Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
BillyBobsSpeedShop

Default rumble lid to trunk lid

How difficult is it to change a 30 rumble lid to work as a trunk lid for a 29? I have the 29 trunk lid on the car now but it is has some decent rust issues on the lower inside of the deck lid, so i purchased a 30 rumble lid from a guy i know for a great price and want to use it as a trunk lid ( plus it isnt in that bad of shape). I know i have to use the 29 hinges that I have and try not to use the after market made in USA hinges because i hear that they are not that great. Also I know i have to fill the latch hole up top and move it down to the bottom and drill a new hole. will i have to also take the rumble lid apart the inner structure from the skin to install the latch? Also my 29 coupe has a T handle latch on it so I believe I will use that latch. any guidance would be appreciated.

Also would i be possible to put the 29 trunk hinges on the 30 rumble lid but leave the latch handle at the top and just make the trunk lid latch and loc from the top?

Thanks
Billy
BillyBobsSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: rumble lid to trunk lid

A 30 rumble will work fine on a 29. See why at my website:

Rumble Lids

Mounting the handle is not too hard. The latch face has the 2 mounting screws. The position is dictated by the center of the lid and the collar on the latch. When you find the center, put the latch in place with the collar against the underside of the sheet metal. Then figure out how to mark and make the holes for the screws and the rectangular opening. I forget how I did mine. I had to relocate the latch on the repro lid because when installed the collar did not touch the underside of the sheet metal. The latch also did not bring the top level with the body. Once I relocated the latch to the proper position everything just fit.
Hope that makes sense.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote