Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #21
solidaxle

Default Re: Aluminum Flywheel

Since we are on the subject of aluminum flywheels. Are there two different Albro models. One for early flat heads and one for 8ba's?
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:29 PM   #22
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
Thanks Ronnie! I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but this would be for a Ram aluminum flywheel. I have a pilot bearing from Speedway and it's a loose fit. I would think the hole size is the same, but I could be wrong.

Joe the pilot bearing hole in the aluminum flywheel should be the same as the stock Ford Flathead. The 203 bearing fits all of the aluminum flywheels as well as the stock Ford flywheel perfectly. At least the many I have had my hands on. Its possible the speedway item is not correct which would not be a surprise to me. I can measure the T-5 input shaft pilot size and let you know for sure if the ID of the 203 bearing will work memory tells me it will but I can check for sure since I have everything available in my shop.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #23
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Will these work? I recall that in 1970 when I installed a WEBER aluminum flywheel in my 8BA I used the stock flywheel bolts.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1928-53...EAAOSwdnZaGgXJ
Oh those look good! I'll ask him what length they are and we should be good to go! Thanks 19!
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:32 PM   #24
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxle View Post
Since we are on the subject of aluminum flywheels. Are there two different Albro models. One for early flat heads and one for 8ba's?
I don't know for sure, but I'd have to say yes. Ram makes early and late.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #25
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Joe the pilot bearing hole in the aluminum flywheel should be the same as the stock Ford Flathead. The 203 bearing fits all of the aluminum flywheels as well as the stock Ford flywheel perfectly. At least the many I have had my hands on. Its possible the speedway item is not correct which would not be a surprise to me. I can measure the T-5 input shaft pilot size and let you know for sure if the ID of the 203 bearing will work memory tells me it will but I can check for sure since I have everything available in my shop.
Ronnieroadster
Ronnie, I checked to OD on the Speedway bearing and it's good at 1.575 which is what it's advertised at. The ID is also fine at .590 for the T5 input shaft.
I'm concerned the hole in the flywheel is to large, but I haven't got an exact measurement on it yet. I sure hope not, I have some money invested in it with redrilling and balancing! I sent an email to Ram, but haven't heard from them. I wonder if anyone makes one oversized?
Thanks, Joe
Old 02-06-2020, 06:37 PM   #26
jrvariel48

I just measured the flywheel and I'm coming up with 1.574.
Then I remeasured the pilot bearing and it's 1.572.
Seems like that may be the problem. I don't know if I can get a bearing with a better measurement. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 02-06-2020, 09:48 PM   #27
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
I just measured the flywheel and I'm coming up with 1.574.
Then I remeasured the pilot bearing and it's 1.572.
Seems like that may be the problem. I don't know if I can get a bearing with a better measurement. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Joe i will check using your dimensions comparing to the 203 size. If its determined the flywheel hole is the problem and considering what you already have invested in it at this point the only thing you can do is have it bored out oversize so an aluminum sleeve can be installed that has the correct ID for the pilot bearing.
Ronieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Old 02-07-2020, 04:01 AM   #28
jrvariel48

Quote:
Joe i will check using your dimensions comparing to the 203 size. If its determined the flywheel hole is the problem and considering what you already have invested in it at this point the only thing you can do is have it bored out oversize so an aluminum sleeve can be installed that has the correct ID for the pilot bearing.
Ronieroadster
Thanks Ronnie
Old 02-07-2020, 05:40 AM   #29
Mart

The stock Ford bearing is metric. It is 40mm. 40mm = 1.5748".

You need to try another bearing.

If this is an adaption all bets are off.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:21 PM   #30
Ronnieroadster

Joe measured a few items today first the Ford bronze bushing measures 1.573 the one I measured was used. Also have the Speedway pilot bearing in stock for a build Im doing for someone the bearing is for the T-5 transmission Speedway part number 916-29520 should be the same as the bearing you have from them the OD on the bearing is 1.574. I also measured a used aluminum flywheel the bore diameter for the bearing measured 1.572. Seeing all of this i would agree theres a problem with the bearing hole in your aluminum flywheel. If I was doing this and ran into the problem you have i would bore out the flywheel hole a bit then machine an aluminum bushing to fit as needed I would include a flange on this bushing thats located on the clutch side of the flywheel. To be certain the bushing remains in the flywheel i would simply add a few small Tig welds to the bushing to be sure it stays in place. The material added is so close to the crank center-line you will never notice any balance issues ever in your application.
Ronnieroadster
Old 02-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #31
jrvariel48

Quote:
Joe measured a few items today first the Ford bronze bushing measures 1.573 the one I measured was used. Also have the Speedway pilot bearing in stock for a build Im doing for someone the bearing is for the T-5 transmission Speedway part number 916-29520 should be the same as the bearing you have from them the OD on the bearing is 1.574. I also measured a used aluminum flywheel the bore diameter for the bearing measured 1.572. Seeing all of this i would agree theres a problem with the bearing hole in your aluminum flywheel. If I was doing this and ran into the problem you have i would bore out the flywheel hole a bit then machine an aluminum bushing to fit as needed I would include a flange on this bushing thats located on the clutch side of the flywheel. To be certain the bushing remains in the flywheel i would simply add a few small Tig welds to the bushing to be sure it stays in place. The material added is so close to the crank center-line you will never notice any balance issues ever in your application.
Ronnieroadster
Ronnie, thank you for taking the time to check everything for me, I appreciate it very much. It looks like I'm off to the machinist!!
Thanks again,
Joe
Old 02-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #32
Brian

The original size bearing [6203 2RS] is 40mm od 17mm id 12mm deep
If you need to pay a machinist to bore and sleeve your flywheel back to size, you might find this is a cheaper option; get the machinist to bore flywheel to 42mm. Fit a 6203A/42-2RS bearing which is 42mm od.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:42 PM   #33
Tinker

What's the advantage of a aluminum flywheel outside of circle track or drag racing?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:23 PM   #34
FritzJr

Tinker asked "What's the advantage of a aluminum flywheel outside of circle track or drag racing? "

Bragging rights
FritzJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:42 PM   #35
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzJr View Post
Tinker asked "What's the advantage of a aluminum flywheel outside of circle track or drag racing? "

Bragging rights
That's one. I can think of several more.

1-Saftey.
2- Makes shifting much easier.
3- Ruduces torsional vibration in the crank when used with the proper front
damper.
4- Reduces overall weight of the car thus enhancing performance and gas
mileage.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:51 PM   #36
Tinker

Pete I know you know your stuff.

To me the weight of the flywheel has some play in overall performance. The lighter it is the quicker it spins up. Good for race. It also does not maintain momentum. A heavier flywheel is good for street use or driving.

Not sure a aluminum flywheel is safer for street use. Maybe drag, without a shield?

All is valid for a race car not a street car.

A heavier flywheel is good for a street or tour car. It creates momentum.

Or I'm wrong. I'm okay with being wrong.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:13 AM   #37
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The original size bearing [6203 2RS] is 40mm od 17mm id 12mm deep
If you need to pay a machinist to bore and sleeve your flywheel back to size, you might find this is a cheaper option; get the machinist to bore flywheel to 42mm. Fit a 6203A/42-2RS bearing which is 42mm od.
Brian I thought of doing just that but that bearing has the wrong size ID for my application. I have a T5 trans that uses a 15MM ID bearing
Thanks,
Joe
Old 02-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #38
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You could always go with a bushing. A lot of people prefer the bushing anyway.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #39
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Pete I know you know your stuff.

To me the weight of the flywheel has some play in overall performance. The lighter it is the quicker it spins up. Good for race. It also does not maintain momentum. A heavier flywheel is good for street use or driving.

Not sure a aluminum flywheel is safer for street use. Maybe drag, without a shield?

All is valid for a race car not a street car.

A heavier flywheel is good for a street or tour car. It creates momentum.

Or I'm wrong. I'm okay with being wrong.
It will depend on the vehicle and what you are wanting to do with it. If it is stock or mildly hopped up and heavy that is one thing. If it is light with a highly modified engine that is another. Some like to just drive them around and some like to hot rod them around. Why would you build a highly modified engine and slap a heavy stock flywheel on it?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:46 AM   #40
Pete

I would like to have one of those flywheels that create momentum.
We are talking perpetual motion now.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote