Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #41
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Paint A Car With Rustoleum?

Dupli color has a paint for about 25.00 a sprayable Qt.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/psFinishSystem/
Old 11-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #42
Tony G

I have seen Rustoleum 2X used on a set of fenders with fantastic results.I would have sworn that it was professionally done at a body shop. The 2 X product has more color pigment than the regular can.The color was black although they have many colors of 2X.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #43
Fred K-OR

I used Ford tractor enamel on my hukster. It is around $30-40 a quart. Used a spray guy on a very small comressor. But I did do much prep work before starting to paint-a lot of sandblast, sanding off old paint and rust, etc. But it is also a 10 foot paint job but that works for me. I take it to a number of local car shows and in the last two years have won 7 or 8 awards for it. Last award was this last summer at the Forest Grove Concours dElegance where it took 2nd place in class. I enjoy the huckster and do get a lot of comments about how good it looks. So I think it is in what you want as a final product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9555a.jpg (80.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 11-03-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #44
Jazzjr

All the Black on mine is Rustoleum, Black Gloss bought @ Wal-Mart for $8.95 a Quart, with 100% Mineral Spirits used as Thinner, $10 a Gallon. And the Paint Gun below for $15 from Harbor Freight was used to spray both Colors. I know that the Shine may only Last for a couple of Years. But I don't get Nervous when People Touch the Paint or Feel the Car. This Car was intended to be Used, not a Show Piece. It only takes about an Hour to Remove a Fender to Repaint it. I Keep it Waxed and Clean as Possible and enjoy Driving it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_21036.jpg (15.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Jazzjr; 11-04-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #45
yachtsmanbill

We ue a lot of this on the boats. A quart will paint a Model A with a foam roller and tipped with a brush. Watch the videos! ws

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...t+Polyurethane
Old 11-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #46
Fred K-OR

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Jazzjr, what do you use on your wood to keep it protected from moisture?
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #47
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Well I have been painting cars for the last 45 years and I would not do it. I use nothing but DuPont top of the line and yes it's expensive. But in saying that about all of the major paint manf have a second line of paint that is a lot cheaper. For new cars etc you won't get a good match of OEM paint but for an all over I guess it's OK. I used a some of DuPonts Nason brand on some components of a street rod a friend was building. It was OK but I really didn't like it as well as their top of the line paint and would not use it on anything I wanted to keep for a long time. I do not know how the parts help up as he sold the car before finishing it. By the way it was an all reproduction 32 Ford roadster and no original parts were used. I also did a 37 Terraplane for him, finished it back in 1996 and it still looks as good today as it did when finished and is driven everywhere it goes. You money & your car do as you please.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #48
Jazzjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Jazzjr, what do you use on your wood to keep it protected from moisture?
Mothers Paste wax is what I'm using on both the Paint and the Oak. But it has not seen any Rain as of yet. Also has been kept in Dry Garage since i started the Project in 2009.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #49
[email protected]

http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint-1year.html

Found this great site on using Rustoleum for an inexpensive paint job...

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79.htm

Last edited by [email protected]; 12-02-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added home page of this website
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #50
kenparker

The "Miss E" was repainted with Tractor Supply's farm tractor paint. I think it was a Rustoleum lable. The downside it tends to fade faster (lots faster) than Automotive paint. You have to keep it waxed to keep any shine. The TSC paint was painted ove Acrylic Enamal and after 1 1/2 years no problems yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rebuild 8.jpg (58.3 KB, 34 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #51
bgarrett

This Ford was sprayed with Rustoleum several years ago and gets compliments from the public every time I go somewhere. Total cost for yellow and white was about $65 and I can repaint in other colors anytime
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellow truck.jpg (70.1 KB, 44 views)
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #52
SLPreston53

Lowes sells a Rustoleum paint for boats that has UV protection, which is what I painted my truck with. This paint answers all the worries about chalking and the like. As far as paint peeling, I sanded my truck back to bare metal and used the appropriate Rustoleum primer which gave the paint the base it needed. Mine is a very low dollar project, and for less than $200 (an a lot of time sanding) I was able to have a serviceable, nice looking paint job. I painted it in my driveway and garage with decent results. Not going to win any awards, but then I am not afraid of a kid scratching it, either. To me that is more fun...
SLPreston53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #53
V4F

ive been using rattle can rustoleum for years . good results ! first suggestion is to learn how to use a spray can . takes me like 3 coats to get it finished . 2 tack coats & 1 finish coat . dont be in a hurry .......
Old 06-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #54
mshmodela

I would guess any paint today is better than what all model A's had orginally. I think it's more the prep and talent of the painter more than the paint.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #55
ModelAMike1930

FYI Rustoleum has an auto paint division. I have not used it but im sure it would be a good paint..
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #56
Tinker

I used PPG's Shop Line paint to do my wife's 57. 1 gallon epoxy primer/sealer plus hardener, 1 gallon Single stage Color with hardener and reducer. Total was around $280-300. Decent paint for the money.

Used a HF HLVP $20 dollar gun for the epoxy (a guy standing in line behind me gave me a coupon to make it $5 a gun, I bought 2) and a little nicer eastwood gun for the single stage (it work okay, but I think the HF would have worked just as well. Granted I am not a professional painter).

You do need a decent compressor to keep up with spraying something large.

I've used spray cans before, but if it's as big as a fender I would shoot it with a gun. I use rustoleum in a qt can for chassis stuff and floors. Works very well.

I thought for a hobby painter it turned out decent. Sorry it's not a model A.

Sealer

Single stage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 paint.jpg (51.1 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 06-26-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #57
gweilbaker

This thread brought back a rush of memory of my high school days, my rides were always a plethora of primer calico color, my how times have changed. Kids wouldn't be caught dead in some of the stuff I use to run.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #58
leo

Regarding Rustoleum rattle can painting. The paint takes a long time to dry and harden completely. Anyone been able to speed this up, like in an oven or by using heat lighting?
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #59
Tinker

Here in florida I just put it out in the sun for a day, then put it inside for a few days (less humidity).
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #60
holdover

Good advice
"My guess is that you would be better off going to one of the high volume low cost paint shops, Earl Schieb, Macco, One Day, to name a few."

With that being said please do yourself a favor and leave the roller for doing house paint. I have been a restorer for over 40 years, sure to do a perfect job you will most likely need the right equipment, such as a quality gun for both primer and paint, the right body work tools, a good compressor with water removal system/filters, a dedicated paint booth, various grades of sand paper from 220 to 2000 and a good grade of automotive paint, but with a lot of work and research you can do a good paint job with not too much money, will you win at a show for the quality of the paint job, maybe not, but will it look good, yes, if you put effort into learning and doing it. Even professional shops have to work at it and sometimes do it over. The preparation is the most important part as well as where you are spraying, the temp/ humidity and how you work the gun. Basecoat/ clearcoat will give you some room to correct errors, but single phase paint is doable also. Check out all that is available on youtube, or find someone who paints vehicles for a living and ask if they will paint yours on the side, locally there is a guy who paints Volvo/White trucks who does side work, I am sure it is that way all over. As to the cost of paint, yes it can be expensive. I found a guy who runs a paint business up in NY that blows the local suppliers away on prices for PPG. here is a link to one of his adds on ebay. I have been buying paint from Bill for over 5 years, he will also quote you a price on a custom mix. I have never asked him about a Model A color, but I am sure if you had the PPG paint code he could mix it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PPG-Omni-AU-..._Tools&vxp=mtr

hope this helps, your mileage may vary
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote