Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
Cashmere Kid

Default Wipers

Hiall
Can some one tell me do the wiper post on the vacuum unit go too the engine or the dash side also what sort of clips holds the arms on to the small posts on the unit ? There were none on it when I got it, can you discribe them please,
Thanks Geoff
Cashmere Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:33 AM   #2
51woodie

Default Re: Wipers

What year and model is the car?
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:35 AM   #3
Cashmere Kid

1946 Ford coupe
Cashmere Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
RKS.PA

The posts on the wiper motor go toward the firewall or engine side. They connect to the arms that operate the shafts that go through the cowl.

Think that for 1946, there were two types of wipers: Trico style and King-Seeley. Not sure if you have access to The 1941-1948 Ford Book, but on page 2-17 there's an illustrated parts breakdown.

On my '47, I have the Trico style, but the control mechanism is a little different than the replacement parts offered today. The vacuum goes through it first and then to the wiper motor.

The control arms connect to the motor shaft with a spring type of clip (part #17450) like was used on the '41.

If you haven't seen it on your car, I understand exactly why you are asking your questions!! I'm not smart enough to post a picture of the page in the Ford book.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
51woodie

Kid. Not sure what parts came with the motor when you got it, but here are a couple of pics of the one from my '46 Coupe. There are brass "bearings" that go over the pins, that are hex shaped on the outside. There are rubber "grommets" with a hex inside, that go in the arms that connect from the wiper shaft bell crank to the wiper motor. The arms are held on the motor arm pins by spring tensioned clips, that have slotted eyes, and the clips fit into the grooves on the ends of the pins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2526.JPG (97.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Wiper Motor (1).jpg (95.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
51woodie

Kid. I forgot to mention that I had a problem with my wipers being VERY slow to operate when I first bought the car. Servicing the wiper motor helped, but I also found that the wiper shaft that comes through the cowl was almost seized. Removed then freed/lubed, and wipers working better, but still nor real good. The next thing I realized, was that a previous owner had replaced both of the wiper arms and blades with some incorrect aftermarket parts. The spring tension was too high, and the blades were heavy compared to the original type. I replaced the arms and blades with aftermarket original style parts, and now the wipers work as designed. The picture shows what was on the car when I bought it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiper Closeup.jpg (76.6 KB, 23 views)