Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
54vicky

Default pointless ignition

pondering changing to a pointless ignition not msd but a hall effect trigger type.I want to keep system stock other than the trigger.anyone have actual experience with this.I want someone with actual experience not someone that read about it.thank you.
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
bfdinardo

Default Re: pointless ignition

Hello,
I've had good success with the Accel 2020 points eliminator kit on my 1956 Fairlane Victoria. It does have to go on the '57 and up distributor though which I needed anyway to go along with my upgraded Holley carb. I moved to this because of the lack of quality with condensors in the market.
bfdinardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #3
54vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdinardo View Post
Hello,
I've had good success with the Accel 2020 points eliminator kit on my 1956 Fairlane Victoria. It does have to go on the '57 and up distributor though which I needed anyway to go along with my upgraded Holley carb. I moved to this because of the lack of quality with condensors in the market.
I appreciate the input but I do not want or intend to make any changes other than inside under cap
Old 07-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
estout81
BANNED

54vicky,
Use your points to trigger an GM HEI unit. You can hide the unit anywhere you want and the points will last a long time. No cond. needed.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by estout81 View Post
54vicky,
Use your points to trigger an GM HEI unit. You can hide the unit anywhere you want and the points will last a long time. No cond. needed.
That sounds interesting. Aren't there four pins on a HEI unit? Do you have a wiring diagram, photo, or more details?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by estout81 View Post
54vicky,
He mentioned on another forum he wanted to stay with his 6 volt positive ground ignition, Pertronix does make a 6 volt unit however I know of several of those that have failed the 12 volt units are much more reliable. Also with Six volts sticking with points is very reliable with the exception of condenser failure which has been discussed here often and it always gets down to offshore made condensers the culprit,keep the original Ford condenser and only replace the points.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
54vicky

Jeff is right about the 6 volt pertronics I do not want to waste my money or time on a system that has dubious reports of reliability as he said the 12 volt has good reviews the 6 to many conflicting reports.what I am looking for is an optical trigger rather than electronic.as to the GM module I know what you mean but my point is I want to eliminate the points not supplement them.I am thinking ahead to when I am gone that my kids will not have to deal with the job as anyone who has changed the points they are not in the easiest spot to say nothing trying to set them properly.my quest may be mission impossible but I need to confirm.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #8
scicala

"I appreciate the input but I do not want or intend to make any changes other than inside under cap"

The Accel point eliminator kits fit under the stock distributor cap in the stock distributor.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
54vicky

thanks Sal I thought that they were part of an electronic kit and 12 volt.if I can get just the trigger and not the whole thing you may have given me the answer.now to find more on it any idea where to look speedway etc? from your exprerience
Old 07-23-2019, 09:43 PM   #10
scicala

Here is a link to one source for the Accel 2020 pointless kit. I have no experience with it. I just searched online. I didn't realize your car was still 6 volt, so probably won't work ?
It's also available at Summit, Jegs and EBAY. Possibly Amazon.

Sal

https://www.holley.com/products/igni...its/parts/2020
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #11
54vicky

I was concerned that you had not seen the 6v part.at least it stirred up interest as it may be a lost cause as no such animal may exist.but I do appreciate you taking your time.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
54vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
That sounds interesting. Aren't there four pins on a HEI unit? Do you have a wiring diagram, photo, or more details?
the first GM for chev had 3 the ones I had for buick in 84 (olds 307)had 4 pin I can not remember but I think the 4th was a ground where chev had gound through a different route in cap.a friend ran what you asked on a ford ignition in his race car.been a while but if you have one(module) laying around and a diagram it is a simple job.meant to post earlier sorry the coil wiring was different also regarding the ground

Last edited by 54vicky; 07-26-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #13
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54vicky View Post
Jeff is right about the 6 volt pertronics I do not want to waste my money or time on a system that has dubious reports of reliability as he said the 12 volt has good reviews the 6 to many conflicting reports.what I am looking for is an optical trigger rather than electronic.as to the GM module I know what you mean but my point is I want to eliminate the points not supplement them.I am thinking ahead to when I am gone that my kids will not have to deal with the job as anyone who has changed the points they are not in the easiest spot to say nothing trying to set them properly.my quest may be mission impossible but I need to confirm.
Check this video,if you scroll down you will find a guy that built one and successfully used it on 6 volts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AoSJIdhsME
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #14
54vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
Check this video,if you scroll down you will find a guy that built one and successfully used it on 6 volts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AoSJIdhsME
pretty neat what people can do
Old 07-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #15
Cool Hand Lurker

First let me say that I am not an electronics expert. An older friend of mine is however, and he once said that most all of the computers and electronics step down the voltage to 5V from whatever the source of power whether 6V, 12V or 120V and the electronic components are designed to work on the 5V power.
Maybe the guys on the forum who are electronics gurus could chime in here and clear up the fog that I just put into the thread?
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote