Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Blu Dice

Default Voltage regulator purpose??

I'm very weak in the electrical areas of a car so please bare with me. I'm having some issues at the amp gauge and was wanting to know if the voltage regulator could be the cause since I have no clue what they do along with the generator.
Thanks
Blu Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
SofaKing

Default Re: Voltage regulator purpose??

Can you be more specific about what the "issues" are?
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
Mr 42

The voltage regulator, regulates the voltage so the battery wont over charge.

Its also keep the amps low enough so it wont fry the generator, when charging.

And Finally it brake the circuit when the engine is turned off, so it wont empty the battery when standing still.
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
BUBBAS IGNITION

I guess we would need a description of issues at the amp gauge.
Does the amp gauge show charge or discharge etc ??
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

His original issue........click the link! DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156821

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
Blu Dice

Once in a while it shows a discharge then jumps back. This is with lights on and the heater blower on too. With all off needle is slightly showing a charge.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
koates

Hi there, Intermittent generator charging could be caused by a number of things. The carbon generator brushes could be worn out or sticking and gummed up where they slide under spring tension in their holders. The voltage regulator contacts may be burnt or pitted and require refacing and adjustment which is best left to someone trained in this type of work like an Auto Electrician. I would recommend that you don't play around with the voltage regulator as the adjustments and settings inside require to be set very precisely. You could check all the generator, regulator, ammeter and other connections and terminals to make sure they are clean and tight. Check generator belt for correct tension (see your workshop manual) but don't over tighten it. The generator requires to be somewhat above engine idle speed to enable it to charge, unlike an alternator which will usually charge at engine idle speed. I think in your case take the car to an Auto Electrical shop and have it checked out. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
Blu Dice

I am going to remove the generator and inspect the brushes. I don't have a shop manual yet - is it the very large bolt in the center or the 2 bolts on each side that adjust the tension?
Thanks everyone for your responses.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
40cpe

The large bolt in the center of the generator mount is loosened to adjust the belt tension.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #10
Tony, NY

Center nut will loosen both the gen and fan belts. The other 2 bolts loosen just the fan belt.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
Blu Dice

I'm confused. To lower just the generator which bolts do I loosen - the big one or the 2 smaller ones. Thanks
Old 12-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #12
Blu Dice

Also what tricks are used to adjust the tension of the belts - wedge a long bar where and how? I used to have a shoebox, but forgot how I did all this stuff - senior moments are a bitch!
Old 12-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #13
scooder

You can't just lower the generator. The big nut will allow the fan and generator to drop, the fan can be moved in its own (the two smaller bolts) but it uses these bolts to attach to the generator mount. So when tightening you do the generator first then the fan.
Loosen the big one, allow them to drop, then remove the strap over the generator.
Tightening, they don't need to be that tight (good belt wrap) so gentle leveraging twix the timing cover and fan bracket and twix the generator and manifold.
Good luck,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #14
Blu Dice

Thanks - so I need to deal with just the big bolt to remove the generator - that's a big help to me - thanks again.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #15
Old Henry

No, to remove the generator you first loosen the big bolt to let the generator and fan drop. But, then you have to remove the fan from the generator bracket to remove the generator. Both small bolts need removed to do that. Then the generator slides up and out without removing the big bolt - just loosening it.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #16
BUBBAS IGNITION

Blu,

I would suggest taking the generator and regulator to Vans Auto Electric on Oliver ave Indys west side . They do a great job building and setting up the pair etc.....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #17
Old Henry

When you're ready to tighten the belts back up be careful not to get them too tight. I just burned out the bearings on my generator from having the belt too tight. There should be at least 1/2" play in the belt. I like a little more.

What they don't tell you in the above instructions is how to "move the generator assemply upward." There are a lot of different ways but here's how I think is easiest.

I tighten the generator/pump belt first by inserting my cresent wrench handle under the generator right against the front bracket so the end is on the intake manifold bracket under the front of the generator (see photo) then push down the end of the wrench to "pry" the generator up as tight as I want the belt and hold it there while tightening the bolt that holds it in place. It takes very little effort with that much leverage. No special jig or tool required. Just simple leverage. That belt is the more critical for tightness since it runs both water pumps and the generator. The fan belt I tighten by just pulling up on the fan while tightening one of the bolts that holds it in place. Again, doesn't take much effort to just lift the fan up. It's not heavy like the generator is. Then I can quit pulling up on the fan and tighten the other bolt. I don't think the tightness of that belt is as critical as the other that I get tighter by "prying" the generator up.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #18
Blu Dice

Thanks Jim - I wondered if Van's worked on generators.
Thanks Old Henry - thay's very helpful info.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #19
rotorwrench

On an 8BA generator, you can remove the strap and let the gen rock forward to remove the belt. When reinstalling, you have to get the locating pin back in its socket when rocking it back then reattach the strap. 8BA generators are easier to remove than the older engines with the mounting bracket as part of the generator body.

When I adjust belt tension on an 8BA/8CM/8RT, I do it with the generator out of the cradle. I just loosen the slider nut and move the bracket up a bit & tighten. I then reinstall the generator and check the belt tension.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #20
Blu Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
On an 8BA generator, you can remove the strap and let the gen rock forward to remove the belt. When reinstalling, you have to get the locating pin back in its socket when rocking it back then reattach the strap. 8BA generators are easier to remove than the older engines with the mounting bracket as part of the generator body.

When I adjust belt tension on an 8BA/8CM/8RT, I do it with the generator out of the cradle. I just loosen the slider nut and move the bracket up a bit & tighten. I then reinstall the generator and check the belt tension.
I was looking at it last nite and wondered if that was possible - thanks you saved me some extra work!!
Old 12-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #21
scooder

Old Henry, just to clear up some possible contradiction and ambiguity. We're talking about late 8BA style stuff here, not 59a and earlier.
So he can just loosen the big nut, let it drop, undo The strap and pull the generator, leaving everything else where it is. Can be done rotorwrench way, but I find the little pin a Git to Line up doing it that way. Whatever is found easyer.
Also, being late 8BA style, narrow belts, one belt per one water pump.
Just to be clear.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #22
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Old Henry, just to clear up some possible contradiction and ambiguity. We're talking about late 8BA style stuff here, not 59a and earlier.
So he can just loosen the big nut, let it drop, undo The strap and pull the generator, leaving everything else where it is. Can be done rotorwrench way, but I find the little pin a Git to Line up doing it that way. Whatever is found easyer.
Also, being late 8BA style, narrow belts, one belt per one water pump.
Just to be clear.
Martin.
Sorry, I didn't ever see where his engine was identified.