Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
foxfire42

Default 67 Falcon power steering question

I had power steering installed on my Sport Coupe. Now the steering is a little too easy. Is there any way of making it just a bit tighter?

The steering box was not changed. Do I need to locate a different steering box or is there a less expensive fix?
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
ford3

Default Re: 67 Falcon power steering question

what power steering pump did you use, chevy pumps put out more pressure than fords, they make ford steering quick and tweachy
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
foxfire42

It's a Mustang power steering unit.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
ford3

you may have to install a valve that can cut down the pressure to the steering box
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
miker98038

Since you say a Mustang "unit", I'm going to assume its a ram style, not a rack conversion. If this is the case, I'm not sure how much you can lower the pressure before the valving quits working. Most complaints are from a Saginaw pump to an early Mustang R&P. I know, I've got one. Heights makes a bypass style valve, and some pumps can have the bypass spring changed, to reduce pressure. Whoever did the conversion should be able to address this, either fix it, or can't fix it. I'm also going to send a pm.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
tdlmomowers

Most Fords have a different gear box ratio, depending on whether they have power steering or manual steering. You may need to swap for a gear intended for a power steering car.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Motorhead6

Power steering calls for more caster. This will increase the "feel" in the steering wheel. Go to your favorite front-end alignment shop and tell them to add about 2 to 3 degrees to the Ford spec. If they have experience in this, they may recommend a different number; go with it.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlmomowers View Post
Most Fords have a different gear box ratio, depending on whether they have power steering or manual steering. You may need to swap for a gear intended for a power steering car.
Maybe in the '60's. I don't know. But all the '50's Fords with power steering used the exact same gearbox and internal parts as the cars with manual steering. In the '50's, Fords' Master-Guide Power steering was a completely external power assist and quite divorced from the gearbox itself.

However, Lincoln Motors (as early as 1952) did have an integral power steering much more advanced than the Ford.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
tdlmomowers

My 69 Ford Torino has the power assist steering with a control valve and assist cylinder attached to the steering center link. When I replaced my steering gear box, I did some research and found out that the cars with power assist steering used a 16 to 1 ratio box, where as the manual steering cars used a 20 to 1 ratio gear box.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
RooDog

FoxFire.
I had a 67 Fairlane, mechanically the same as your Falcon, in the same situation when I bought it. Someone had added the PS valve and ram assembly to the standard steering box. As previously mentioned, the box ratios are different so the wheel feel was way too easy. I got the correct PS box from a parts car and made things right with the correct 16:1 stearing gear. Now here's the kicker: The manual box has a long worm shaft, like all the way to the steering wheel, no rag joint and the column clamps to the box. The PS box just has a stub worm shaft splined to a rag coupler and the column and wheel, etc are attached to the dash and firewall. So to do a correct conversion you need everything from the steering wheel spline/nut to the pitman arm. On mine I installed the correct 16:1 box and then used a tilt column from a '67 Mustang for comfort and convienance. It's all quite simple and easy if you got enough pieces and parts....Best wishes.....RooDog
PS: Mine had a floor shift, if you have 3 on the tree, I don't know what to tell you .....
RooDog is offline   Reply With Quote