Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
John LaVoy

Default Egge Body Works

I'm trying to find information on the Egge Body Works company that was in Santa Ana, CA in 1930. They were the manufacturer of the bus MAFFI has for the museum. Since Ford never made a bus there isn't a for ad, but would like to find some sort of ad on the company that we could display with the bus in the museum.

So if you know of any ads or information regarding the company please let me know either here or through MAFFI.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
zzlegend

Default Re: Egge Body Works

Hey John, Do you know if Egge Body Works was somehow related to Egge Machine Company, that makes engine related parts? They are located in Santa Fe Springs Just curious. Maybe someone will post your answer. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
John LaVoy

I have the same thought and have sent an inquiry to my contact at Egge machine, they are in the same vicinity and with an unusual name and in business at the same time could be related some how.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
zzlegend

Those were my thoughts also John. Hope more information comes forward. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LaVoy View Post
I'm trying to find information on the Egge Body Works company that was in Santa Ana, CA in 1930. They were the manufacturer of the bus MAFFI has for the museum. Since Ford never made a bus there isn't a for ad, but would like to find some sort of ad on the company that we could display with the bus in the museum.

So if you know of any ads or information regarding the company please let me know either here or through MAFFI.
John,

One thing you can do is contact the Santa Ana City Library and ask them to look up in the 1930 City Directory and see if there is any information. Sometimes these are a BIG hit in locating people, business, ect. in certain areas. Plus companies always had advertisements in these books.

Maybe the local newspaper of the time!??

Maybe the California State Library in downtown Sacramento has some information. You can always take a drive down there after the morning rush hour!

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 05-08-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Not sure about other areas, but buses & almost all school buses were built locally in our area with tupelo gum plywood & wood framing placed on Model A trucks.

I rode in a hand made Model A school buses to kindergarten.

I remember both men who had contracts to build these school buses & was much later very interested in discussing their construction details.

Front fenders, windshield, & hood were black, sides of plywood body was an earth colored orange, & rear, (including rear door), had about 5" wide black & white stripes at a 45 degree angle.

It had an unpainted hardwod plywood floor, unpainted continuous fixed wood bench on both sides, & one continuous unpainted fixed wood bench in the middle. Side windows rolled down with a round chrome handle; entrance door was bi-fold. Roof was flat with a slight arch to shed ponding water -- roof was covered with an adhesively applied oil cloth granular material.

We thought it was funny that some older people in our rural area still referred to this school bus with a former term used in their day when horse drawn wagons were used to transport them to school, i.e., the "here comes the hack".
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote