Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #21
zzlegend

Default Re: Lion Speed Head

Very, Very well stated Charlie. And if it means anything at all, i have a friend who runs one of your heads and he is very happy with the performance and the looks. Thanks for posting.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #22
CHARLIE YAPP

Thanks ZZ.
I appreaciate the support and the overwhelming phone calls from so many of you . . Who knew? . . . But guys I just have to go mow the lawn before it rains again. Four-Titude, Charlie
CHARLIE YAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #23
Jim Huseby

Charlie- Thanks for posting the test data. I crave technical data and assume others do, too.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #24
Blessyouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Huseby View Post
Charlie- Thanks for posting the test data. I crave technical data and assume others do, too.
Where is the test data?
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #25
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessyouboys View Post
Where is the test data?

Test data by Dennis PIRANIO is in Charlie's post # 20:

http://www.modelaparts.net/dynosheets.htm/lionstk.htm

This URL will take you to the index for a number of tests:

http://www.modelaparts.net/dynosheet...ynosheets.html

Last edited by Benson; 05-06-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I never met Brent or have done business with him. Nor have I met Charlie or done business with him. I read Brents comments and saw that he had personal experence with one of Charlie's heads.

"I owned one and it detonated, ...was WAY to heavy, and IMHO (and that of some other speed gurus) has the spark plug placement in the wrong location."

Notice how he stated that it was his opinion when talking about plug placement.

He went on to say; "Naturally you should speak with other 'banger gurus' who have many years of experience with making horsepower with a banger engine to get their opinion and feedback!"

So he gave his opinion based on personal experence and even suggested that one should seek out additional opinions from those that seek making horse power.

Another person went on to tell about the modes he hade to make his engine run well with the specific head he had on the engine.

As for Mr. Yapp, he is upset about the negatve comments on his speed head. As anyone would be! When one does his best to do a job correctly and to hear negative comments is a slap in the face to all the hard work and integrity he put into his product. Now to state "Terry misused it as a propaganda Board." I don't get it? Propaganda is " information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc. " I'm going to assume Charlie was not refering to helping him but hurting him. To what end does Mr. Terry want to harm him? Does he manufacture and sell heads so bad press would help him? Would he gain anything if Mr. Yapps speed products were to dissapear from the market? No is the answer to both of those so the post about his personal experences are not propaganda at all.

The post also states "Allow me to correct Terry about aluminum heads:..." I don't remember seeing anything about aluminum heads!

So to sum up my understanding, Brent had a problem with his Lion head, he posted his opinion on that and the placement on the spark plugs, advised the original poster to seek other opinions and nothing personal was stated about Mr. Yapp.

Charlie is upset about what Brent has posted. He should have and did, stated facts about the placement of the spark plugs, horse power, the role the weight plays in the smooth running of the engine, he has personally attacked Brent.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #27
rmak

I just have one question about this discussion. Why did Brent use the term "Lyin' Head"? That sort of confused me. Was he implying that there were lies made about the quality of the product?
rmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmak View Post
I just have one question about this discussion. Why did Brent use the term "Lyin' Head"? That sort of confused me. Was he implying that there were lies made about the quality of the product?
I didn't notice that, I read the word but it didn't register!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #29
zzlegend

Quote:
And how about,,,,,,

"the better uses for one would be as a door stop or to anchor the boat out in the middle of the lake".

I myself feel that if you dont like someone else's product, then so be it. But don't bad mouth it unless you made an effort to try and make one yourself. Other people seem to like it and don't have a problem with it. And i think Charlie was just trying to clarify his side of it, which he has every right to do.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #30
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I didn't notice that, I read the word but it didn't register!
mike v,
may i suggest that if your going to jump into the middle of gunfight...son, dont just bring a knife and start cutting up!
"didnt register" ? reread the thread and get it all to register, then start again if you will.. !
question..have you owned and/or run one of the heads in question??

im not defending nor denigrating anyone here, but noticed that ONLY one person, who has commented in this thread, CREATES HEADS that fit model A/B engines! i think that that persons knowledge carries some weight!
now speaking of weight, ive noticed that YOU are the second person who have made disparaging remarks about the weight of this head. would you please explain, in your expertise, what drawbacks there are to this ,or any head being heavy...as im anxious to learn what damage,if any, i am doing to my B engine , by having such head on it!
mabe id better use my original cragar as a boat anchor too, as its even heavier than my lsh 111 !
BTW..is it any wonder why the 'other' head maker guy who used to post here...doesnt ? sure like to have him comment regarding head weight.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
now speaking of weight, ive noticed that YOU are the second person who have made disparaging remarks about the weight of this head.
Please show me where I made any disparaging remarks about the weight?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:31 AM   #32
MN Stumpjumper

To those who don't like the Lion head, how about some recomendations on which Hi-compression head YOU prefer.
MN Stumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #33
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Nice spin on your rebuttal Charlie. As always, your choice of words continues to create a grin on my face. If someone had actually advised you to sue me, I find it ironic I need to defend truths about what I and others have experienced. For that I won't issue you an apology. Also, I am not sure what you are correcting me about because all I said is that aluminum heads dissipate heat better. Again, go write your propaganda in your magazine in the method that best suits your financial interests. You offered your rebuttal to my stated experiences and if you think that I am full of B.S. and not an asset to "our community of Ford enthusiests" (for which you have made two posts now), it really doesn't matter to me.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #34
rmak

Hi Brent!
I'm relatively new here, so I don't know much of the history. I honestly did think your first post on the subject was written with some sarcasm and inuendo. Maybe that's the culture of the site, so that's really something I can't make a judgement about.

You did have a few substantive criticisms of the Lion Head that I would appreciate hearing a little more about so that I can gain some knowledge.

You said that your Lion Head detonated. Other posters said that they were able to overcome this issue. Was this problem something you tried to address? What did you try? If you didn't try to rectify it, that's cool. I would just appreciate your thoughts and experiences in that regard.

You felt the head was excessively heavy. What are the negative ramifications of a heavy head? Does it affect the steering? I'm new to the hobby, so I would appreciate knowing exactly what you experienced.

Likewise, what is wrong with where the spark plugs are located in the head? What bad things happen as a result?

I don't think I'm the only person who comes to this forum for help and factual information. Maybe someone can suggest to the owner of the site that he start a general B.S. sub forum where people can kid around and air greviences so as to keep the car specific forums fact based.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #35
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Hi Brent!
I'm relatively new here, so I don't know much of the history. I honestly did think your first post on the subject was written with some sarcasm and inuendo. Maybe that's the culture of the site, so that's really something I can't make a judgement about.

You did have a few substantive criticisms of the Lion Head that I would appreciate hearing a little more about so that I can gain some knowledge.

You said that your Lion Head detonated. Other posters said that they were able to overcome this issue. Was this problem something you tried to address? What did you try? If you didn't try to rectify it, that's cool. I would just appreciate your thoughts and experiences in that regard.

You felt the head was excessively heavy. What are the negative ramifications of a heavy head? Does it affect the steering? I'm new to the hobby, so I would appreciate knowing exactly what you experienced.

Likewise, what is wrong with where the spark plugs are located in the head? What bad things happen as a result?

I don't think I'm the only person who comes to this forum for help and factual information. Maybe someone can suggest to the owner of the site that he start a general B.S. sub forum where people can kid around and air greviences so as to keep the car specific forums fact based.
I am not willing to get into a contest here RMAK. Vic (whom I know personally and whom has been to my shop) asked a question and I stated my opinion of what I experienced with my head and that is all I am going to say about the subject.

To qualify my position, I have raced bangers, and have owned --and still have a decent sized collection of high-performance banger items. I said that, to say this. I have been around the block a time or two with personal experiences, and have had the priveledge to hang out and run with some of the gurus that have "walked the walk" who felt comfortable with my objectives to share their experiences. With regard to what I post here, those that know me know that I don't pull any punches. It is what it is! This may offend some folks but like I said, it is what it is. Please think about the price you paid for my stated experiences. If someone wants to do as I have and spend the money to purchase a high-performance item, and prove to themselves what works (and what doesn't), then I say go for it. You won't offend me!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 05-07-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Re-word sentence for clarity.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #36
rmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I am not willing to get into a contest here RMAK. .
Not what I was looking for. Sorry if you took it that way.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #37
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I never met Brent or have done business with him. Nor have I met Charlie or done business with him. I read Brents comments and saw that he had personal experence with one of Charlie's heads.

"I owned one and it detonated, ...was WAY to heavy, and IMHO (and that of some other speed gurus) has the spark plug placement in the wrong location."
Mike I agree that this is a place for people to discuss flat fords and they are opinions through and through.

If you believe everything that's written on the internet you would be a fool.

Can't we all get along. Thanks Brett and Charlie posting information about lion heads. To me the heads are experimental (speed heads) and can be discussed as so. Best of luck and good will to both of you.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-07-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #38
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Mike I agree that this is a place for people to discuss flat fords and they are opinions through and through.

If you believe everything that's written on the internet you would be a fool.

Can't we all get along. Thanks Brett and Charlie posting information about lion heads. To me the heads are experimental (speed heads) and can be discussed as so. Best of luck and good will to both of you.

But what do I know I run a stock head in my A.
I agree! Because of Mr. Yapps posting I now know how versatile his heads are. Extra beef to allow custom milling and shaping of the combustion chamber. Places to add additional spark plugs if you want of need, the heavy weight to aid in the eliminating hot spots. Cast Iron to eliminate electrolysis. This is the first head I read of that you can do so much to and it was from this thread.

I just don't like the personal attacts when someone posts their own personal experences. I want to hear the good as well as the bad things that people experence without the fear of being personally attacked for their opinion.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 05-07-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #39
Mikeinnj

To Charlie Yapp.

Don't let the sarcastic comments, cheap shots and inuendos, and the peanut gallery supporter from Flor-i-duh get you down.

Your contributions of experience, quality products and vision to this hobby have been legendary. Thank you. Keep up the great work. !
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #40
Blessyouboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
To Charlie Yapp.

Don't let the sarcastic comments, cheap shots and inuendos, and the peanut gallery supporter from Flor-i-duh get you down. ...
Pot, meet kettle.
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote