Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
corvette8n

Default Roof mounted antenna, how to remove?

I have a roof mounted antenna on my '41 coupe, how do I remove it, it it's not the rotating type, but goes through the roof and attaches to dash. The only picture I could find was from C&G but it was very small and not detailed.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: Roof mounted antenna, how to remove?

Remove your rear view mirror. Look up and you will see a nut. Loosen the nut and the nut and some spacers will slide down the rod that goes into the radio. Remove the plastic nut that attaches to the radio on top of the dash. Now push up on the threaded sleeve where you took loose the top nut. That should push the antenna loose from the roof and you can pull it out. The piece that was attached to the radio will usually just fall loose from the dash. This is how you do a '40 and '41 should be the same. If the antenna has been on the roof for a long time it might be stuck to the paint and will take some effort to get it to come loose.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #3
corvette8n

Default Re: Roof mounted antenna, how to remove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Remove your rear view mirror. Look up and you will see a nut. Loosen the nut and the nut and some spacers will slide down the rod that goes into the radio. Remove the plastic nut that attaches to the radio on top of the dash. Now push up on the threaded sleeve where you took loose the top nut. That should push the antenna loose from the roof and you can pull it out. The piece that was attached to the radio will usually just fall loose from the dash. This is how you do a '40 and '41 should be the same. If the antenna has been on the roof for a long time it might be stuck to the paint and will take some effort to get it to come loose.
I did what you said, but was unable to pull it up out the hole in the roof, hardware was to big to fit, I put it back together for now.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote