Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #41
Tinker

Default Re: Poll: Anybody "Restoring A Car"

Working on fixing the ones I have. I enjoy driving them. Major things when needed, engine overhauls, brakes, and rust repair.
A real show car would be nice but I don't think I would drive it as much as I do with the cars I have that are not perfect. Don't get me wrong I'd love to own that original beauty. A car that didn't need to be restored! I guy can dream right?

Last edited by Tinker; 10-31-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #42
ajohn

The term "runstoration" has merit! I like that for sure.None of my cars are concourse.I drive em'.
ajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #43
danliveshere

Have owned my roadster for 25 years. Was painted early 70s. Over the Xmas break I'll pull the motor, st box, brakes and overhaul the front suspension to make it safe on the road again. I haven't driven it for quite a few years. I'm currently restoring a 35 phaeton so I'm looking forward to getting behind the wheel while I'm restoring the phaeton. The phaeton is a long long project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35 roadster 001.jpg (74.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by danliveshere; 11-01-2011 at 06:51 AM.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #44
Fartman

I bought a 33 5 window coupe from the states as a rolling shell only,had no floor or sub rails,needed patch panels every where,im just trying to get it to driving stage so that i can enjoy it,parts are costing me alot as most of them are bought in the states and shipped to australia,(shipping prices are killing me).it will never be a concours car but at least i saved this one from the crusher.
Fartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #45
TomT/Williamsburg

As you all know, "restoration" has many different meanings in today's world, especially when a car is advertised for sale. To me, restoration means back to stock OR back to a state or condition that a car was famous for like an old Bonneville car, well known custom, etc.

To most (those not in the hobby for the love of old cars but to make money), restoring a car means getting it back to a running, driving condition and that has a WIDE range of possibilities.

I am presently resurrecting a 40 p-up, not restoring it, as it will be an early 60s styled push/shop truck, perhaps a mild custom. Drivetrain will be a 4.3 V6/5-speed but it's not a vehicle that you would pop the hood up on at cruise nights. The V6 will have some speed goodies and sound good but you would still recognize it as a V6 upon hearing it. It will be used as a "daily driver", another term that has a wide range of meanings .... my interpretation of "daily driver" is one that's driven every day for as many days as weather will allow (all except snow or heavy rain). Since I only work 5 miles from home, this will be driven to and from work.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #46
David J

The 33 5w was last winters basement project . Probably more of a ressurection than a restoration . Put over 6,000 miles on it this season { would have been more but for a little down time from vinegar poisioning } . Folks sure like to look at this dusty tattered old coupe & that alone convinced me to leave it as it is . The last pic is this winters basement project . Yes that's the 34 ruster from Hotlanta . I'm an unwavering fan of the downtrodden - underdog & the way this poor thing was kicked around on the for sale side here got me feeling sorry for it . Never seen a car that bad in places and yet good in others . The clutch , brakes & speedo still worked . Odometer shows 62,000 miles . Thanks to Brads woodshop , Donnie Smart , Flathead Ted , Ed Solari & others it is looking a whole lot betta . Car is june 34 prod - # 18-9769xx & I just happened to have a really nice june 34 chassis # 18-9739xx with a minty floor . For what it cost me + considerable time in the basement I should be driving it next spring for under $15,000 . The brushed on rustoleum is hiding the gennie black - red stripe paint . Yes I am going to color sand it off to let the gennie stuff show after hiding for god knows how long . This won't work well on the rumble lid . Anyone gotz one you'd sell ? 34's are supposed to be black - tacoma cream but this is the third black - red 34 I've had ? All 5 wheels { none useable } were there & all are red . Helps that I had 4 minty fenders for it . Do need a better grille for it though . Genius me always hoarded 33 grilles & not 34's as they are easy to find ? Used to be anyway . Old habits die hard . Now if I can just stay a couple steps ahead of da boyz in the white suits !! David J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (64.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2170.jpg (82.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8728.jpg (60.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2891.jpg (95.3 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by David J; 11-02-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: bad spelin
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #47
barnfind08

David: You Da Man
barnfind08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #48
David J

Hey Fred , Dunno bout da man thing but I do miss digging for parts in a basement on James ave .
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfind08 View Post
David: You Da Man
Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #49
cmbrucew

Bob A
How about some pictures.
I too like the 41 coupe.
You should list your area in your avatar.
Welcome to the barn.
Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #50
B-O-B

WOW!!!! David J gets my vote also. Go David Go. Da man or mighty mouse you definately have the courage to undertake a challenge to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Can't wait to see it finished.
As for me stick me with a fork I think I'm done. Well maybe just one more. heh heh he
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #51

Hats off to you David J! I was wondering what would happen to that roadster. Best of luck with the project and keep us posted!
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #52
rgtharley

I was lucky enough to stumble onto two 35's about a year & a half ago. I bought both of them pretty cheap. The Tudor Deluxe sedan was just on that hairy edge, still about 75% original paint, and real solid sheet metal, yet had not run in over 20 years, so I decided to do what my buddy Jay calls a "sympathetic restoration". Bring back the things that can be brought back, replace what can't be fixed, and make it safe to drive. The second one, a convertible sedan, will be my long term, frame off, full resto, as long as the money, and the wife hold out. Hopefully, by the time I get that one done, there will still be folks interested in seeing them, and owning them! Besides, it still beats putting money in the stock market!
rgtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #53
59ab

My '53 Victoria is just going to be a nice driver(I hope). I admire show cars and at one time made my living working on them but for my personal use I would be afraid to put one on the road.
59ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #54
40fordpu

Runstoration. Love it. I am under 30 years of age and think that restoration is the way to go. I am with some of the guys in terms of getting a restoration as close to perfect but having fun with it. I am taking something that is twice as old as me, that didnt run, that was ready for the scrap yard and bringing it back to life. I didnt get to experience 1940 but this truck will get me pretty close.
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #55
Robert Dip

Interesting read. We know that the word ‘restoration’ is relative to the person’s point of view. ( forget show judging ) I love finding the original parts that are suited for the car, be it 100% original or true older aftermarket or speed parts applicable to the proper era. Once having obtained the car / parts, how perfect will it have to be…..again a relative word….just simply painted as it was, or…. ‘SHOW’ polished like a mirror, or how about half way, carefully painted and showing its manufacturing marks. I believe that most of us are at this stage of thought…..if to perfect, can’t drive without worrying to death if a rock chip or whatever occurs. I guess a solution is to have a few cars…..some to toy onto perfection, and some to really enjoy driving them, without worry. I see no other alternative….the “do I make this perfect, or not” is what we live with daily. As Peter C. mentioned, $$$$$$$$$$$ runs up fast, so, one way or another, we have to make these decisions.
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #56
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
not me i think if i took my truck apart it will never go back together. i like maintaining it and driving it
Ha Ha,

Truer words have never been spoken. Restoration is for the very patient, myopic, perfectionists. They have my respect and admiration. To wonder about chalk marks and placement shows true dedication. To compete against other like minded individuals for the most perfect factory restoration example also takes a serious individual. Unfortunately I lack all of these traits and just fix and drive them. Fun is in the eye of the Individual. Restorers even the most hardcore are fun for me to talk to and a wealth of knowledge. I have yet to have a bad experience with a true car guy who restors his own stuff, most just look at my cars as "potential restoration projects" Kinda like I look at most of their unfinished ones as great Hot Rod starts. Are any of us who love early Ford stuff that far away from restorers? I don't know anybody who doesn't cherish the original Ford Material over Repo stuff. I'll gladly straighten a rusted bent piece over a shiny Repop. I choose pieces for my cars based on how they work, but it's gotta be Ford parts on the older styled cars for me. 4 Bangers, wire wheels, three speeds, and a Banjo. Each piece restored/rebuilt to good working standards. I suppose I am somewhere in the middle as I would never tear up a restoration into Hot Rod, But I would also never place a Hot Rod back into "stock" status. I guess if we stay in our respective spots but cross the fences when each other needs help it'll remain alot of fun.

Last edited by Tim; 11-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #57
barnfind08

Tim: What great observations and prose.
barnfind08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #58
FL&WVMIKE

DAVID J. ........................
WOW ! Man, you got guts ! Good Luck !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #59
Gordon Ellis

Have owned my 32 5 window coupe for 55 years. As a teenage kid, I performed some abominations on it, alterations that I would not think of doing today. My 'restoration' definition means that I am restoring it to the condition it was in when I drove it as a high school kid. That means that it is basically a stock coupe but with a 39 flathead engine and 39 hydraulic brakes. I do not have the time , finances , nor inclination to totally restore my car.
Gordon Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #60
David J

Hey Mikey , Gettin skeered - lost a step ta da boyz inna wite sutze .
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
DAVID J. ........................
WOW ! Man, you got guts ! Good Luck !
MIKE