Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #21
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Intake manifold getting hot

I didn't say that where the rotor tip points controls when the points open !!! I said that where the rotor tip points is where the spark goes . Adjustment of the distributor cam controls where the rotor tip points . The spark happens when the points open . Of course the lobes of the distributor cam controls when the points open . Where the rotor tip points is the most important thing about ignition timing . When the points begin to open is when the spark occurs . These two things control how accurate the initial , ignition timing will end up . If the rotor tip isn't pretty close to the proper position the engine won't run . It is often a waste of time trying to explain a procedure to a person that is more interested in argument than anything else . .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #22
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I didn't say that where the rotor tip points controls when the points open !!! I said that where the rotor tip points is where the spark goes . Adjustment of the distributor cam controls where the rotor tip points . The spark happens when the points open . Of course the lobes of the distributor cam controls when the points open . Where the rotor tip points is the most important thing about ignition timing . When the points begin to open is when the spark occurs . These two things control how accurate the initial , ignition timing will end up . If the rotor tip isn't pretty close to the proper position the engine won't run . It is often a waste of time trying to explain a procedure to a person that is more interested in argument than anything else . .
Not interested in argument. Just trying to clarify the fact that rotor tip position on the points cam is fixed by the slot the rotor fits into. So when the cam lobe is positioned properly the rotor tip will be pointing at one of the 4 posts in the distributor cap, nowhere in between. Obviously the person doing a tune up will set the cam so that the rotor tip is close to #1 terminal in the cap, then will proceed to set the cam lobe so the points are just opening, thereby obtaining correct timing. "If the rotor tip isn't pretty close to the proper position the engine won't run" as you say. This is because the cam lobe is not in position to open the points to cause the spark at the right time. True, you can get initial timing 'in the ballpark' by eyeballing rotor tip position, but setting timing by when the points open will be far more accurate.
I guess this the point I am trying to make: By following Ford's procedure the initial timing will be correct and the rotor tip position will take care of itself.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #23
burner31

Here's the update, points were at 19...that don't matter.
Timing dead on.
Steering column shifted...bingo
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #24
alexiskai

When you say steering column shifted, do you mean the spark advance lever was set incorrectly?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #25
katy

Burner31, When you rebuilt your distributor, did you put in a new points cam? If so check the finish of the cam. I rebuilt a distributor a couple of years ago w/a new points cam. I didn't inspect the cam, I just expected it to be good, and it wasn't. It didn't take long for it to wear down the rubbing block on the points causing running problems. I found the finish on the new points cam was quite rough and ended up smoothing it out w/crocus cloth to a glass like surface. I also had to replace the point arm as the rubbing block was worn down past usable.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #26
burner31

Yes new everything including cam.
And yes the the column shifted causing the advance arm to not advance the spark enough, so got that realigned and reset the points, seems to run better, was hoping to drive it today but now it's raining...again.
I cleaned/lubed the cam when I did all this but did not inspect it per say, don't feel like going out into the cold garage today so will wait for a dry day and drive it, see how it is and check the cam next time I break into the distributor again.

Thank you all for your comments and advice...you are all more like Family then Family
(Only my wife has support and interest in my Model A)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #27
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Put some Vaseline on the points cam to retard point block wear.
Be extremely frugal with any type of grease you put on the cam. A little too much will get thrown off and can soil the points.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote