Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #241
Vic Piano

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

Lookin good Bruce. What did you use for the fender welt?
Old 12-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #242
Don

I had some fender welt left over from a model A job and used contact glue to fasten it on,worked pretty good for a quick fix.Don P
Old 12-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #243
Bruce in southern OH

This is what the original 39 LZ welting looks like, held on skirt with brass rivets :

Don came up with using Model A fender welting, he used spray adhesive, he laid out he welting around skirt ( held in place with cloths pin clamps) and cut out the fender skirt alignment pins and attachment latch. Sprayed both the fender skirt and welting, let it tack up and then installed on the skirt. He trimmed the excess width towards tire off with an exacto razor knife. It is a real learning experience to be with him, so much knowledge to get job done. Oh yeah, it looks GOOD!
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #244
Vic Piano

That's excellent. My car had no welting left on the skirts when I got it so, I've been wondering what to use after everything gets painted. Thanks. Vic
Old 12-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #245
Bruce in southern OH

Vic, send bring them up and Don and I will install welting, eat pizza for lunch and then you can go back home, sounds like a plan.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #246
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Bruce, that's a good plan, just get rid of the snow first...
Old 12-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #247
waterboychuck

Bruce, did you buy you voltage reducer yet? If not you might want to go to a pull a part wrecking yard and buy one for only $1.00. Ford had 6 volt gauges in their cars until the mid 80's thus they each have a reducer. I bought one last year for $1.00 from a pull a part.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #248
Bruce in southern OH

No, waterboychuck, wish I had, would like to have a working gas gauge tomorrow. Will go fill car up just to make sure I have enough gas in tank. I do not know of any yards around that still have cars that old in yard. ( everyone around here just has plastic cars!) I will check one place called "Ducky's" in Huntington. Thanks for info, will call as soon as they open in the morning, Bruce
Old 12-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #249
Bruce in southern OH

Off to the Christmas Parade in Huntington, WV., worked on car all week to finish wiring and 12 volt heater blower. Put in several blankets and a couple of pillows for the Parade Marshal. Mike and Henriella Perry, the family has Heritage Farm and Museum in Wayne County WV. If you look up the web site for the Farm you will be amazed at what they have done, such a great contribution to the Huntington and tri-state area. Mike has experienced some very difficult health issues now for 2 years, he continues to work daily as he health permits, please continue to pray for him and family.
39 Lincoln Zephyr

Old 12-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #250
Bruce in southern OH

Made it through parade, first thing that I found not working was the Alternator, will take alternator to repair shop Monday. I have always had 12 volts at the garage and I thought that it did not charge to 14 Volts because of no load and low idle, and it always started car. ( got home after about a 15 minute drive with lights on, down to 11 volts ) Second Big item is to remove the Two water pumps and ship to SKIP. The car cools itself moving through the air at speed, ( (130) but the car overheated on temp gauge in parade conditions. The temp will just keep climbing if at idle or slow speed. ( stopped car at end of parade and let it cool, filled back up with anti-freeze, fluid loss was 1/2 gallon ) I think that the pumps are corroded after setting so many years, will remove Monday. Merry Christmas to All!!!

Old 12-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #251
BILL WZOREK

Bruce
I do not know what type Alternator you have.
On my one wire Delco My guy suggested & I had him install a exciter ( I think that is what it's called ) that starts charging at a idle.
It works great !!

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you also.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #252
Bruce in southern OH

Bill, I will take alternator to Mr. Nance the repairman and see what he says about the speed, do a test, also ask about an exciter. ( single wire alternator ) Next I drained the 6 gallon of anti-freeze from 39LZ and removed both upper hoses and lower hoses. Need to see if the 39 upper Ford hoses are the same as the 39 Lincoln, will replace them now. I removed the two water pumps and will take to the Post office and ship to Skip. One pump is rough feeling bearing as you turn and other one spins fine, both leak water now around shaft.
Water pumps

Upper water hoses, 11 1/2 to 12" long with small bend.

Last edited by Bruce in southern OH; 12-14-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Add wording
Old 12-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #253
Bruce in southern OH

Had three things to do car related today, #1 take alternator to repair shop, #2 take water pumps to post office and ship #3 remove the radiator out of Lincoln and take to radiator shop. Got all three items done early. Will report on the items as I pick them up. Radiator will be done tomorrow, pressure wash and flush, radiator man said we could do 1. pressure wash and flush or 2. hot tank clean, either procedure could possibly ruin or damage the OLD radiator. I elected to pressure wash and flush first. He is the radiator shop that cleaned and lined my gas tank and he said he would take extra care not to damage. ( 45 bucks ) Next I will pickup alternator, alternator man said he would check to see if the regulator was correct and if not install a regulator that would trigger on at 900 RPM.
Radiator front

Radiator Rear

Radiator rear

Water pump impeller as removed, want to see the new HIGH volume impeller difference???? Also, wonder it new bearings require motor oil to be provided to lubricate??
Old 12-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #254
supereal

Love those old Lincoln sedans, Bruce. We used to pull or stock car from track to track with one just like it. It was heavy enough so " the tail didn't wag the dog" when we went down the road with the trailer. A dash mounted vacuum gauge helped keep fuel consumption within reason.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #255
Bruce in southern OH

Supereal, you don't have any photos of the set up do you?? I have an old vacuum gauge that says on dial " economy green to red zone" will have to find it and see the exact wording again. I would like to find the V 12 dual intake that was on ebay for a while. I think it said " Edmonds " , bidding was always around 850.00 and never met reserve. Those are good stories, had a friend that ran a dirt track car at Clay City Ky. and pulled race car with a Pontiac, one guy sat in open trunk and pressed the surge brake with his foot on trailer so on long down hills the trailer brakes would work. Always said they had fun!!!!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #256
Bruce in southern OH

BILL WZOREK, got my alternator back this morning, repair man said the regulator was bad, probably because of armature high amperage. (free alternator, some times free comes with hidden cost ) He changed both parts and said it will now charge at an idle. I told him it might be weeks before I have car were I can test it out. (wait on water pumps)
Called the Radiator shop this morning and owner told me radiator did fine with pressure wash and flush, so he felt fine hot tanking the radiator, reason he wanted to do more was he said he got a small hand full of small nuts/nut shells from radiator!!!!!!!!!!! Called at 4:30PM and he told me to pickup in morning after it dried. You never know about those old cars or how long nuts have been in radiator tank??
Started cleaning up garage today after a summer of working on the 39LZ, these are the tools that I have found in car this summer, three tire tools(two long tire tools do have different ends ), one small tire tool, two pumps, part of the jack (wonder how it worked), small grease gun.
LZ tools found in car
Old 12-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #257
RalphG

That bumper jack is much the same as the one in my 39 Ford. I think they worked ok although I would not advise crawling under a vehicle supported only by that jack. :-)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #258
Terry,OH

I always thought the jack with the round hole for the handle was from a GM product (Chevy). The one tire pump does not have the typical Ford wood handle with a bow tie profile, but look carefully at the base it may have a script?? The pump on the right looks good for ford (repair parts are available) The jack handle / tire iron may be correct and the grease gun with a wood handle also looks different than Ford but you have a LZ. You may want to contact Lin Stacey and see if he has info on the LZ or the tools you need to complete the set.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #259
Bruce in southern OH

Got the 39 radiator back today, need a new drain valve for radiator, leaks and has very little resistance, I was always afraid it might vibrate open. Next thing I need to do is push car outside and flush the block out while I have the water pumps removed, would like to have ideas on what process you have used to clean/flush out. I was thinking of making a adapter for the head water outlet and connect water hose. Then blank of the water pump opening and fill up, do a quick release of water with water turned on? Might see if I can make a water wand out of small copper tube (1/4") and flush out area in water pump opening.
Radiator returned

Dated information
Old 12-17-2014, 06:02 PM   #260
KiWinUS

Bruce a suggestion I have would be to make some block offs where the water pumps fit & then fill both sides with white vinegar for a week . Then "Steam Clean" it out , not just a cold water pressure washer .
I love this car !!!
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is online now   Reply With Quote