Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
JCAllison

Default The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Hey All,
Sunday, June 16, 2019, Mid-Morning Update:

Decided that it was time to start using Ms. American as the Daily Driver since Lorrie Van Haul is at the BEGINNING of having everything that needs doing for her done, which will make her unable to be driven till the work is finished.

So wanted to start a NEW Ms. American Caper Thread to document her activities and performance just to keep track of what she does, and how she does it.

This morning, after burying Jake, the Black Cat, and taking a shower to clean up, got Ms. American to take me out and about. Strange thing... Forgot to use the Mustangs Etc. Manual Choke, and the 3.14 STARTED RIGHT UP!

Backed out of the Car Port, and off we went to the Conoco for $15.00 worth the Gas.

A lady named Michelle, walked up with her Cell Phone, and started taking pictures of Ms. American. Then she started asking questions. It wasn't long before I realized that I was being interviewed. Michelle turned out to be a reporter for one of the news papers in the area, and was gathering information for an article about Ms. American and me! Who woulda thunk? We talked for about 45 minutes, and then she had to go.

Got into Ms. American, and keyed the Starter. The 3.14 hesitated for a fraction of a second, then again, STARTED RIGHT UP.

We headed for the Circle K to get Milk. Parked, got out, and up pulled ANOTHER fellow, name Eugene Bean. He had see the Old Gal pull into the Circle K parking lot, had made a U-Turn, and parked right next to Ms. American. Got out, and asked if he could look the old Gal over. And of course HE COULD. He walked around her, then asked to see the 3.14. Opened the Hood, and he was suitably impressed.

I told him about Ms. American PI being a Police Interceptor. About her Solid Lifters. About her Cast Iron Shorty Headers. About her Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels. About her PerTronix HEI. About her PerTronix 60,000 Volt FlameThrower HC Ignition Coil. About her BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission. About her 4.11:1 Differential. About her Mustangs Etc. Manual Choke. About her Autolite 4100 C4AF 9510 DG Carburetor. About her Frantz Oil Cleaning System. Told him the story about how she came to be, and her history with my Father and Mother. And how she came to live with me. We talked for about 45 minutes. Then he said he had to go, and off he went.

Got the milk, and put it in Ms. American, got in, Keyed the Starter, and without hesitation, the 3.14 came to life, and home we came.

Am thinking that the old Gal is BACK! She is NOW the Daily Driver.

Am going to have to do some SPIFFING up of her. She needs her Windows carefully washed. Her Chrome carefully polished. Her Tires cleaned at the Car Wash. And her body carefully dusted. She always enjoys the attention that she gets, and seems to NOW be willing to be as reliable as she used to be.

Will keep you all updated here whenever we go out and about. And, of course, will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

Take care everyone.

JC
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige

Last edited by JCAllison; 06-16-2019 at 11:01 AM.
JCAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
JCAllison

Default Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Hey All,
Saturday, June 18, 2019, Morning Update:

REMARKABLE DEVELOPMENT:

Received a SPAM advertisement on Sunday, June 16. 2019 offering Auto Insurance for $19.00 a month!

My first reaction was: "OH SURE! This has GOT to be too good to be TRUE!" But just to check it out, I responded with my Zip Code, and Phone Number, using my "nom de plume" (that's the name that I use when writing books).

It wasn't more than a few minutes than the Phone Rang... A VERY nice lady named Valerie, explained that she was an "marketer" for a number of Insurance Companies, and that if I would permit it, she would connect me with an Agent who worked for a Big Name Insurance Company.

I consented to the offer just to see what they had to say.

A few minutes passed, while I listened to a rather nice Guitar, playing a rather "catchy" eight bars of music that repeated, over and over.

Then suddenly a very nice young man named Stanley came on the line, and said he was a Agent with the BIG NAME Insurance Company.

He wanted to know the Year, Make, and Model, of my car. I told him it was a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500. I also told him that I had a 1967 Dodge P200 Van.

Stanley inquired if I had had any tickets in the past five years? I had not.

Stanley inquired if I had ever been ticketed or arrested for DUI. I haven't.

Stanley inquired how much driving I did in each vehicle? I told him that they were driven maybe 25 miles a week between the two of them.

Stanley inquired about who all drove the vehicles? I told him I was the ONLY driver.

Stanley inquired about any accidents that were had in the past five years. There have been none.

Since he had the Zip Code here, he KNEW that I was in Onalaska, Texas. He allowed as to how he was in Fort Worth, Texas.

Stanley inquired what amount of insurance I was seeking. I told him that I needed only the Texas Required Minimum.

Actually, the only reason that I need insurance is to have "Proof of Insurance" in order to get Ms. American, and Lorrie Van Haul inspected&licensed.

Stanley asked if I would hold while he did some calculating, and I said I would.

In about five minutes, He came back on the line as said that he could get a year's insurance for BOTH vehicles for $264.00 a YEAR!!! That's $21.00 a MONTH... That's $.70 a day for each. Right now, I am paying $52.00 a month for EACH vehicle, a total of $104.00 a MONTH.

My question for Stanley was: "All right... What's the catch?" He said that "There was no catch."

I proceeded to question Stanley about the Insurance Company, and was given the Name of the Company, which turned out to be a subsidiary of ANOTHER even BIGGER NAME Insurance Company.

I also found out Stanley's Last Name, and his E-Mail Address.

I then told Stanley that I would like to think this over. He was quite accommodating, and made arrangement to call me back at 11:00 a.m. the next day.

I spent the rest of the day researching the Company's by name. I didn't use any link provided by Stanley (he provided none). I went DIRECTLY to the BIG NAME Company's Web Pages as provided by Google. These are NOT "FAKE" Websites. I accessed their Agents at the appropriate locations. And there was Stanley's Name, and Location. They were just as Stanley had said. This was NOT a SCAM.

Then yesterday, promptly at 11:00 a.m., the phone rang. It was Stanley. He wanted to know if I wanted to sign up for insurance with the BIG NAME Insurance Company that employs him.

I had a few more questions. One was: "Are the rates going to change unexpectedly." He said No. I asked if I could be sent the documentation about the policy before I signed up for it? He said "Most Certainly". He would send it shortly. He said read it over, and if it was what was represented, I could purchase the Policy On-Line. All that I would have to do is "electronically sign" in the appropriate places, then on their secure page, give them my Debit Card Number (like I do with eBay, Amazon, and a bunch of other vendors), and I would receive a Policy Number On-Line, plus in two to three days I would receive "Proof of Insurance" documentation in the mail, in the form of Credit Type Cards that would be recorded in the Texas State Data Base that the Inspection Stations, and Registration Offices access to prove that I DO have Insurance.

I could then, if I actually did purchase the policy, E-Mail Stanley, and he would call on the phone to see if there were any questions, or further information desired.

Well, the funds to make the transaction were in the Debit Card Account, to after carefully reading the On-Line Policy, a copy of which will be here in two to three days, along with the Proof of Insurance documents, so I signed up with them. The funds will be deducted from the Debit Card Account when I acknowledge that I have received what they promised to send.

What I am going to do, is when the stuff that they are sending arrives, I will take it to Wayne's Tires (the Local Inspection Station), and see if Toni, who last inspected Lorrie Van Haul, will verify on their computer that I do, indeed, have Insurance.

I will then cancel Ms. American's and Lorrie Van Haul's present insurance and will then stop paying the $104.00 a month premium. Since Stanley's Employer will have the whole year's premium paid in advance, there will be no more monthly deductions.

This is going to be a savings of $984.00 a year for Car Insurance! Not a bad deal at all! And the nice thing about it is that I won't be paying $104.00 a month starting next month. Also, am going to get a refund from the OLD insurance company since I already have a credit with them built up by my having paid the premiums for this year up to July 1, 2019.

So everything seems to be going along nicely.

Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
Old 06-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Talking Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

I think you need to service the '64, polish and shine and drive up to Albuquerque and do a little sparkin' with your lady ...

What were you doing so far from home anyway?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I think you need to service the '64, polish and shine and drive up to Albuquerque and do a little sparkin' with your lady ...
Hey Mr. K,
I'm nowhere near being in the same league.
Quote:
What were you doing so far from home anyway?
Are you sure I know that about which you are speaking? I haven't been more than a hundred miles from here in the past twenty years. That happen when I have to go to Houston once a year to see the Liver MDeities at the Baylor Liver Center.

Have to go to the Pharmacy tomorrow morning, and also to do some grocery shopping. Will be going in Ms. American, since Lorrie is not all together because of having her front Sheet Metal removed.

You been doing all right?

It's time for me to call it a day. Have taken my meds, and am heading for the couch.

Hope you are well.

JC
Old 06-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
ford4v429

Hey JC,
good deal on the insurance! i need to do some shopping too we added another car and our has maxed out on number of cars per policy... might see if the kids are old enough to go on their own policies now, as two of their cars are still on our policy...or might just move a couple to haggerty.
great to hear the starting issues are all good again, and curious especially about the news lady having interest- would be cool to see some press on this beloved old galaxie
I've gotta catch up on my reading when we get home to see where things stand on the steering caper(now backburnered till this caper completed) as havent been on the forums much for a while...on the old forklift project, talked to a few folks who suggested converting to hydrostatic and just ditching the box- already got a control valve and wheel, will need to chop off the column and add the valve, mount a cylinder where the old draglink resides(it had a slide valve power steering setup, but yrs ago our 'mechanic' apparently decided it would be easier to remove everything than repair leaks) hardest part will be retaining the stock column as all the controls are on the sides of the column...anyways, gonna try and save it to give to the local museum as a functional tool/prop for the old airplanes- they have a twin to it already, but its pretty rough, where this one-bad as it looks- is in great shape...just couldnt stand to see it go into a dumpster...
gotta run- vacation/visiting stuff to do- glad to see you are doing well- keep up the great work Tim
ford4v429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
JCAllison

Hey All,
Saturday, June 19, 2019, Mid-Morning Update:

Needed to pick up some Medications this morning, and since the Pharmacy is in the Grocery Store, decided to do the Shopping while out in Ms. American.

The old Gal started right up, and off we went. First to the Post Office, then on to the Pharmacy/Grocery Store.

There was a bit of hesitation when starting at the Post Office, but it was only momentarily. The start when leaving the Grocery Store was fine. Am thinking that the Cable from the Solenoid to the Starter need the Nut on the Starter tightened a bit. It's just difficult to reach, and little room to turn the Wrench.

But once on the road, Ms. American is so smooth, and when given a little throttle is willing to REALLY take off. Kind of startling when it happens, because of being used to Lorrie who just lumbers around compared.

Anyway, the old Gal seems to like being a Daily Driver/Grocery Getter again.

Getting out in the morning like we did today, kind of depletes the Energy&Focus, and then by the time that is replenished by resting afterwards, it has gotten too hot to be out. But have to just show some "class", and trundle onward through the fog.

Anyway, will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

Take care everyone.

JC
Old 06-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #7
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4v429 View Post
Hey JC, good deal on the insurance!
Hey Tim,
Was kind of surprised!
Quote:
I need to do some shopping too we added another car and our has maxed out on number of cars per policy.
You have how many vehicles?
Quote:
might see if the kids are old enough to go on their own policies now, as two of their cars are still on our policy. or might just move a couple to haggerty.
I remember back when I finally got my own car (the 1942 Mercury), and had to spring for my own insurance. Was doing striping on cars in the Ontario, California area. Was making a goodly amount, and insurance was inexpensive. Made one feel "grown-up" to finally start supporting one's self.
Quote:
Great to hear the starting issues are all good again,
Wish Ms. American would start with the enthusiasm that Lorrie has. There is a BRAND NEW Starter here on the Shelf, but am right on the line between being able to install it, and NOT being able to install it. Aging in NOT for sissies.
Quote:
and curious especially about the news lady having interest- would be cool to see some press on this beloved old galaxie
Actually, the old Gal is kind of a rolling press release all by herself. Gets noticed. Gets comments. Sometimes gets photographed. If she was a tan Toyota, no one would even notice.
Quote:
I've gotta catch up on my reading when we get home to see where things stand on the steering caper(now backburnered till this caper completed)
Lorrie's Steering Conversion is REALLY going to test my mettle. As Mel says: "Just dive in and see what happens."
Quote:
as havent been on the forums much for a while.
That happens.
Quote:
on the old forklift project, talked to a few folks who suggested converting to hydrostatic and just ditching the box- already got a control valve and wheel, will need to chop off the column and add the valve, mount a cylinder where the old draglink resides (it had a slide valve power steering setup, but yrs ago our 'mechanic' apparently decided it would be easier to remove everything than repair leaks)
Aha, another Steering Conversion Caper.
Quote:
hardest part will be retaining the stock column as all the controls are on the sides of the column.
You have gotten yourself into a pretty interesting project. Not very "glamorous", but interesting.
Quote:
anyways, gonna try and save it to give to the local museum as a functional tool/prop for the old airplanes- they have a twin to it already, but its pretty rough, where this one-bad as it looks- is in great shape...just couldnt stand to see it go into a dumpster.
But once it is functional, a little paint, time, and elbow grease, and it will be all spiffed up.
Quote:
gotta run- vacation/visiting stuff to do
Where in Colorado are you?
Quote:
glad to see you are doing well- keep up the great work Tim
The Front Sheet Metal Removal is well under way. Now if it just wasn't so HOT&HUMID, and if I was a little younger... Jeane called the other day, and we reminisced a bit. I first met her when she was less than TWO years old, and all she had on was a diaper. She's looking at 50 on the horizon. Found myself asking: "Where did the years go?" Everything seems like it was just yesterday!

Am going to have something to eat, see if the energy comes back up. Have some Aluminum Bar Stock that need to have Pop Rivet Holes drilled in it, and then need to use a Wire Brush Wheel in the Electric Drill to clean where the Aluminum Bar Stock goes. Will Drill a couple of Holes in Lorrie's Front Sheet Metal, and use the holes drilled in the Aluminum Bar Stock as a template for drilling the rest of the Pop Rivet Holes. Will then Pop Rivet the Aluminum Bar Stock down, then it will be on to the NEXT cut, and subsequent Pop Riveting.

Anyway, hope you have a GREAT time on vacation. You'll have to take some time when you get home to rest up!

Take care.

JC
Old 06-20-2019, 12:54 AM   #8
ford4v429

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAllison View Post
Hey Tim,
Was kind of surprised!

You have how many vehicles?

I remember back when I finally got my own car (the 1942 Mercury), and had to spring for my own insurance. Was doing striping on cars in the Ontario, California area. Was making a goodly amount, and insurance was inexpensive. Made one feel "grown-up" to finally start supporting one's self.
the boys each have one car on our policy but theyve worked and paid thier part from day one- they've been good about earning/saving...the other 7 put us one over, so likely will move a couple to haggerty
Quote:

Wish Ms. American would start with the enthusiasm that Lorrie has. There is a BRAND NEW Starter here on the Shelf, but am right on the line between being able to install it, and NOT being able to install it. Aging in NOT for sissies.
i remember the 429 gal required unbolting a motor mount/jacking the motor to remove- this will get long winded, but that 429's appetite for starters is kinda how i came to still have it all these decades later- 1978 or so, brother and i were in colorado visiting my real dad, the gal burnt up a starter and stepdad in ohio changed it by himself(usually I helped). Jim had a paralyzed left arm from a car wreck of all things while he was in the air force in Korea- anyways, he was tough- he got the darn thing in one handed somehow, but didnt see the cable was on the exhaust...he got halfway to work the next day when it had a underhood fire...wiring harness completely melted, belts/hoses were fried by time they got it put out. anyway when my brother and I got back to Ohio, mom said 'the bomb' (as we nicknamed it the day they bought it in 1972 or so), was going to be junked as it was not worth fixing...I talked her into letting me keep it if i could fix it- they gave me a month...got a dishwashing/bussing job at local chicken restaurant, bought some wire/tape/soldering iron/5 cent copies at the library from a 'motor' manual...made a new harness, painted the engine, had it running and looking good under the hood in a couple weeks...God I loved that car. it got put in the garage till I got my permit months later, by then it was accell wires, new brake linings, the mint interior was all spiffed up- was a beast of a great running car. got my license at 16, 3 weeks later wrecked it(but STILL have the 429)...Anyways, know what you mean about being on the fence- might need to find a neighborhood/parts store kid that could lend a hand or two sometimes? in any event, I'm sure youll remember to watch the wiring/exhaust- but ill post this reminder anyway

Quote:

Actually, the old Gal is kind of a rolling press release all by herself. Gets noticed. Gets comments. Sometimes gets photographed. If she was a tan Toyota, no one would even notice.
thats for sure
Quote:
Lorrie's Steering Conversion is REALLY going to test my mettle. As Mel says: "Just dive in and see what happens."

That happens.

Aha, another Steering Conversion Caper.

You have gotten yourself into a pretty interesting project. Not very "glamorous", but interesting.

But once it is functional, a little paint, time, and elbow grease, and it will be all spiffed up.

not glamorous to say the least...but hopefully can get it a new lease on life... silly, my junkyard forklift i did last year sat in the garage all winter, while the 06 mustang had to sit outside. hoping to put a lean-to up this year too...too many projects.
Quote:

Where in Colorado are you?
colorado springs/pueblo are closest big cities...the scenery here is just beautiful...Dads in a nursing home now(oddly now Mom and different stepdad live just a mile from nursing home Dad is in) and not well, but hanging in there...we try to get out at least once a year...taking Mom back home with us for a couple weeks to see old friends/relatives, then will fly here back here- good thing about the new truck, its got a boatload of room. never thought id have a aluminum truck, but gotta say, man did Ford make a nice vehicle...450(!!!) hp from its little v6 is a beast, every time I get on a on ramp the kids are tired of hearing me say 'I cant believe this is a six cylinder'

Quote:

The Front Sheet Metal Removal is well under way. Now if it just wasn't so HOT&HUMID, and if I was a little younger... Jeane called the other day, and we reminisced a bit. I first met her when she was less than TWO years old, and all she had on was a diaper. She's looking at 50 on the horizon. Found myself asking: "Where did the years go?" Everything seems like it was just yesterday!

Am going to have something to eat, see if the energy comes back up. Have some Aluminum Bar Stock that need to have Pop Rivet Holes drilled in it, and then need to use a Wire Brush Wheel in the Electric Drill to clean where the Aluminum Bar Stock goes. Will Drill a couple of Holes in Lorrie's Front Sheet Metal, and use the holes drilled in the Aluminum Bar Stock as a template for drilling the rest of the Pop Rivet Holes. Will then Pop Rivet the Aluminum Bar Stock down, then it will be on to the NEXT cut, and subsequent Pop Riveting.

Anyway, hope you have a GREAT time on vacation. You'll have to take some time when you get home to rest up!

Take care.

JC
I actually thought I saw a dodge postal jeep yesterday in Canon City, tried to turn around, wifes like 'what are you doing?' and I had to go...too much traffic...was def RHD, sliding side doors, but had a rollup rear door- was kinda cut up for a icecream truck- if I see it again will find out for sure what it is.
hoping can get to work when i get home- our town has record flooding, lots of roads closed- son at home said lots of detours, and theyre expecting 2 more inches of rain tomorrow... they had 5.5" in 2 days already...

past my bedtime- talk to you soon- tim
ford4v429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:51 AM   #9
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4v429 View Post
the boys each have one car on our policy but theyve worked and paid thier part from day one- they've been good about earning/saving...the other 7 put us one over, so likely will move a couple to haggerty
Hey Tim,
Your progeny seem to be doing just fine. You've done a good job of raising them, teaching them responsibility.
Quote:
i remember the 429 gal required unbolting a motor mount/jacking the motor to remove- this will get long winded, but that 429's appetite for starters is kinda how i came to still have it all these decades later- 1978 or so, brother and i were in colorado visiting my real dad, the gal burnt up a starter and stepdad in ohio changed it by himself(usually I helped). Jim had a paralyzed left arm from a car wreck of all things while he was in the air force in Korea- anyways, he was tough- he got the darn thing in one handed
AMAZING! Have added to the agenda here the moving of the Ramps out to the Car Port, and the next time that Ms. American is out and about, when we get home will put her front Tires up on the Ramps, and leave her to cool. Then next day, am going to see if the Nut on the Starter Stud where the Cable from the Solenoid is attached can be tightened. Think that THAT is what is causing the slight hesitation when starting HOT. Am kind of thinking that if a SHORT, proper sized Wrench is used that it might be that the NUT can be better tightened. Will just have to wait and see.
Quote:
somehow, but didnt see the cable was on the exhaust...he got halfway to work the next day when it had a underhood fire...wiring harness completely melted, belts/hoses were fried by time they got it put out.
Terrible thing to have happen.
Quote:
anyway when my brother and I got back to Ohio, mom said 'the bomb' (as we nicknamed it the day they bought it in 1972 or so), was going to be junked as it was not worth fixing...I talked her into letting me keep it if i could fix it- they gave me a month...got a dishwashing/bussing job at local chicken restaurant, bought some wire/tape/soldering iron/5 cent copies at the library from a 'motor' manual...made a new harness, painted the engine, had it running and looking good under the hood in a couple weeks.
Example of dogged perseverance if ever there was one.
Quote:
God I loved that car. it got put in the garage till I got my permit months later, by then it was accell wires, new brake linings, the mint interior was all spiffed up- was a beast of a great running car. got my license at 16, 3 weeks later wrecked it (but STILL have the 429).
Kind of disheartening, but at least part of it is still surviving.
Quote:
Anyways, know what you mean about being on the fence- might need to find a neighborhood/parts store kid that could lend a hand or two sometimes?
Well, there are no "neighborhood/parts stores, and don't know anyone who could help. If the Starter gets replaced, it will have to ME that will do it, and it will take some ingenuity to figure out HOW it can be done.
Quote:
in any event, I'm sure youll remember to watch the wiring/exhaust- but ill post this reminder anyway
The Starter Cable goes around BEHIND the Cast Iron Shorty Headers, the forward to the Starter Terminal. Am thinking that it MIGHT be reachable by using either a "short" wrench, or maybe it can be gotten to with a Ratchet, Extensions, and U-Joint Sockets. Again, will just have to wait and see.
Quote:
thats for sure
It's have to be a Lamborghini, or Ferrari next to the old Gal in order for her to get ignored, and even then, it might be a toss up.
Quote:
not glamorous to say the least...but hopefully can get it a new lease on life... silly, my junkyard forklift i did last year sat in the garage all winter, while the 06 mustang had to sit outside. hoping to put a lean-to up this year too...too many projects.
Know what you mean. BUT, it just takes doing EVERYTHING in baby steps. It's amazing how will doing that works.
Quote:
colorado springs/pueblo are closest big cities...the scenery here is just beautiful...Dads in a nursing home now(oddly now Mom and different stepdad live just a mile from nursing home Dad is in) and not well, but hanging in there...we try to get out at least once a year...taking Mom back home with us for a couple weeks to see old friends/relatives, then will fly here back here- good thing about the new truck, its got a boatload of room. never thought id have a aluminum truck, but gotta say, man did Ford make a nice vehicle...450(!!!) hp from its little v6 is a beast, every time I get on a on ramp the kids are tired of hearing me say 'I cant believe this is a six cylinder'
They've come a long way, haven't they. Still, one has to have all kinds of Computerized Equipment to work on one of them. They are obviously NOT like Lorrie's MIGHTY 225 Slant Six, or Ms. American's 3.14.
Quote:
I actually thought I saw a dodge postal jeep yesterday in Canon City, tried to turn around, wifes like 'what are you doing?' and I had to go...too much traffic...was def RHD, sliding side doors, but had a rollup rear door-
Lorrie has a Roll-Up Rear Door! Alas the Cable that attaches to the Coiled Spring Assist has broken. Rear Door is Heavy, and when it is opened, it is held open by a Bungee Strap!
Quote:
was kinda cut up for a icecream truck- if I see it again will find out for sure what it is.
Had a fellow some time ago ask to buy Lorrie. He said he'd turn her into an Ice Cream Truck.
Quote:
hoping can get to work when i get home- our town has record flooding, lots of roads closed- son at home said lots of detours, and theyre expecting 2 more inches of rain tomorrow... they had 5.5" in 2 days already.
GADS! The stuff like this seems to just happen time and time again.
Quote:
past my bedtime- talk to you soon- tim
All right. It's time to feed the felines here.

Anyway, be in touch. Hope you are well. Take care.

JC
Old 06-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #10
JCAllison

Hey All,
Saturday, June 21, 2019, Afternoon Update:

As a prelude to going out and about, the first thing to do was to wash Ms. American's windows, and to move the Ramps out to the Car Port. With those TWO things done, it was time to get out and about.

Ms. American started right up and away we went.

First Stop was at the Inspection Station to see if the Inspector would look up on his computer to see if the Policy Number supplied by the NEW Insurance Company was in the Texas Data Base. Alas, he couldn't do that. Don't know if he couldn't, or just wouldn't, but in either case, it didn't get done.

It was then to the SAYCO Hardware where was acquired a NEW Genesis Brand SawZall, TWO Metal Cutting Blades and THREE Drill Bits the right size to drill holes for the Pop Rivets on hand.

Then twas on to the Circle K for TWO Gallons of Milk.

Upon arriving home, the old Gal's Front End was put up on the Ramps, in preparation for a bit of work tomorrow when it's cool and the 3.14 isn't hot from running.

Some time back, Ms. American had trouble starting. That was remedied by tightening the Nut on the Starter where the Cable from the Solenoid is attached. Tightening that NUT helped by lessening the hesitation in starting, but was not able to tighten it as TIGHT as it SHOULD be because of the limited room in that area. There is the Engine Block on one side, the Cast Iron Shorty Headers on the other side, and the Nut is on top of the Starter.

After thinking about it for some time, the thought occurred that a LONG Wrench was being used, and that a SHORT Wrench would give more TURNING ROOM. So have found the proper size Wrench, but a SHORTER length. Am going to see tomorrow morning if we can TIGHTEN the Nut and maybe make the 3.14 START better.

In any case, the old Gal did fine this morning. We're back to working on Lorrie Van Haul, thanks to Ms. American transporting me around.

Anyway, will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

Take care everyone.

JC
Old 06-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Question Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Quote:

Hey All,

Saturday, June 21, 2019, Afternoon Update:
Did you make a stop at the peyote store in town ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 06-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #12
JCAllison

Quote:
Hey Mr. K,
No, no, no... If you'll look at all my posts, you'll notice that they are all Saturdays, except on Sunday. That's because I don't live on the same calendar as everyone else. I'm retired. It's an endless weekend.

Sunday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Sunday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Sunday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday! !

It's the trick I use to get stuff done. When I was growing up, Monday through Friday was having to do what the world expected me to do. Sunday was Church, and a day of rest. That left only Saturday to do what I wanted to do.

Well, NOW... Sunday is still a day of rest, but the rest of the days are spent doing what I WANT to do. I awaken, and if it's not Sunday, it MUST be a Saturday. Get to do what I WANT to do. Makes doing stuff easy peasy.

What I find remarkable is that it took all this time for anyone to notice THAT.

Anyway, are you doing all right?

Take care.

JC
Old 06-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #13
40cpe

Quote:
you'll notice that they are all Saturdays, except on Sunday.

JC
I like your perspective
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:01 AM   #14
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
I like your perspective
Hey Mr. 40C,
Remembering back to my youth, my parents used the way THEY were raised to raise my younger sister and me.

They were both raised in a little town in Wyoming. My Mother on a farm, owned by her father, a German immigrant, and my Father by a Swedish father, who was a "teamster" back when the term "teamster" meant having teams of work horses that pulled large Wagons hauling heavy stuff around.

From an early age, they were assigned "chores" to do. My mother had to milk cows, and work in crop fields. BTW, one of her more interesting chores was making moonshine for her father. Quite a complex process the way they did it.

My Father's chores included feeding HIS father's Clydesdale type horses morning and evening, and helping with the wagons, cleaning, and fixing stuff.

So my sister and I had to do stuff. Like wash the dishes after meals, and I had a particular specific thing of feeding the forty or so Chickens every morning before school, and every evening before supper.

But Saturdays were special. Of course the Chickens still needed feeding, but between then and the evening feeding, I was on my own. It had its own FEELING.

And here I am at the age of 80, retired, have an adequate income for which I have to do nothing. There are still chores to do to maintain myself, the vehicles, the house, the landscaping, but instead of feeding Chickens, I have to feed my four felines, morning and evening.

But every morning, I get up, and it FEELS like I remember Saturday feeling.

Am in a period of life known as my "Halcyon Days". I can do whatever I damn please, but find that I've developed a routine, that is gone through by the time it is light enough out to see, and that starts the day with enough momentum that doing whatever is going to be done that day just seems to flow.

Of course the seasons, and the daily weather play a large part, but the range of stuff that can be done compensates for and kind of determines WHAT actually gets done.

How long this kind of existence can continue is anyone's guess. Aging is NOT for sissies, and it's a matter of resisting the urge to let the old Rocking Chair get me.

Have found that the Energy&Focus necessary to do stuff is slowly diminishing, but the awareness of what is being done has taken on the characteristic of "working smarter". Wasting little energy, by planning out the tasks in detail.

There is still the factor of deciding WHAT to do, and the order in which to do it. And there are still little unexpected things that crop up, and occasionally there is a serious situation with which to deal, but all in all, am able to handle things without falling into despair, or becoming discouraged.

I make detailed lists of thing to do, dividing the tasks into doable sessions, and then mark off the things done if, when, and as they get done.

Today, am going to see if I can tighten the Nut on the Starter Terminal where the Cable from the Solenoid Connects to Ms. American's Starter. That should take less than an hour, and then will come the beginning of Pop Riveting Aluminum Bar Stock to Lorrie Van Haul's Front Sheet Metal which is in the process of being made removable.

That process is going to involve the use of a NEW SawZall Tool. Don't know how it is going to go since this is NEW to me, and we'll just have to see how it goes.

Of course the stuff that is on-topic here will be reported, and the stuff that is off-topic here will be reported where it is on-topic (which happens to be over at RamChargerCentral).

BTW, the vehicles in your Avatar are a couple of my favorites. Have owned a 1942 Mercury, and when I was in high school, the twin sons of the guy who produced the McCoy Model Air Plane Engines each got a 1955 Ford Crown Victoria (One was Lavender&White, and the other was PowderBlue&White). They were GORGEOUS. I was, at the time, the local car striper, and did some striping on the McCoy Brothers' Fords.

Anyway, hope this finds YOU doing well. Thanks for the response.

JC
Old 06-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #15
KULTULZ

Red face Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Quote:

Quote:

No, no, no... If you'll look at all my posts, you'll notice that they are all Saturdays, except on Sunday. That's because I don't live on the same calendar as everyone else. I'm retired. It's an endless weekend.
...hmmpf ...

I stand corrected. I never thought of it as that. Good idea though ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #16
JCAllison

Quote:
...hmmpf ... I stand corrected.
Hey Mr. K,
You didn't need correcting. You were RIGHT. It's just that you weren't taking into account the nut behind the steering wheel!
Quote:
I never thought of it as that. Good idea though ...
Life sometimes takes all kinds of things to keep it interesting and livable. Everyone has a few tricks they use to KOKO (Keep On Keeping ON).

BTW, in case you haven't read the OTHER Caper Thread, Ms. American is no longer hesitant to start! The account of how THAT was accomplished is in this morning's Update over there.

The local Subway, huh? (tsk tsk tsk)!

JC
Old 06-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #17
JCAllison

Hey All,
Saturday, June 26, 2019, Early-Afternoon Update:

Had to get out today for Water, and Vittles.

Got all ready to go, and keyed Ms. American's Starter, and got NOTHING!

Volt Meter read ZERO!

BATTERY appeared to be COMPLETELY DEAD!

Not even any Courtesy Lights.

Remember some time ago, the old Gal's Battery would drain down overnight?

It was because of THAT that a Quick Disconnect Switch was acquired, and installed, and then after being driven, the QDS would be disconnected.

Well, some time back, right after the Mustangs Etc. Manual Choke was installed, I forgot to disconnect the QDS. And the next time the 3.14 was started was a couple of days later, and the 3.14 started right up!

So this was attributed to the Electric Choke somehow draining the Battery. But since the Electric Choke was gone, the Battery didn't drain over night. Was delighted to have that happen, and so I had stopped disconnectng the QDS, and all was fine.

Then this morning, the Battery appeared to have again drained.

DRATS!

So, got the Extension Cord, and the Battery Charger, and was about ready to hook everything up to charge the Battery, when just on a whim, I disconnected the QDS, and then reconnected it.

Checked the Courtesy Lights, and they were BRIGHT!

Checked the Volt Meter, and it said slightly MORE then 12 Volts.

Keyed the Starter, and the 3.14 LIT RIGHT UP!

Somehow, the QDS had lost connection. OR... Ms. American was just messing with me.

But since there is really no reason to have the QDS on the Negative Pole of the Battery any more, am going to take it off. It MIGHT be causing some resistance in the Electrical.

Anyway, off we went to the Post Office.

Was just getting out of the old Gal when a fellow named Clayton Lorenz pulled up in his Pickup Truck, and was quite taken with Ms. American. Wanted to know if he could take some pictures of the old Gal.

While he was busy taking pictures with his cell phone, another fellow came up and started asking questions. What year? What engine?

Clayton finished taking pictures, and wanted to see the 3.14.

Opened the Hood, and he took some pictures of it.

The second fellow's wife came out of the Post Office, and the four of us talked for a good half hour about Ms. American. I told them about Lorrie Van Haul.

Clayton wanted my E-Mail address, and said he was going to post something somewhere in the Internet, and that he would alert me to where when he was finished.

So we all eventually went our way, and I headed for the Grocery Store.

Was going into the Store, when Clayton was just coming out.

I went in, and was going down the Bread Aisle, and a fellow was stocking the Shelves, and I asked how he was doing, and he said: "A guy was just in here and told me about YOU and your car!"

I stopped and asked: "How do you know that he was talking about ME?" He said: "You're the ONLY guy with the White Beard, Black Hat, and an old Ford Galaxie!"

Am waiting to hear from Clayton Lorenz. Will let you know what and where to find what he has written about Ms. PI, and ME.

Ms. American performed FLAWLESSLY while out today, and other than the little joke she played on me to start with, she seems to be fine.

On another note, Lorrie Van Haul's Sheet Metal Center Section has been removed. So THAT Caper is going well.

Anyway, hope you all are taking excellent care.

JC
Old 06-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #18
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Quote:

Got all ready to go, and keyed Ms. American's Starter, and got NOTHING!

Volt Meter read ZERO!

BATTERY appeared to be COMPLETELY DEAD!

Not even any Courtesy Lights.

JC
JC,

She is a lady and deserves to be treated as such. She needs constant attention, loving and care. Clean her BATT TERMIALS on a frequent basis.

Don't let me hear of inattention or abuse.

... damn, I want that car ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #19
JCAllison

Quote:
JC, She is a lady and deserves to be treated as such. She needs constant attention, loving and care. Clean her BATT TERMINALS on a frequent basis.
Hey Mr. K,
The problem was in the Quick Disconnect Switch. Am thinking of taking it off since it is no longer needed to keep the Battery from draining, now that the Electric Choke has been deep sixed.
Quote:
Don't let me hear of inattention or abuse.
She is treated as well as I know how to treat her.
Quote:
damn, I want that car
Don't know what to tell you.

Anyway, awakened just before midnight sicker than a dog. Fever (101.4), Stomach Ache (with all that goes with THAT), Vomiting, Sore all over.

Chills, and Fever got up to 101.8, but is down to 101.2 now. Don't know what caused this. The last time that anything like this happened it was a burst Appendix! That's gone, so it isn't THAT. But this is VERY uncomfortable. Am in hunkered down mode, and feeling better than last night.

Weather is cool.

The Instructions from the Liver MDeities are: If the fever rises to 103, to head for the Emergency Room. Am monitoring it carefully.

Anyway, will be in touch. Or maybe NOT!

Take care.

JC
Old 06-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #20
40cpe

Maybe it is just a bug. Hope you feel better soon.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote