Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
azandy

Default Electrical problem

I have a 1950 Ford car V8 converted to 12 volt neg ground with a Pertronix distributor conversion and a one wire alternator.
The car does not shut off unless I disconnect the alternator. The three terminal ignition switch (I, B, Acc) is good and the alternator tests good.
Could the alternator still be at fault even though it passes the three test conditions at the parts store?
Thanks for any advice you may offer.
Andy
azandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Henry/Kokomo

Default Re: Electrical problem

Did the car ever work correctly with the current wiring set up? On my alternator equipped 46 Tudor, there is a wire which is activated by the ignition switch that provides excitation current to the alternator. There is a diode in that wire to prevent the alternator from back-feeding through the wire into the coil. If that diode were not there or if it were shorted out, the net result would be that the alternator would feed the coil, even with the switch off. That would keep the engine running with the ignition switch shut off. Perhaps you have that problem. FWIW
Old 05-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Doubt that the alt. has anything to do with it.
There is only one wire that goes from the ign. switch to the ballast/coil.
With the ign. switch turned off, see if the hot wire to the ballast/coil is live.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
1937pickup

Did you just convert to 12 volt and put an alternator on the car? If so it is the alternator. I bet you have a place for two wires coming out of the back of the alternator, in addition to the large red wire . Ron Frances wiring sells a connector and wire that will take care of your problem. Once you "excited" the alternator by starting the car you need a way to break the connection to your ignition. Having said that you would be better running it as a three wire. Go to MAD Electric to read about the advantages of three wire.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by azandy View Post
I have a 1950 Ford car V8 converted to 12 volt neg ground with a Pertronix distributor conversion and a one wire alternator.
The car does not shut off unless I disconnect the alternator. The three terminal ignition switch (I, B, Acc) is good and the alternator tests good.
Could the alternator still be at fault even though it passes the three test conditions at the parts store?
Thanks for any advice you may offer.
Andy

Henry's got it right.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
31chevy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry/Kokomo View Post
Did the car ever work correctly with the current wiring set up? On my alternator equipped 46 Tudor, there is a wire which is activated by the ignition switch that provides excitation current to the alternator. There is a diode in that wire to prevent the alternator from back-feeding through the wire into the coil. If that diode were not there or if it were shorted out, the net result would be that the alternator would feed the coil, even with the switch off. That would keep the engine running with the ignition switch shut off. Perhaps you have that problem. FWIW
Ditto, Henry has it right I have 2 cars with that setup.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
31chevy

You can buy a DA plug or you can get a diode at Radio Shack & make your own. google in da plug & it will explain it & give you options. Hope this helps.
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry/Kokomo View Post
There is a diode in that wire to prevent the alternator from back-feeding through the wire into the coil. If that diode were not there or if it were shorted out, the net result would be that the alternator would feed the coil, even with the switch off. That would keep the engine running with the ignition switch shut off. Perhaps you have that problem. FWIW
When I took automotive many moons ago, this was a troubleshooting example that one of the "one way" instructors had rigged up for us to diagnose. Learning about diodes was fun. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
34PKUP

If 'azandy' has as he says a one wire alternator, isn't all this talk about extra wires meaningless?
My one one wire alt. has just one wire which runs from the alt. thru the ammeter to the battery side of the solenoid.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
George/Maine

Do you disconnect when running the batt wire.
Your key switch could be bad,hot wire to coil from selinode,old wiring from 4 wire regulator.Pull the Pos coil wire see what happens,should stop.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
If 'azandy' has as he says a one wire alternator, isn't all this talk about extra wires meaningless?
My one one wire alt. has just one wire which runs from the alt. thru the ammeter to the battery side of the solenoid.
Probably not meaningless if he learns how to wire it correctly so the alternator doesn't power the coil when the switch is off.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote