Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Greg way out West

Question Painting "Reveal's"

Hi Guy's

Getting ready to paint the "Reveal's". I did a test strip with the tape and had trouble getting it to go around a curve..I'am using the newer blue tape... Way back I used the old "Tan" tape,,,does it go around corner's better ?.Can't remember how I did it year's ago ? Do you mask it off at the edge or use the lip of the body ?

I wounder how Ford did it ? Did they mask it off or use some kind of Stencil deal to block it off ?

Thank's,

Greg out West
Greg way out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Mike

Default Re: Painting "Reveal's"

try fine line tape very thin, then use your blue tape on top of the fine line tape.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Ford supposedly used a stencil on some according to the P&R Manual however I am sure it was sloppy at best. The blue tape you are using is a plastic tape. I use 1/8th inch paper layout tape. The key IMO is to sand the edges down of almost all primer (bare metal showing is not an issue) is gone which helps define that area.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
glenn in camino

Go to your local auto paint store and get some 1/8" or 1/4" Fineline tape. It goes around corners easily and minimizes edge build-up. It's kinda pricey but it's worth it.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
ford1

every body has there way of painting, heres mine, buy a roll of 1/4" 3M automotive tape, then a roll of 3/4" 3M tape to finish off the masking, paint the revels before the body, you dont need to mask them off right now, let the paint go on an inch or so below the revel your painting, after it dries then mask off the revel using the 1/4" tape to go around the bends, then use the 3/4" tape on the 1/4" tape to finish masking off the revel, you can even use plastic electric tape to mask with, it bends easily,if you use the masking tape with all the wrinkles in it the paint will bleed under the wrinkles, and leave a very messy looking line, if you do use the wrinked tape just make sure you really smooth down the edges, sand off all paint that got on the body from painting the revels and paint the body, doing it this way you will only have one thin paint line to finish off, i finish my revels right where the bend blends into the body i use this method to paint the body lines and revels
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote