Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #21
JayChicago

Default Re: What Electric Pump do you recommend?

Joe’s Antiques stocks similar in-line pumps in both 6 and 12 volt, and low pressure for stock carburetors and higher pressure for hot rodded cars. They are not grounded thru the pump case, have a ground wire, so will work with either positive or negative ground cars. These are not a name brand pump, but Joe said they are good quality, he does not get customer complaints on them.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:44 PM   #22
FL&WVMIKE

If a person does not want to rely on an electric pump, but wants to have one in case their mechanical one goes out, or use it to prime the carb, supplement the old mechanical unit, etc... a check valve can be used!

A check valve only allows the fuel to travel in one direction. In the picture, it is situated to only allow the fuel to travel towards the engine. Therefore, when the electric pump is turned on, it doesn't just push the fuel back to the tank. When the electric pump is turned off, the mechanical pump can draw the fuel around the electric one. The bold areas where the lines split are simple tees. Clever, eh?

Google 'check valve gasoline' and you will find plenty. They're also cheap.

Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #23
tubman

It sounds like a good idea to me (I could never really get my mind around "flow through" electric pomps). However, why not put the filter between the tank and the first tee and get filtration on both circuits?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #24
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
It sounds like a good idea to me (I could never really get my mind around "flow through" electric pomps). However, why not put the filter between the tank and the first tee and get filtration on both circuits?
I'm assuming there is also a filter before the carburetor. The filter before the electric pump is to protect the pump from rust/debris from the tank that could lock it up.

I like the the above setup, as you don't have to count on the electric pump. The engine can run only on the mechanical one... and the mechanical one does not have to draw through the electric.

The electric is handy for priming the engine after it has sat, and as an instant cure for a mechanical fuel pump failure!
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #25
big job

My F8 fuel pump one of those duel vac and fuel took a dump. Those on the net you have to take a loan. Napa 6vt pos or neg grd. for like 30 bucks. silent I just left the dead
pump there and by passed fuel lines . Instant starts now oh its a 337V8. sam

Last edited by big job; 01-20-2020 at 11:11 AM.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote