bunch of guys are talking, don't just fire up the planishing hammer without asking if they mind.

DO- Follow the Golden Rule.

DO- Put your fair share in the kitty.

DO- Bring and use your personal safety gear. (Glasses, gloves, hearing protection, welding helmet, etc)

DO- Ask before cutting up a piece of metal. Make sure the host knows what you will need and gets compensated for the costs. Metal isn't cheap.

DO- Help clean up after yourself and others. There are always brooms and dust pans laying around. Empty water bottles and drink cans go in trash cans not on tables or the floor.

DO- Ask before smoking inside the shop.

DO- Take notes, take photos, learn, share, play nice, HAVE FUN!

DON'T- Dominate a work space. On peak days, things usually get crazy and space is at a premium.

DON'T- Assume there is room for your project. Talk to the host beforehand about what you might need for space.

DON'T- Dominate equipment. Let other folks have their turn

DON'T- Get irritated if someone changes tooling from what you were using. It's just part of the process.

With one exception (who is no longer a member here for different reasons), no one that we're aware of has actually tried to run a gathering for profit. They do it to spend time with friends, learn, share and grow.

That said, there are costs associated with hosting a meet. Usually there is a donation jar and if pushed to put a 'price', the number of $30/day/participant seems to be about average for the hosts to cover event costs.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 02-01-2016 at 08:39 AM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:25 AM   #2
RockHillWill

Default Re: Announcement of the upcoming 'Redneck Roundup'

One of the openings has been filled. thanks.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
RockHillWill

Default Re: Announcement of the upcoming 'Redneck Roundup'

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I still have one opening left. The last one was filled, but another has come available.

The gentleman that has been doing the 3D scanning on the Bugatti project will be presenting a seminar on scanning and we will be using the scan data that has been retrieved from scanning a '30-'31 Sedan rear fender here at the shop. A wooden egg crate buck is likely to follow at a later date.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 02-05-2016 at 08:09 PM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote