Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
nosoup4u

Default Alternate rear axle

Is there a later rear axle that will adapt to a model A frame? Something that has about the same tread width, is not too heavy and is already has hydraulic brakes? Not replacing engine so it doesn't need to handle a lot of horsepower.
nosoup4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Alternate rear axle

You would probably be better off rebuilding your rear axle or getting another Model A rear axle if yours can't be rebuilt. The Model A was the last of the spring over the axle design, later cars had the spring behind the axle. This means you would need to install spring mounts over the axle if a later axle is used. The torque tube and drive shaft will definitely need to be shortened. The later axles are slightly wider but could probably be used (may look a little funny). If you add your general location to your profile maybe someone could a good place to have your rear axle rebuilt.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
LeroyM

Ford 9" rear from an early bronco 66 to 76 but you will need to go open drive and weld on your spring hangers. They're getting harder to find and expensive.
LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:02 AM   #4
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyM View Post
Ford 9" rear from an early bronco 66 to 76 but you will need to go open drive and weld on your spring hangers. They're getting harder to find and expensive.

Don't forget that the pinion yoke is offset 1 1/2"-2 1/2" (can't remember exactly) to the right (passenger side). This is because the entire drivetrain (engine, trans and transfer case) is offset to the right in an early Bronco. I believe this was done to allow more room for the clutch, brake and gas pedals.
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
Terry, NJ

I don't know what you'd pay for a bronco rear, but you could use (I believe) a late 40s rear No spring hanger issues, Hyd. brakes. Others may find this incorrect for some reason, that could be! However, I recently rebuilt a Mod A rear, with a new gear set ( 3.54 ) for less than $800. I'm happy as heck with it. No strange mods, still stock! Not the easiest thing I ever did, but not the hardest either!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
Corley

Jag rear end/suspension use to be the hot rodders hot ticket, but of course you will notice it from behind. S-10 can be made to work, but most of the newer rears are going to be an open driveline. Since later brakes bolt onto the A rear, that is your easiest and probably cheapest route. Later Ford banjo has the hangers behind the axle, and the wrong length driveshaft, so no, not a boltin. You will also run into wheel bolt pattern issues with most swaps.

Unless you re like me and just like to go against the flow, probably not good to change out the rear. If yours is shot, you can rebuild it, or there are a jillion of them out there for CAMO prices. (CAMO- cheap a__ model A Owner)

(Well, there ain't nuthin' cheap when it comes to restoring old iron except the person doing it.)
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Model A parts use to be the least expensive parts of any but have really went up in the last few years .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
Tinbasher

Depends on what you want. But a rear end from a Ranger P/U can be made to work. You'd have to check the width. Lot's of them around, but will take some fabricating to make it work. I've used them under British sports cars that we hot Rodded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TD 57.jpg (69.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG730.jpg (71.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg TD 72.jpg (62.2 KB, 28 views)
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #9
Mikeinnj

Agreed. Prices up,quality down.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote