Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #61
ericr

Default Re: MAFCA lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
In trying to respond to the gentleman in reply #16, after sharing a small office building with a criminal lawyer for over 15 years, he & I became very close trustworthy friends until today.

In the early years he cooked every Friday afternoon & invited several of his young lawyer friends over to eat, & like any other small group, descent people enjoy the company of other good honest people; hence, I met some of the most sincere, compassionate lawyers & their families for whom I still have profound respect today.

Some later became responsible judges. These guys knew the very few lawyer shady characters who were never invited on Friday afternoons.

For people who try to do what is right, there is nothing like having a few good honest lawyer friends with integrity when you really need one -- also, many judges learn quickly who to believe in a court room.

I feel certain MAFCA chose a trustworthy attorney to fight this present "System" we all endure -- appears life is not always fair, & we should try to be prepared to take the bumps along with smooth sailing.
so what happened today to change that opinion, I am confused.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #62
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
As I understand it, it was his kids that sued Mafca. His wife didnt want any blame placed on them. But I guess the kids took it upon themselves to go ahead and sue them. If I understand the story that I was told, the guy was out driving his A on a club tour, or something of that sort. Got hit from behind by a car on the interstate. The door flung open, and he fell out. It's a sad reality of the world that we live in today. People are just that greedy that they would sue an organization like Mafca, when the guy took it upon himself to drive the car. Mafca wasnt forcing him too. But it is another example as to why everybody should put seat belts in their A's, regardless if it is correct or not. You can make seat belts look really nice inside of a model A. Anybody that gets out and drives their A's with this modern traffic without a belt is asking for trouble.
why would you drive a Model A on a interstate? why not sue Ford ? they have deeper pockets!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #63
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
why would you drive a Model A on a interstate? why not sue Ford ? they have deeper pockets!
Forget the Model A how about just going to a store in your modern car because of a sale? I see no difference.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #64
H. L. Chauvin

Hi eric,

My lawyer & judge friends mentioned in my message no. 19 are in the same rural & small town group mentioned in the above paragraph 6. of message 52.

A very dishonest or very careless professional can continue practicing & last forever & ever in a large city because with neighbors not knowing neighbors, bad reports never spread.

In a rural area or very small town, many people know the names of dogs & horses in other people's back yards; one very dishonest or very careless professional screw up & the professional can usually pack his bags, whether elected or not elected.

Also, never saw a small country lawyer who could afford or who would want a National TV Advertisement for seeking clients who would fake getting wounded after taking Testosterone Pills.

Just one opinion; but, hope this helps.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-11-2014 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #65
Lowell Fast

These big insurance policy limits draw these suits like flies to sugar. Insurance company just pays and ups the premiums.
Lowell Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #66
Napa Skip

Quote:
...opposing reptile lawyer who sued ...would probably offer to go to a zoo & sleep (5) nights with a nasty, stinking hippo with loose bowels...
What do you have against hippos that you would force one to sleep with a lawyer?
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #67
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Skip,

Very good question; but, as far as reptiles & hippos, I always heard that hippos in the wild will very often attack & destroy crocodiles -- humans too ..... whether they passed the Bar Exam or not.

Maybe part of this Wikipedia article can help shed some light; & maybe it can also offer cautious advice to anyone who is shipping their Model A's overseas & contemplating going on a Safari in a Model A.

"Crocodiles are particularly frequent targets of hippo aggression, likely because they often inhabit the same riparian habitats as hippos. Crocodiles may be either aggressively displaced or killed by hippopotamuses.[71] Hippos are also very aggressive towards humans, whom they commonly attack whether in boats or on land with no apparent provocation.[72] They are widely considered to be one of the most dangerous large animals in Africa.[73][74] "

Might be a good idea to leave your more expensive Model A whitewalls at home.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-12-2014 at 11:43 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #68
Napa Skip

Quote:
Might be a good idea to leave your more expensive Model A whitewalls at home.
Whitewalls are history (although they - and the straw-colored wheels - still reside in the parts shed) principally because after 35+ years and 15k miles, there wasn't a lot of tread left, although no checking (Bedford 4-ply nylon tires). Was fortunate enough to acquire 3+ pickup loads of Model A parts a year or so ago for $150.00, among which were 10 19" wheels, 8 of which were true and 5 of which are now sporting blackwalls. Will try and get updated avatar photo this July 4th when we're again in the parade in Calistoga.

Wandering further off topic (sorry) I actually wish we had taken our Model A to Africa when we spent a month visiting our daughter in the village of Ha Salemone, Senqunyane, Lesotho, where she was in the middle of a 2-year Peace Corps tour as a teacher. The "A" probably would have fared better than the Toyota we rented in Johanasburg, but that's another story and definitely off topic...
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.

Last edited by Napa Skip; 06-13-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote