Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
rockfla

Default Oil pressure issues

I'LL give as much as I know at this time and our intentions. The ole' 39 Merc has some miles on her and when warmed up the oil pressure reads "0". 15 when you first crank it. I am planning on dropping the pan and we have a HV oil pump we can install.....Would that be a wise move at this point early in the game?? Any other suggestions as to possible ways to check/clean/increase potential pressure NOT a fresh rebuild.....original to the point OF Not sure if or when it has ever been rebuilt. NO rebuild tag!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: Oil pressure issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
I'LL give as much as I know at this time and our intentions. The ole' 39 Merc has some miles on her and when warmed up the oil pressure reads "0". 15 when you first crank it. I am planning on dropping the pan and we have a HV oil pump we can install.....Would that be a wise move at this point early in the game?? Any other suggestions as to possible ways to check/clean/increase potential pressure NOT a fresh rebuild.....original to the point OF Not sure if or when it has ever been rebuilt. NO rebuild tag!!!
Has oil been recently changed? Perhaps fit an oil pressure gauge at engine, check here. Then could also try a heavier grade oil and go from there.
Another oil presure gauge fitted would be my first choice.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
rockfla

Redoing the carb and fuel filter as the car has sat for most of 2 years so draining the old gas and cleaning and rebuilding the above.....at that point I will add a auxiliary oil pressure gauge at that point and get a "truer" reading when she is back running and report back.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
Joe Immler

My '41 never registered oil pressure above 10. I added after market oil and water temp gauges. OP is always very good.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
marko39

My 48 F6 would show o psi when hot. Ran it for years hauling firewood . Didn't worry about it as long as engine was quiet. Of coarse it had no exhaust so quiet is relevant.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
Talkwrench

Sometimes they do read low at idle when HOT. The main thing is that you have good oil pressure when the revs rise. Hes a vid of mine, engine hot in fact I think the fan might be on. 20 lbs is about as low as I get, but its a fresh engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQE_oUExqnE
Old 11-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #7
Bored&Stroked

With a good mechanical gauge, it should definitely show at lease 10+ lbs at idle - even when hot. I'm not comfortable at all with an engine that shows less than 10 lbs with a good mechanical gauge - if it does, then something is wrong with the oil pump or the bearing clearances. To me, it isn't worth ruining the bearings by NOT knowing what is going on . . . but hey, I'm a bit picky! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
You shouldn't need a HV pump. I would just put a 49-53 standard Ford/Merc pump in it and be happy. You can buy the necessary oil pump pickup from Speedway. Always check to see that the pickup is about 1/4" from the bottom of the oil pan - sometimes you need to screw with pan baffles and/or the pickup itself (seems I'm always doing crap like that on just about any engine I build!).

If you can find a real/stock Ford pump in good condition, I'd run it. I've seen a couple recent offshore pumps that had casting issues. Most used pumps are actually good - unless the bushings/shafts are shot.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
marko39

Also, if it has a oil filter check to see if it has a restrictor fitting installed. Lack of one will reduce your oil pressure .
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
banditomerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
Has oil been recently changed? Perhaps fit an oil pressure gauge at engine, check here. Then could also try a heavier grade oil and go from there.
Another oil presure gauge fitted would be my first choice.
Phil NZ
Definitely the first course of action...try a different gauge first!
banditomerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #11
STEVE O

Sludge clogging the screen is a high possibly also. Its cost me bearings and cranks for not making sure the oil pump screen is clean.
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote