Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Heat for quansit hut shop...

I was wondering and asking for some opinions on a good heat scource for our newly insulated quansit hut shop (built in 1947).

It is 40' by 80' with a curviture of about 50' to the top. Due to the new doors we put in, we were not able to lower the celing.

There are a lot of ways to go but just asking what you have found to be the most effecient way.

This will enhance my Model A/AA restoration efforts BIG TIME!

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Gerard

Default Re: Heat for quansit hut shop...

Steve , I installed 3 years a go a heat pump ( ait to air ) in my shop and even with temperatures below minus 15 degrees Celcius it keeps the temp at 16 degrees celsius what I considder perfect working conditions .
And in the summer it acts as a airconditioner.
My ceilings are 9 ft high and also insulated with 2 ft insulation material ( blown in stuf )

Give it a thought,
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

Go into engine rebuilding.

Test your engines by powering a generator for electricity and also use the heat from the engine.

On a serious note:

Look up solar water heaters.
Some serious heat can come from some black pipes in the sun, even on cold days. You might get enough heat to make it worth while during the day to run a pump.

Putting a water tank in the ground to store the heat during the day.

If you have the right stuff laying around it may be worth the time.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

if you produce oil or have access to waste oil a good quality waste oil heater is great. i have one in my shop once a year maintenance very reliable. be carefull of the cheaper ones though. also no matter what you decide to go with put in ceiling fans a must for any heater to work efficiently....
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
JoeWay

Steve,

Is your Quonset really 50 feet tall? I would expect more like 20 feet or so at 40 feet wide.

As mentioned above, waste oil is great. I used to burn it until the state started requiring the places that generate a lot of waste oil to document their disposal. Then the truck shops, school district bus shop, etc., couldn't give it to me but had to pay to have it hauled off. So as Ed says make sure you have a reliable source before you go that route.

Now I have a propane forced-air heater hanging from the ceiling.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Rem/Mo

There is a lot of good discussion and info about this on the sistrer site. Garage Journal

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=26
Rem/Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Jason in TX

Gotta have that heat. This car obsession can't only happen half the year!!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
MikeK

You're a farmer. Have you considered compost heat? Many greenhouses use it, with systems ranging from homemade simple to engineered overkill. Just google it. About a dozen tons of rotten Walla Walla's ought to keep that building cozy all winter.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Tom F OHIO

Around here in Ohio a lot of shops including our plumbing & heating shop go with
Co Ray Vac. You hang it up and then the heat penetrates whatever is down below
including the cars and it keeps things nice and toasty once its warm. We've had ours for years and there's not a lot of maintanence either. It can vent right out the
side wall too.
Tom......
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
glenn in camino

I bought my radiant heating system from radiant tech in Vermont. They UPSed it to me here in Camino and my contractor and I installed it before the concrete floor was poured. Even when the outside temp is in the 20s, its 65 in my garage. Check out radianteck.com
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
Gary WA

Wood Stove!!!
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
mass A man

For my two cents, a Modine gas heater, flick the switch, go to work, flick switch off, go to bed. Modine has many types and sizes to choose from. P.S. ALL you guys have very good ideas too.--Pete.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
Brentwood Bob

Guess the old 2 barrel wood burning stove would be too antiquated. You might have to put up a curtain wall. move your projects to the heated section of your hanger. Just have a concrete floor in that say 1/3, or 50 % of the total building. Guess your part of the world doesn't have a easy source of firewood though.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #14
'29wagon

winter is headed to walla walla washington, gets kinda stiff in a shop when its cold, the air gets kinda dry too, and heat rises so get away from the tradition of ventilated systems.
look into heated floor systems . you know about the smaller bathroom setup but think about it . and you've had to have been to manhattan where every vagrant heats for free.

build yourself a radiator system, maybe glycol.
years ago i was put on a site with an electrical contractor who had me heating and bending plastic conduit. i had the task of firing up an 80 gallon water heater filled with glycol. yea anti freeze . think about running that through your system.
or go tankless.
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #15
Jim Huseby

All of the heating systems mentioned are interesting and rather fascinating, the solar and ground source, especially. How much sun do you typically get in the winter? Are you going to partition off or box-in a work space & leave the rest un-heated? Do you have a large south-facing door? If you're wanting to get set up quick so you can spend more time playing than working on your building, some plug-in electric heaters have become very efficient and would keep you warm in your boxed in work space. As long as the grid stays going.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
Blessyouboys

What is a quansit hut?
Blessyouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #17
Ross/Kzoo

Quonset hut

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Quonset (disambiguation).

Quonset huts in front of Laguna Peak, Point Mugu, in 1946.

A Quonset hut being put in place at the 598th Engineer Base Depot in Japan, post-World War II

A Quonset hut is a lightweight prefabricated structure of corrugated galvanised steel having a semicircular cross section. The design was based on the Nissen hut developed by the British during World War I. The name comes from their site of first manufacture, Quonset Point, at the Davisville Naval Construction Battalion Center in Davisville (a village located within the town of North Kingstown, Rhode Island).
In 1941 the United States Navy needed an all-purpose, lightweight building that could be shipped anywhere and assembled without skilled labor. The George A. Fuller construction company was selected to manufacture them. The first was produced within 60 days of contract award.
The original design was a 16 ft × 36 ft (5 × 11 m) structure framed with steel members with an 8 ft (2.4 m) radius. The sides were corrugated steel sheets. The two ends were covered with plywood, which had doors and windows. The interior was insulated and had pressed wood lining and a wood floor. The building could be placed on concrete, on pilings, or directly on the ground with a wood floor.
The most common design created a standard size of 20 ft × 48 ft (6 m × 15 m) with 10 ft (3 m) radius, allowing 720 square feet (67 m²) of usable floor space, with optional four-foot (1.2 m) overhangs at each end for protection of entrances from the weather. Other sizes were developed, including 20 ft × 40 ft (6 m × 12 m) and 40 ft × 100 ft (12 m × 30 m) warehouse models.
The flexible interior space was open, allowing for use as barracks, latrines, offices, medical and dental offices, isolation wards, housing, and bakeries.
Between 150,000 and 170,000 Quonset huts were manufactured during World War II. After the war, the U.S. military sold the surplus Quonset huts to the public for $1,000 each[citation needed]—this approached the cost of a small home. Many are still standing throughout the United States. Besides those that remain in use as outbuildings, they are often seen at military museums and other places featuring World War II memorabilia. Many were also used for temporary postwar housing, such as Rodger Young Village in Los Angeles, California, Columbia Record's Studio B in Nashville which was also called "The Quonset Hut", Michigan State University's Quonset Village in East Lansing, Michigan.[1]
A number of variations on the quonset hut design use materials other than corrugated galvanised steel.[2][3]
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #18
Deluxe Delivery Don

That is very close to what Steve has.
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #19
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Yep...that is us...Ours was purchased from the Army or Navy from somewhere and established on our ranch, and a few others in the area, in 1947.

Thanks Ross for the information on the "Quonset Hut".

AND thanks to all for your thoughts on the heat scource...will keep you informed but I think the wood stove is out. I would like to put pipes under the cement but that means tearing up the existing cement floor and that is out of the question!

We may just go for the BEST used oil burning heater as we use enough oil throughout the year to go that route...propane to damn expensive.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #20
Scott NY

You could always move to a warmer year round climate
Scott NY is offline   Reply With Quote