Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
waterboychuck

Default Info on sound deadening.

I'm in the process of installing sound deadening in my 46 coupe. I ordered 75 sq ft of Rattle Trap from fatmat.com. I later learned that by buying a roofing material from Lowe's or Home Depot that you can save money. I found out that is true. I purchased a roll of Peel & Seal from Lowe's and found it to be an exact match to the Rattle Trap with the only exception be that the Peel & Seal is 37% cheaper. The Rattle Trap is $2.09 per sq ft while the Peel & Seal is $1.32 sq foot. Look at the photo and decide for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCAO0009.JPG (68.9 KB, 522 views)
Old 11-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
4tford

Default Re: Info on sound deadening.

hope you were able to send it back.
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
waterboychuck

Most of it is installed on the car already. I just wanted everyone to know about this in order to save them the money.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
36coupe

A friend of mine that is a insulator got me some venture clad which is an industrial type product. Even though it didn't call for it he suggested a little spray of adhesive on the surface to be covered if applying overhead to help it stick over a long time. It does help as the hot sun will loosen it over time.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
Ken Crans

Just finished mine up this weekend with the home depot brand. Works great..no more echo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 118.jpg (77.3 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg 119.jpg (35.8 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg 117.jpg (85.3 KB, 299 views)
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboychuck View Post
I'm in the process of installing sound deadening in my 46 coupe. I ordered 75 sq ft of Rattle Trap from fatmat.com. I later learned that by buying a roofing material from Lowe's or Home Depot that you can save money. I found out that is true. I purchased a roll of Peel & Seal from Lowe's and found it to be an exact match to the Rattle Trap with the only exception be that the Peel & Seal is 37% cheaper. The Rattle Trap is $2.09 per sq ft while the Peel & Seal is $1.32 sq foot. Look at the photo and decide for yourself.
Any problem with it on the roof? Just wondering if it'll melt when the car sits in the heat.
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #7
dwick01

That looks really nice Ken Crans.

Thanks for the "heads-up" waterboychuck. Great information.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
okiedokie

I used a similar product [B-Quiet] in my 40 including the roof. Like you I wondered what heat would do so I let it set outside in 100 degree temps all day. No sign of any change to it. I did not want to do interior then find out. I will say that one downside to these products will be removing to make body repairs in case of an accident.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
alanwoodieman

I used the double sided foil with the bubbles on my 40 wagon (floor and firewall), also used it on my 41 truck, works good is light, easy to cut, sure makes it quiet and cool. I used 8090 spray on contact cement to hold it in place on roof of truck with 100% days it is yet to fall down. only problem was underfoot after 5 years it is starting to come apart on the wagon, I will replace with the same over the winter
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
waterboychuck

I don't think that there would be any problem with heat with the Home Depot/Lowe's material as you buy it in the roofing section. It's used to put down on the edge of the roof over the drip edge and then the singles go over that. No real experience actually do that but learned from watching home improvement TV programs like This Old House.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
Vic Piano

I've been trying to find an insulating product (and glue) that will stick to the roof, inside our '53 F-100 Panel Truck. I've used the peel and stick, as well as spray on adhesive, to no avail. Here in central Florida is gets WARM and the glue separates from te metal, causing the insulation to fall away. Any of you know of a product that will work in warm climates?
Old 11-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
gundoca

Anyone tried spray foam on the roof??? Just curious.
gundoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
waterboychuck

Vic, is the roof of the panel clean and free of dirt etc? The 46 coupe that I'm working on has been sanded and cleaned, and a coat of epoxy primer applied before I installed the sound deadening material. It sticks very well. I know that you are in a warm climate but for those that are not, like me, I have a heated shop and at this time of year I take a propane torch and hit the area that I'm working on (the car body), and then take a hair dryer and hit the actual material which sticks. I hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #14
white64

Gee... I kindah like the noise the flathead in my coupe makes.. and the various rattles and sqeaks...
white64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #15
47 flatbed

I've used various types of sound deadening material since the early 90's when I installed car audio. Those stupid loud cars that rattled homes as they drove by. That's what I did in high school. I worked at a professional shop. I liked to spray lizard skin on especially on roofs then we would layer the flexible roofing material on top of the lizard skin. My car had zero rattles. I like loud stereos not the rattle from the bass. Funny I have no tunes in my 47 and my newer 150 stereo is stock
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #16
malpais

Wondering how thick is peel and seal? HD folks here never heard of it - found something similar, but it only has 1/8 " foam, and I don't know if it will take much temperature.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #17
waterboychuck

The last time I was at Home Depot I checked out their material which is different then the Lowes. I cannot tell you how thick the material is but I did try and with the tar type material that;s involved it is hard to measure. The Lowe's material is intended to go on home roofs so it should take a lot of temperature. One thing that I can say for certain is the material works and the noise is down. malpais if you're using that in the truck in your avatar it won't take a lot to complete the job, but of course, that is up to you what you buy.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #18
Bruno

I've had good luck using Armaflex insulation - available in 3' x 4' sheets from any HVAC supply house. Easy to cut and the 3/4" thick type does a good job of deadening sound - used it above headliner, under floor mats and behind kickpanels and door panels on my 1952 F1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0001.jpg (87.0 KB, 18 views)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #19
fatkoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
I've been trying to find an insulating product (and glue) that will stick to the roof, inside our '53 F-100 Panel Truck. I've used the peel and stick, as well as spray on adhesive, to no avail. Here in central Florida is gets WARM and the glue separates from te metal, causing the insulation to fall away. Any of you know of a product that will work in warm climates?
I know this might sound odd, but I used "liquid nails" to glue the foil backed bubble-wrap to the inside of the roof on my '40. I put 2 layers in the roof, doors, and quarter panels. Sealed all the edges with HVAC foil tape. Put 2 layers of Peel-N-Seal (Lowes) on the floor clear back through the trunk. Car is quiet, solid sounding, and cool in the 100+ days of summer without AC. Even the radio sounds better now.
fatkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:38 AM   #20
Dave D

Quote:
I've tried a bunch of the "cost savings" products and always go back to DynaMat. More money? Perhaps, but I've never had to re-do a job with their products, a claim I can't make with the other brands.
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote