Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #81
Blownflatheaddeuce

Default Re: How's your cam ??

That engine/cam/fuel mix just screams NASTY !!

Im running a kustom ground Tatom blower cam in my 8BA at 289ci.

HAULS !!

BFD
Blownflatheaddeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #82
Cartravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
From the description of the desired end result there is only one or two cams that can actually fit the requirement. First would be a stock cam and second would be the Tilden Tech 8CM Plus cam. Any of the others which have been mentioned in the responses here will take you in the opposite direction from your request.
To follow up on John's comment, you should study his book and my website (http://www.tildentechnologies.com/Ca...rformance.html). Despite all the folklore it comes down to the valve timing. Unfortunately, the 8CM Plus cam currently exists only on paper. I've been trying to get Bill Stipe at Specialty Motor Cams to make them. Perhaps we need some sort of grassroots ground swell of requests.
Larry Young
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #83
Junknshit
Banned

Anyone here running a Tatom built motor?
Junknshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #84
Ol' Ron

Larry
After racing drags as well as stock cars for many years I thought I had a sense about cams. I do not profess to be knowledgeable in cam design. I've known David Generous for over 30 years and he's been very helpful in exolaining the ups and douns of camshafts. At this point in my engine building efforts I;ve been trying to geet more efficency out of our Flathead and am building an econo engine specificity for fuel mileage, without sacrificing performance. So far we've succeeded in puting a 276 ci engine in a 3800 lb car and getting exelent mileage. It's at it's best right now with 21.5 in a 50 mile route that consist of 66% local roads and 33% interst5ate. Now here the RUB, it shouldn't do this , the engine has a Cam techniques L-100 246/235 at .050 .360 net lift. The economy engine is similar but with an EAB cam.
There must be a reason why this cam performs as well as it does. One other engine in a 37 4 dr seadn gets 21 mpg on a trip which des not have any interstate driving. I feel I could get more from this engine if we removed the 97's and installed a better distributor, but the 42 crab dist id performomg well so far.
I've plotted a few cams before and I have a Howard M-6 which may work quit well from a mileade point of view.

But we hot ridders like the sound of a hot cam.
Regards
Ol' Ron
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #85
Ol' Ron

That should read M-8. sorry.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #86
flatheadz-forever

I gotta say best thread I have seen/read in too long. Great information. I really wanted to run the potvin eliminator, but many said it would wear my lifters.I dont know if this is true I would like to hear one idle at 900rpm not that I doubt it just would be awsome before I decide to install one
flatheadz-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #87
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadz-forever View Post
I gotta say best thread I have seen/read in too long. Great information. I really wanted to run the potvin eliminator, but many said it would wear my lifters.I dont know if this is true I would like to hear one idle at 900rpm not that I doubt it just would be awsome before I decide to install one
Wear your lifters?????????
HA HA HA ROFLMAO......
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #88
flatheadz-forever

Haha ok I worded that wrong. I heard that if you let the eliminator idle to low or too long it will wear out your valve train. It is sometimes hard to tell who is b.s. you
flatheadz-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #89
Straightpipes

I've torn down quite a few flatheads and ran across some reground cams that I could never identify. It seems as though there were many unknown folks grinding camshafts for a lot of uses in the 40s and 50s.
Has anyone ever tried to compile a list and ID markings? Especially for the lesser known brands.
What brings this to mind is that I just pulled a few out of my shed and have one marked "L 49". Haven't measured it yet.
Oh, by the way( Ol Ron if your listening) I put an L-100 in my 8BA and never bothered to look. Is the L-100 marked by cam techniques?
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #90
Ol' Ron

Unless somebody is copying them? Yes. Where did you get it?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #91
OLD...BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartravel View Post
To follow up on John's comment, you should study his book and my website (http://www.tildentechnologies.com/Ca...rformance.html). Despite all the folklore it comes down to the valve timing. Unfortunately, the 8CM Plus cam currently exists only on paper. I've been trying to get Bill Stipe at Specialty Motor Cams to make them. Perhaps we need some sort of grassroots ground swell of requests.
Larry Young
I'AM IN, just spent some time with your chart and I went back and read John's tread on page 2-#28, and the 8CM, with its low duration,and good lift. Would be right for the good low end and off the line, torque, we want for the street. The other question is "what is the idell" going to sound like?? Like Ol"Ron we love a hot sounding flathead ...So how do we get this cam ground, out here where we can run it ... And how do we contack Bill Strip at Specialty Moters Cams ... Like I said up top I'AM IN ....and thanks for all the nice things you all have said about this tread "HOW'S YOUR CAM" ??.... OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #92
Cartravel

I don't know if any of you have run across Harvey Cranes website - http://www.harveycrane.com/duration.htm. Lopey idle is a result of valve overlap, the degrees both valves are open. This spells a loss of low end torque. Of course, you can make up for that loss through other mods.

Can someone post the 0.050 and seat timing numbers for the L-100 cam? I've seen some of the numbers, but no lobe separation.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #93
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartravel View Post
I don't know if any of you have run across Harvey Cranes website - http://www.harveycrane.com/duration.htm. Lopey idle is a result of valve overlap, the degrees both valves are open. This spells a loss of low end torque. Of course, you can make up for that loss through other mods.

Can someone post the 0.050 and seat timing numbers for the L-100 cam? I've seen some of the numbers, but no lobe separation.
L100
LIFT: .375"
DUR: int 270* exh 260* (246* & 238* @ .050")
LSA: 112*
CL: 108*
LASH: .016"
Old 11-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #94
Bassman/NZ

This is such a good thread, I'd like to include lifters in it as they are part and parcel of the cam setup. I've read posts here and on the Hamb stating that modern Johnson replicas are rubbish. I dont know if that's true or not..... would anyone care to throw their 2cents in? Are there viable lightweight alternatives? Does lifter weight play much part in a flathead valvetrain? Here in New Zealand, back in the days when flatheads were common at racetracks, guys used to build up valve stems and/or lifters with brazing because adjustables weren't available here. Is this still done?
So many questions, so little time............
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #95
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
This is such a good thread, I'd like to include lifters in it as they are part and parcel of the cam setup. I've read posts here and on the Hamb stating that modern Johnson replicas are rubbish. I dont know if that's true or not..... would anyone care to throw their 2cents in? Are there viable lightweight alternatives? Does lifter weight play much part in a flathead valvetrain? Here in New Zealand, back in the days when flatheads were common at racetracks, guys used to build up valve stems and/or lifters with brazing because adjustables weren't available here. Is this still done?
So many questions, so little time............
Adjustable lifters have gotten a bad rap in the last few years.
A large percentage of it is deserved...Everyone has stories of them lasting forever and others say they had them back off almost immediately.
Most are probably made offshore now so who can know?

I advocate using stock hollow steel lifters and welding the valve stem if they are too short....It takes longer to do but you only do it once and they never move. In high performance (not street) engines adjustables have no place.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #96
40 Deluxe

How about modern cam designs in a flathead? I'm thinking of the "Thump'r" series cams from Comp Cams. Has anybody run one of these? Are they for 'show' or 'go'?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #97
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
How about modern cam designs in a flathead? I'm thinking of the "Thump'r" series cams from Comp Cams. Has anybody run one of these? Are they for 'show' or 'go'?

I'm interested in that as well. I'm always leery of a cam advertising "the sound" vs. performance.

Almost makes it seem hokey.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #98
Cartravel

The L-100 looks similar to an Isky 400Jr with 3 or 4 degrees of advance.

If you are concerned about valve train weight, you can find some information at http://www.tildentechnologies.com/Cams/CamSprings.html.
You can't beat the stock lifters for weight.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #99
lonewolf

Does anyone have an audio clip of the isky 1007b
lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #100
felix37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
It's hard to believe a person would have a Flathead as a daily driver, but if you d then I'd stick with the stock cam. If it's a street rod then I'd go with the L-100. The 77b is almpst a stock grind and the Max#1 is a wast of thime. might just as well have the thrill of the L-100 and it's cheaper. IMHO
Ron,Why do you find it hard to believe someone would drive there flathead as a daily driver. I seriously drive my 37 to work(Honest Charley Garage) everyday, and it's had a knock for over 3 years.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote