Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
v8fordman

Default K R Wilson Combination Machine

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen an instruction manual for operating a KR Wilson combination machine? I have one that I would like to get going or either sell. Thanks for any insight. Email me at [email protected]
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
John

Default Re: K R Wilson Combination Machine

Please read the two emails sent referencing the combination machine.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:06 AM   #3
Wick

I sent a email also
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
Joe K

The KR Wilson machines are good for what they can do, but without a replacement full size crank, you're forced into boring using a modern boring setup. The KRW system was made when new parts could be secured from any Ford dealer, and the molds and reamer used for the crank line bore are not really of value with ground & polished cranks. And there in these or this function is about 70 percent of the original value of the machine.

As a COLLECTABLE, the machines have much attraction, along with most anything else marked "KRW."

I have seen a partial KRW Machine sell for as little as $200. And a complete original setup in the original box sell for $2800. And that a few years back.

Too bad the online presentation Rebabbiting & Rebuilding the Model A Engine the KRW Way by Steve Ross is not still online. The narrative connected with the complete pictured document exists at http://www.antiqueautoranch.com/mont...n/babbitt.html. You may be able to glean some value from. But alas a link he gives for the original document is a dead link.

AHA - I found the original Steve Ross document on Wayback Machine. Check it out as it was originally presented. https://web.archive.org/web/20040214...ss/modela.html

Another document Steve Ross prepared is the assay of original Model A babbitt, and a assay comparison to 1990s available "modern alternatives" from established sources. Another document of value seemingly lost into the ether -

AHA - another edit - I found the Babbitt document on Wayback at https://web.archive.org/web/20040216...s/babbitt.html

I have hard copies of both - Somewhere...

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 11-22-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
alexiskai

This is why I donate to Internet Archive. A great non-profit that does important preservation work.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
alexiskai

I exported these two pages from Internet Archive and formatted them as a combined PDF in case people want them for reference. Also corrected typos.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rebabbitting and Rebuilding The Model A Engine.pdf (409.8 KB, 137 views)
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
redmodelt

I know people that do very good T and A babbitt work using the KR Wilson rough boring bar/frame and ream. They have several sets of the reams that are ground and rough boring bars that are set to standard under sizes. It would be correct to say, as sold, the KR Wilson boring bar and ream were for standard size only, but there are work arounds. Heck, there are people out there that even just use the rough boring bar to do both rough and finish work. It's all in how you feed and the cutting edge on the tool bits. So in my opinion, a blanked statement that the KR Wilson combination machine and related tools are not usable, is not correct.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
I know people that do very good T and A babbitt work using the KR Wilson rough boring bar/frame and ream. They have several sets of the reams that are ground and rough boring bars that are set to standard under sizes. It would be correct to say, as sold, the KR Wilson boring bar and ream were for standard size only, but there are work arounds. Heck, there are people out there that even just use the rough boring bar to do both rough and finish work. It's all in how you feed and the cutting edge on the tool bits. So in my opinion, a blanked statement that the KR Wilson combination machine and related tools are not usable, is not correct.

Yes, you beat me to that statement. Tool makers with cylindrical grinders can (re)sharpen a reamer and make it undersized, ...and many bedplates that were worn have been converted to an oversized boring bar that has adjustable cutters. I have one that I use on T engine blocks and drive it with my Tobin Arp hydraulic drive motor.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote