Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
donh

Default MAFCA lawsuit

Anyone have an update on the pending legal action in CA?
donh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
Logan

Default Re: MAFCA lawsuit

I heard... Meaning idk if it's true or not 100%. But I heard the lawsuit got settled. I don't know if it ever made it to court, I think what I heard was that Mafca and the individuals family settled out of court, because the cost of settling was better than paying the court and legal fees. It's kind of a shame that someone one sue Mafca like that. And I truly do feel sorry for the individuals family for loosing a loved one. But it seems like someone was just trying to milk if for all its worth.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Franchise_24

What was the event that happened if I may ask?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Is this something different that the problem from about 5 years ago?
I think in that one a guy was hit by a golf cart.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
eshaver

I have a better idea , 1. reform tort laws . 2., eliminate Liars, uh er Lawyers !
Old 05-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Franchise_24

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
So wait, someone unfortunately was killed driving their Model A on a MAFCA meet and the family sued MAFCA because of it? What sense does that make other than wanting money? How is it MAFCA's fault they were in an accident and killed? Wouldn't you go after the driver involved in the accident?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
donh

Just reviewed the last issue of "The Restorer" March/April that I have. All it states is "We are unable to discuss details since it is still active". No mention of any settlement. Maybe it is in the May/June issue that has arrived yet
donh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
mhsprecher

People want a risk free world. If we could eliminate insurance fraud, rates would go down for everyone. Lawyers will sue anyone who had anything to do with it. Of course, there could be negligence involved, so it is good to know the facts. It's sad when a not-for-profit volunteer organization suffers, but that is why we have insurance.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Logan

As I understand it, it was his kids that sued Mafca. His wife didnt want any blame placed on them. But I guess the kids took it upon themselves to go ahead and sue them. If I understand the story that I was told, the guy was out driving his A on a club tour, or something of that sort. Got hit from behind by a car on the interstate. The door flung open, and he fell out. It's a sad reality of the world that we live in today. People are just that greedy that they would sue an organization like Mafca, when the guy took it upon himself to drive the car. Mafca wasnt forcing him too. But it is another example as to why everybody should put seat belts in their A's, regardless if it is correct or not. You can make seat belts look really nice inside of a model A. Anybody that gets out and drives their A's with this modern traffic without a belt is asking for trouble.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Jim Brierley

I believe that Logan has it right. I also thing it has been settled but don't know any of the details. Yes, it is a bummer!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
H. L. Chauvin

Humble Opinion:

Sadly, in 2013, right or wrong does not matter any more with most U. S. citizens, & morals do not matter any more with most U. S. citizens today either.

If one has insurance, there are some greedy reptile type lawyers who are going to sue to get insurance money no matter what.

Its like a gambling game today, similar to going to the court house to play the Court House Cash Register.

These maggot juice lawyer types make all of the other lawyers look bad; however, many honest lawyers do not agree with these legal money grabbing thieves -- they already know who they are in every community.

The insurance company looks at all of these law suits strictly like a necessary business decision to remain in business:

a. Option 1: Is to hire good lawyers to go to court to pay thousands of dollars to prove that their client was right; or,

b. Option 2: Settle out of court for a lot less money, even though they know their client is not guilty.

c. Option 2 occurs more than 90% of the time & clients are never happy while knowing they did nothing wrong.

Like so many other true American patriots who see what is on the future, Un-United State's horizon with our current U. S. lying leaders acting like dictators, I just continue to try to encourage others to exercise their right as citizens to vote, & vote wisely.

The MAFCA officials & all of the MAFCA members know deep down that MAFCA was never guilty for the careless act of any vehicle driver.

Just had a somewhat similar experience -- fact of life -- just learned to live with it.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Franchise_24

I think you pretty much sumed it up H.L.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
Bob C

These links tell about the accident.

#13 Mike V. Florida

Re: MAFCA lawsuit question
It is the Speer lawsuit,

http://milpitas.patch.com/articles/e...l-a-enthusiast
More details

http://findmyaccident.com/california...a-in-mariposa/

http://www.contracostatimes.com/rss/...482?source=rss

I see no reason for a law suit against MAFCA based on these reports. He was stopped and another car was hit and forced into him. He did nothing and for sure the club did nothing. Again in this country you can sue anyone for any reason as long as you want to pay a lawyer. It is the lawyers that have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

MAFCA calls it the "Speer Lawsuit" but I'm unable to find out who is exactly sueing MAFCA. Is it one of the drivers or the Speer family?

Remember the woman that bought hot coffee, placed it between her legs while driving and won money because it was hot and burned her?

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 01-17-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

In a ridiculous MAFCA settlement like this, the good & honest lawyer for the insurance company, (who the insurance company uses time & time again), always stipulates in the agreement signed by all parties that this law suit matter is not to be discussed further in order to further protect the insurance company & their client from these gold diggers.

The opposing reptile lawyer who sued never disagrees.

He would probably offer to go to a zoo & sleep (5) nights with a nasty, stinking hippo with loose bowels to get his cash.

Most of his clients are probably on welfare also looking for big bucks -- they would volunteer for the hippo deal also -- all modern day birds of a feather type -- buzzards to be more exact.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
zzlegend

UH,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I take it you don't care for scam lawyers H.L.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
Franchise_24

Wow what is this country coming to? The worst part is he wasn't even at the MAFCA event yet, he was on his way, and MAFCA still gets sued.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
Arlen

There was a big write up on this in the last restorer. It's settled.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
Jordan

It was probably cheaper for MAFCA to settle, than it would have been to go to court and try to fight against it. In California, they have some weird law about who pays the court fees, but I can't remember what it is now. But that is probably why it was just cheaper to do it out of court.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #19
H. L. Chauvin

In trying to respond to the gentleman in reply #16, after sharing a small office building with a criminal lawyer for over 15 years, he & I became very close trustworthy friends until today.

In the early years he cooked every Friday afternoon & invited several of his young lawyer friends over to eat, & like any other small group, descent people enjoy the company of other good honest people; hence, I met some of the most sincere, compassionate lawyers & their families for whom I still have profound respect today.

Some later became responsible judges. These guys knew the very few lawyer shady characters who were never invited on Friday afternoons.

For people who try to do what is right, there is nothing like having a few good honest lawyer friends with integrity when you really need one -- also, many judges learn quickly who to believe in a court room.

I feel certain MAFCA chose a trustworthy attorney to fight this present "System" we all endure -- appears life is not always fair, & we should try to be prepared to take the bumps along with smooth sailing.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
zzlegend

Agreed.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote