Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
psogden

Default Gas tank question - 46 Mercury

What do any of you experts suggest to use as insulation between top of new tank and floorboard? Old tank has a couple of very original (and falling apart) strips of felt-like material. Hate to try to re-use these. Thanks in advance.
psogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Gas tank question - 46 Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by psogden View Post
What do any of you experts suggest to use as insulation between top of new tank and floorboard? Old tank has a couple of very original (and falling apart) strips of felt-like material. Hate to try to re-use these. Thanks in advance.
Go to your local automotive upholstery shop and pickup some jute (not rubber) carpet backing material of suitable thickness and cut as required. Tack glue in position.
That,s what I used.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 06-26-2017 at 07:23 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Go to your local automotive upholstery shop and pickup some jute (not rubber) carpet backing material of suitable thickness and cut as required. Tack glue in position.
That,s what I used.
Jute can collect moisture and will eventually begin to rust the top of the tank. Jute was used under rubber floor mats and that's why you see rusty floors in old Fords. Thin closed cell foam would be a better choice.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Why not use the tar like material that is used on more modern car/trucks?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Jute can collect moisture and will eventually begin to rust the top of the tank. Jute was used under rubber floor mats and that's why you see rusty floors in old Fords. Thin closed cell foam would be a better choice.
"can" and "eventually" sound like speculation and guessing. The original factory tank pads were 'Jute' and there was never a rust problem.
Replacement part providers who have the kits, supply jute pads like the originals were.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
supereal

Before I switched to a plastic tank, we used strips of inner tube rubber to line the straps. Metal tanks almost always develop pin hole leaks on the top from the road junk thrown up by the wheels when it gets wet. If you smell gas in or around the car, that is almost always the cause.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
edhd58

There is a oil soaked cloth that is used on the 42 between the front and rear gravel gaurds and the body. That's what I used. Is a very heavy cloth.
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
"can" and "eventually" sound like speculation and guessing. The original factory tank pads were 'Jute' and there was never a rust problem.
Replacement part providers who have the kits, supply jute pads like the originals were.
Ever see the floor boards under a jute padded floor mat when there has been a cowl vent leak or heater leak over the years? I think those rusty floor boards are more than just speculation and guessing. Jute holds water, plain and simple.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
rotorwrench

When you are comparing floor rust under carpet with jute padding, that's really not an accurate comparison. Carpet or rubber floor mats with just pad collect moisture due to the conditions that can occur in the cab plus Ford didn't do all that good a job at corrosion preventative measures for the steel there. Rubber floor mats are generally better but I remember watching old geezers hose out the floor area after a rains and muddy conditions warranted it.

The felt pads that were used on a lot of fuel tanks were narrow strips generally no more than 2-inches wide and around a foot long. The felt lasts forever and the tanks were tern plated from new so I don't recall ever seeing much corrosion of the top of a tank. The felt strips dry out a lot quicker if they get moisture up there. Foam of any kind does not last anywhere near as long. It will crumble to dust in those conditions after little more than 15 to 20-years or less depending on the quality of the foam. We still use felt padding in the engine baffles of airplanes and helicopters. It's the only thing that lasts any time at all under harsh conditions with heat and weather.

McMaster Carr is a good source for felt strips of various widths and thicknesses.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
34PKUP

Quote:
Ever see the floor boards under a jute padded floor mat when there has been a cowl vent leak or heater leak over the years? I think those rusty floor boards are more than just speculation and guessing. Jute holds water, plain and simple.
Water along with the lack of drainage and ventilation in the floorboards causes rust, not jute.
Even your suggested closed cell foam will entrap water under it.
I have never seen the top of a gas tank (where the jute is used) have any indication of rust because of it's presence.

Last edited by 34PKUP; 06-27-2017 at 11:38 AM.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
Darrell S

When removing the gas tank from my 48 I found no rust on the floor right over the tank and the jute strips were dry. The floor on the edges not protected by the tank and exposed have rust. I replaced the old strips with new ones.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Sure, I've seen heater leaks etc. on the floorboards over the years but have never seen one on top of a gas tank where the jute pads are located and well ventilated.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #13
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
Water along with the lack of drainage and ventilation in the floorboards causes rust, not jute.
Even your suggested closed cell foam will entrap water under it.
I have never seen the top of a gas tank (where the jute is used) have any indication of rust because of it's presence.
Really? I just pulled a gas tank that had some jute as padding and all the pin holes in the tank were under the jute.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #14
36rgtop

Quote:
Really? I just pulled a gas tank that had some jute as padding and all the pin holes in the tank were under the jute.
That's interesting, please post photos of the new-found pin holes so that I and others can see them and also on what year car were they found?
36rgtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:46 PM   #15
psogden

Thanks everybody for your input. Very helpful.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #16
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36rgtop View Post
That's interesting, please post photos of the new-found pin holes so that I and others can see them and also on what year car were they found?
I didn't anticipate you needed photos. I didn't realize that this thread would cause a full and complete investigation of my comments and observations. The tank is currently at a shop that repairs gas tanks. I'll send you a copy of the bill when I get it back if you need it. Actually if you want to pay the bill that would be great!
Old 06-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #17
AnthonyG

I used strips of sheet rubber I cut up.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #18
woodiewagon46

How about strips of tar paper?
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #19
psogden

Thanks again for the comments.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:44 PM   #20
psogden

Was able to find some very nice jute padding at my local auto upholstery store. Since I do not plan to drive the car in the rain, I feel OK using this. Thanks again for all the comments.