Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Newc

Default Fordomatic mystery 53 up

Hi all; My '53 6cyl with a Fordomatic has started eating front pumps (2). We checked crank end play ( in spec), the torque converter installation, and are stumped. On the latest rebuils I used a good '54 core. The pump gear is being pushed into its face plate by something! These pumps are scarce and expensive. the car is a rouge class and I am trying to save it. All ideas appeciated. Thanks Newc in Oregon
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
Hoosier Hurricane

Default Re: Fordomatic mystery 53 up

Are the tabs on the converter drive hub indexed properly into the pump? When the trans is bolted to the engine, the converter should be free to move front to rear a little. If it won't, something is wrong with the installation. John
Hoosier Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
Newc

Hi again all; The rebuild and the installation are beging done by a very experienced shop. We are stumped for now. We are considering shortening the drive hub and tangs, but would like to find the cause. No one has experienced the same problem , I guess? Newc
Old 09-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
ford3

check the thrust washer on the main cap, if it has to much play the crank can walk back and forth causing the crank shaft to force the torque converter to put excessive pressure on the trans input shaft, the one that turns the pump
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

Sounds like you have the wrong converter hub. Those were made in different lengths. If the hub (hollow shaft portion) is too long, it will destroy the pump in very little driving time.
Also you need to make certain that you are properly engaging the "dogs" of the converter hub into the "slots" in the front pump.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Newc

Thanks all: A tear down is now required. Cranks' end play was suposed to have been spec'd, but I am going to change shops for a new look. Newc
Old 09-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
JeffB2

You might want to ask here also: http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730/ This is an all Ford transmission forum.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Newc

Hi all; Thanks for the help. The latest turned out to be a stuck pressure relief in the transmission- no go at all. I have found another core also. Stop scrapping your cores, parts ect. are getting real scarce. Newc in Oregon
Old 09-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Hi all; Thanks for the help. The latest turned out to be a stuck pressure relief in the transmission- no go at all. I have found another core also. Stop scrapping your cores, parts ect. are getting real scarce. Newc in Oregon
One thing I would check is the Flexplate installation. There is a ring that goes between the Flexplate bolts and the Flexplate. I've seen this ring installed between the crankshaft flange and the Flexplate which moves the convertor back the thickness of the ring which would cause this problem.
As mentioned above I would loosen the Flexplate to convertor bolts and check the endplay of the convertor.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
Newc

Hi all; The latest is another tranny full of metal. Pulled pan to check why it's bypassing and found a load of new metal in the pan! Both pumps, front and rear now show wear. I couldn't believe it, the experienced shop can't explain it. Wrong oil? We now have another core, a Merc tranny. This is driving a whole shop nuts! I'll keep you all posted, maybe a week or so. Newc