Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
jrvariel48

Default Diaphragm Pressure Plate

I'm installing a fresh blower motor and looking to include a diaphragm style 10" pressure plate in my 35 coupe. I have a 1993 WC T5 trans with a hydraulic slave cylinder and old style(?) fork and shaft. I'm confused on which finger style diaphragm plate(flat or curved) I should use with the throw out bearing set up I have. I included pictures of the bearing set up. I'd also like to hear from some who have used this set up.
Thank you, Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0098.JPG (34.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0099.JPG (37.1 KB, 69 views)
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
V8 Bob

Default Re: Diaphragm Pressure Plate

Normally the straight finger diaphragm is used with large inputs shafts and T/O bearings like early Fords, while the bent finger is for smaller bearings like '49 -up Ford cars etc.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #3
Krylon32

I used to sell a 10 inch diaphragm pressure plate part number CA30 which had the correct pitch on the fingers and the correct inside diameter on the fingers so it didn't machine the large bearing TO hub. I believe it was for an early 50's Ford truck? They still show up from time to time but are getting a little like hens teeth. I used to get them from NAPA or Fort Wayne Clutch.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I used to sell a 10 inch diaphragm pressure plate part number CA30 which had the correct pitch on the fingers and the correct inside diameter on the fingers so it didn't machine the large bearing TO hub. I believe it was for an early 50's Ford truck? They still show up from time to time but are getting a little like hens teeth. I used to get them from NAPA or Fort Wayne Clutch.
I spoke with Barney at Fort Wayne and sent the same pictures I have here, but I haven't heard from him yet.

Can a 10 1/2" pressure plate be used with a 10" clutch plate like the unit speedway sells??

Thanks for responding Gary!
Old 04-01-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
Krylon32

I have sold a 10 1/2 inch disc for the 11 inch clutch people using one of my T5 conversions as at the time there were no appropriate 11 inch discs available. No negative feed back on that so I suppose a 10 inch disc would work with a 10 1/2 inch PP if a 10 1/2 disc was not available?
Old 04-01-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
38bill

Pretty sure the clutch plate that I first used behind my T5 measured 10 1/2" dia and ran a 10" disc. Two years ago I switched to a diaphragm style pressure plate but I wasn't able to find a pp that accepted the large stock throwout bearing. I ended up machining a heavy duty aftermarket S10 throwout bearing to fit the stock hub. The diaphragm style works very smoothly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg to2.jpg (56.8 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by 38bill; 04-01-2019 at 09:28 PM.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
Pretty sure the clutch plate that I first used behind my T5 measured 10 1/2" dia and ran a 10" disc. Two years ago I switched to a diaphragm style pressure plate but I wasn't able to find a pp that accepted the large stock throwout bearing. I ended up machining a heavy duty aftermarket S10 throwout bearing to fit the stock hub. The diaphragm style works very smoothly.
Thanks 38. Is the problem the outside diameter of the large style throwout bearing?
Old 04-02-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
TomT/Williamsburg

The project I just finished is not a flattie but I used a 10.5 inch early 90s Camaro diaphragm pressure plate with a 39 style pedal setup. I used Krylons adapter since the T5Z tranny is the later narrow Ford pattern. Clutch disk was a 10.5” Ford but here’s where it got interesting. The cross shaft and throughout bearing setup is the 39 style. I removed the old Ford t-out bearing and put the matching year Camaro t-out bearing right in front of the Ford carrier. At rest the bearing was just pushing the fingers of the diaphram p-plate so I had a buddy shave off about 1/4” off the front of the carrier and tack welded the Camaro t-out bearing to the carrier so they worked in unison.

The car is on the road with a Buick Nailhead so it’s with much more power and it is working very well. Nice thing about it, it’s all present day off the shelf parts from local sources. My motto is the KISS method - keep it simple stupid (mostly for my benefit - lol!).

Hope this helps in some way - good luck ..... if you need some pics I can dig some up and post here ...
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
38bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
Thanks 38. Is the problem the outside diameter of the large style throwout bearing?
Yes, the large bearing doesnt fit to the fingers on the diaphragm PP.

Anybody know what the hub and bearing measures on a 60hp? I know that the 60HP PP is different because my truck had one installed when I purchased it and it didn't fit to the larger bearing at all. Could be that the PP was for something else entirely.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
Krylon32

I did a T5 conversion for a customer using parts from Shadow Rods and a Mustang T5. They furnished a throwout brg that had clips that hooked over the early fork. I used it with a diaphragm clutch. I thought they said the TO brg was from a Mercury?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #11
oldskool

I bought a 50 merc diaphragm pp from wilcap he has them made for him, I used it behind a 303 olds 39 ford trans big bearing
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #12
rotorwrench

Krylon 32
Sounds like the late 1951 Mercury type. It had clips to hold it to the old style fork.

Special diaphragm plates can be installed in some units if needed to make them work with the big Ford TO bearings but that's mostly if a person is still using the old big input Ford transmissions.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-02-2019 at 12:15 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #13
jrvariel48

Is there a way to change to a smaller t.o. bearing with the old style fork set up I have?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #14
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
Is there a way to change to a smaller t.o. bearing with the old style fork set up I have?
Yes - read post #8 but it depends on your setup. Speedway sells athe p-plate, clutch disk, and most of the misc pieces you need .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:11 AM   #15
richard crow

corn husker sell a complet set up call them may be you can just buy the clutch set up you need
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:39 AM   #16
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Yes - read post #8 but it depends on your setup. Speedway sells athe p-plate, clutch disk, and most of the misc pieces you need .....
Tom, if you could supply pictures that would be helpful!
Thanks, Joe
Old 04-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #17
jrvariel48

So after a lot of research, Mike from Ram clutches set me up with a compatible 10.5" pressure plate, clutch and bearing. It's part number 88761HDX. The throwout bearing is the smaller diameter Chevy style which will be installed the way TomT did his. The original flywheel will have to be redrilled and tapped. The Centerforce seemed to be overkill and on the expensive side. Wilcap and Southbend weren't able to help.
Thanks for the reply's! Joe