Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Planojc

Default Carberator woes, Help

59AB with a 94 carb. Engine runs like a top at about 900 rpm’s and up, but at idle it runs rough, stumbles and pops. Looking down the throat of the carb. I can see gas dripping from the main nozzle on the driver side down on the throttle plate, thus causing the popping sound. I have checked the float level, float valve and can’t seem to solve the problem. Fuel pump pressure is at 2.5 lbs. Any ideas?
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Ross F-1

Default Re: Carberator woes, Help

Power valve? Would seem to affect both sides tho.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
dude

I agree, power valve.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
supereal

Replacement power valves often have a radius where they screw into the carb bowl. If so, they need to be put in a lathe and turned flat so the gasket will seal. If you have ever had a backfire thru the carb, it is more than likely the diaphragm was damaged, allowing a leak into the manifold.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
Planojc

I have replaced the 5.5 PV and I always fill the float bowl with gas and let sit to check for leaks around the taper. The problem is that for some reason gas seems to be pulled up from the idle tube at idle and causing a drip out the bottom of the main nozzle down on the throttle plate. It looks like it's doing this only on one side.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
LOWRIDER

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Had the same problem on a 3x2 w/94's. I ended up setting the float levels lower than what the spec was.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #7
jimvette59

Is the float bowl vented. Is there a hole in the float bowl area. Just saying.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
Charlie ny
BANNED

Plano,
Not all PV's are created equal. If you can find the type with 4 small bleed holes around the shank you will find they are more trouble free than the window style.
I have these 4 hole style PV's with the correct gaskets. I machine the gasket face
as well.
Charlie ny
[email protected]
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
Planojc

I have tried three PV from working carbs. Problem still there.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
Bruce Compton, Canada

Hi : I've rebuilt well over 100 of these carbs and it's extremely rare to find one that does not have warped mating surfaces, both between the air horn and the main body as well as between the main body and the cast iron throttle body. The upper one is not that critical, but the lower one sure is. The power valve requires vacuum to hold it closed, and when the mating surfaces surrounding the power valve are warped, an air (vacuum) leak will not allow enough vacuum build-up to close the valve. Take the carb apart , remove the gasket between these two parts, match them up, and hold them together lightly and you will see light between the surfaces. Most guys overtighten the three screws here and that's what starts the warping. Apparently 8 in. lbs. is the required torque on these three screws. Actually the whole problem originated with a poor design as there should have been at least five screws surrounding the power valve, not just three. I remember as a teenager trying kit after kit to get these things working right and never could do it until I finally took the time to figure out what was actually going on. The warped surfaces can be milled flat if you have a machinist buddy, or you can file them flat if you are really careful and take your time. In either case a proper cleaning will be necessary to remove any filings. Good luck : Bruce
Bruce Compton, Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
flatjack9

Have you tried lowering the float level slightly? It may be that one throat is slightly more sensitive to air flow than the other, hence causing only one side to leak.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
41ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Compton, Canada View Post
Hi : I've rebuilt well over 100 of these carbs and it's extremely rare to find one that does not have warped mating surfaces, both between the air horn and the main body as well as between the main body and the cast iron throttle body. The upper one is not that critical, but the lower one sure is. The power valve requires vacuum to hold it closed, and when the mating surfaces surrounding the power valve are warped, an air (vacuum) leak will not allow enough vacuum build-up to close the valve. Take the carb apart , remove the gasket between these two parts, match them up, and hold them together lightly and you will see light between the surfaces. Most guys overtighten the three screws here and that's what starts the warping. Apparently 8 in. lbs. is the required torque on these three screws. Actually the whole problem originated with a poor design as there should have been at least five screws surrounding the power valve, not just three. I remember as a teenager trying kit after kit to get these things working right and never could do it until I finally took the time to figure out what was actually going on. The warped surfaces can be milled flat if you have a machinist buddy, or you can file them flat if you are really careful and take your time. In either case a proper cleaning will be necessary to remove any filings. Good luck : Bruce
Bingo!! The flatness and fit area is critical.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:29 AM   #13
Mart

Good info coming out in this thread. Thanks Bruce, Charlie etc.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #14
Planojc

Thanks Bruce and Flatjacj. This is the kind of information I was looking for. I will check and report back.
John
Old 09-16-2014, 03:49 AM   #15
Mart

I tore my twin 94's down and checked the flatness. they were both warped. I used abrasive paper on the table of my drilling machine and got them flat. havn't tried them yet, but thanks for the tip.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:10 AM   #16
Kurt in NJ

Another thing that can cause such problems --a twisted throttle shaft--one butterfly is more open than the other and it makes for problems at idle, but not noticed above idle
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #17
Charlie ny
BANNED

Plano,
What Bruce said x 2. I find it mandatory to machine the bowl and base flat
to achieve a proper vac seal. Sometimes the problem you are having goes further.
If the nozzle bars are not flat on the gasket faces where they meet the bowl OR
if the gasket faces on the bowl are not right where the nozzle bars seat that
messes things up in a hurry. One step further is the power valve gasket seat on
the bowl. That seat is as cast and occasionally not square with the pv threads....
all the soft squishey gaskets in the world won't make that situation go away......
the pv gasket face in that case must be machined. I made a bluing gauge to check
this face....9 out 10 will be ok....you may have #10.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #18
Planojc

Looks like Bruce nailed it. Warped at the two screw tabs big time. Also there may be some leaking around the throttle shaft. When replacing the gaskets I found I have two different types of gaskets and some are much thicker than the others. Can't remember where I got the thick ones but would think that they would seal better.