Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: Do I really have to find a spring spreader?

I picked up a good spreader on the ebay site for around 75. Great investment as i see it. Always there if i need it and i believe it will retain value. I guess There is a hundred ways to skin a cat... As they say, never tried.

The main problem with using a jack is the down force. I did the front end on my 38 years ago and had to use 4-5 bags of concrete to act as the engine weight because the engine was on a bench. Same as trying to install a rear spring. No down force, you just lift the car up.

Dicks post is interesting and informative. Probably the best way outside a spreader.

It can be done without a good spreader but a good spreader makes it so easy. Bar a reverse eye spring then its a whole new animal.

Whatever gets the job done and you feel safe. My 2 cents.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-09-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Ipad typing fixes
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #22
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Col View Post
...here's a little snippet that "Pete" posted yesterday in another thread on disc brakes...

"More will spend a lot of time trying to convince you that you should do it their way. Most of the info these people offer is usually useless."

....most of the above replies go a long way towards proving Pete's point ( except for Kube)....get yourself a decent spring spreader if you value your limbs. There is an astounding amount of stored energy in a back spring , don't make the mistake of taking poor advice and then finding out the hard way that,yes,you do need one!

Got to disagree. I've used Dick's and others' suggestion many times without incident. You don't absolutely need a spring spreader for what he is trying to do.

I'll add one more step to the C clamp method. I also use small squares of 2X4 between the clamps and the spring. Seems to spread the force around a little more.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #23
funrunr

[QUOTE=Straightpipes;820009]I've got a homemade spreader ( built as Dick describes) that gets passed around locally. Actually, we have lost track who really owns it but it lives in the corner of my shop....

Straightpipes, can you post a pic of your homemade spreader. I will be rebuilding my axle this spring or summer if the cold weather ever ends.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #24
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heard View Post
Well...while I might agree with you...you are going to have to tell me how long that should be, cause I've never seen this particular spring uncompressed.
That's where the drill rod or round stock comes in. Your center bolt is too short to help with dissassembly and then if you get a long center bolt to aid in reassembly you will only be cutting it down afterward anyway.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #25
ford3

thats what the c clamps are for, remove the center bolt nut and let the spring decompress by loosing the c clamps
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #26
mercman from oz

Don't even consider removing this Spring without a Spreader.
If it is dodgy using Clamps on a regular spring, try spreading a 32 - 34 Ford Rear Spring, which curve, without a proper Spring Spreader.
In my Home Garage, I have this Australian made Litchfield Ford Spring Spreader, which was made in Adelaide probably 50 years ago. It comes with different size Tubes for the various applications. Take a look at the Chart (or what is left of it) & it lists what Pieces are required for that particular application, listing the various Years of Vehicles and whether it is a Front or Read Spring that you are working on.
It is a very valuable Tool for the Early Ford V8 Home Mechanic. It does not have a Ratchet, but you just slide the Handle sideways and move to the next position. The adjacent Split Ring prevents the Handle from slipping off.
This is an invaluable tool & makes Spring removal safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3835.jpg (80.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3836.jpg (76.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3838.jpg (61.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3839.jpg (65.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3840.jpg (65.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3844.jpg (90.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3845.jpg (92.2 KB, 71 views)
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:17 AM   #27
elwood

i use my port-a-power
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:34 AM   #28
Marv

Talking Re: Do I really have to find a spring spreader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heard View Post
Marv, you cracked me up with that. I'm not sure what to say.
Heard it was not quite as bad as it sounded. I welded a piece of pipe on the end of the jack and cut a rounded recess in the pipe to match the spring and used the part that went under the bumper on the other end of the spring with pipe welded the same way on it.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #29
BILL WZOREK

Bud
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-A...b003b0&vxp=mtr[/QUOTE]

I can tell you @ $129.90 FREE shipping included That Guy ain't Getting rich off of that tool !!!!!!!
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #30
V8COOPMAN

Two well-meaning folks in this thread have referenced this particular spring spreader on fleaBay. If I was Heard and bought that spreader based on that advice and reference, I'd probably be pissed when it showed-up and tried to use it on a '36 rear spring. Do you guys realize why it's labeled for MODELS "A" & "T"? Do you realize why it's shaped with that arch in it's middle? HINT: "A"s and "T"s have that high-arched spring DIRECTLY over the rear end. That high arch ain't gonna clear the low arch of a '36 spring. Plus, the threads on those 1/2" adjuster bolts ain't gonna last very many spreadings. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #31
Andy

I have a big a$$ American made C clamp. I clamp the spring next to the center bolt and remove the center bolt and replace it with the all thread. The all thread is just a allignment tool as all the load is always taken by the C clamp. I back off the all thread a little and then the C clamp and then repeat. The all thread is just to make sure the leaves don't shift and have the clamp move. I have never seen any movement. The all thred is needed when re- assembling to keep the holes lined up
I have a portapower and also a spreader made from pipe. I prefer the C clamp if I am taking the spring apart. I remove the shackles while the spring is still under the car if just removing the complete spring. It is allways nice to take the spring apart to inspect, clean, and lube.
I have cut the shackles with a torch to remove springs. It is impresive how hard they jump when released.

Last edited by Andy; 02-09-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #32
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Two well-meaning folks in this thread have referenced this particular spring spreader on fleaBay. If I was Heard and bought that spreader based on that advice and reference, I'd probably be pissed when it showed-up and tried to use it on a '36 rear spring. Do you guys realize why it's labeled for MODELS "A" & "T"? Do you realize why it's shaped with that arch in it's middle? HINT: "A"s and "T"s have that high-arched spring DIRECTLY over the rear end. That high arch ain't gonna clear the low arch of a '36 spring. Plus, the threads on those 1/2" adjuster bolts ain't gonna last very many spreadings. DD
I guess I am the 2nd of the TWO WELL-MEANING FOLKS I don't think Bud Or my self said to go get this one it is the cats meow and end all of all spring spreaders Bud merely said that there was one there / maybe so Heard could see one type & may give him Ideas of how he may want to make one.
My point was that for that price it entails Quit a bit of work to make.

Your point that one has to be aware that a spreader for a model A / T because of the high arch may not work on his applacation and was a good point to make.
I am sure that a lot of us never gave that a thought.

In a dream world we would all have a complete set of KRW tools sitting in our shop.

No matter how He or any one attempts to acomplish this or any other job
remember SAFETY 1st and keep in mind IT IS ONLY A HOBBIE { that 1's for you Heard }
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #33
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

You could be right on. But the ad says also for Early V-8 even though it does look like an after thought. I do not clearly understand about the arch being too high on the spreader. Why couldn't the arch be placed in any position to spread the spring or am I missing something?

Ford Model A T Rear End Leaf Spring Spreader Early V8
Old 02-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #34
Joe AZ

I guess I need some enlightenment here......guess I don't understand how referenced spreader would not work on Heard's '36 spring?
Now a straight spreader on a Model A axle would be the real problem....
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
I guess I am the 2nd of the TWO WELL-MEANING FOLKS I don't think Bud Or my self said to go get this one it is the cats meow and end all of all spring spreaders Bud merely said that there was one there / maybe so Heard could see one type & may give him Ideas of how he may want to make one.
My point was that for that price it entails Quit a bit of work to make.

Your point that one has to be aware that a spreader for a model A / T because of the high arch may not work on his applacation and was a good point to make.
I am sure that a lot of us never gave that a thought.

In a dream world we would all have a complete set of KRW tools sitting in our shop.

No matter how He or any one attempts to acomplish this or any other job
remember SAFETY 1st and keep in mind IT IS ONLY A HOBBIE { that 1's for you Heard }
Joe AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #35
19Fordy

Heard, Please take plenty of photos and informative detailed notes on the steps for dismantalling your rear and installing the 3:54 so others can learn "how to". Thanks.

Oh, Here's an idea for a spring spreader that worked for me. What you see in the photo is about 38 inches long. I am sure you could find a smaller turn buckle that would work. I cut and re-welded the turn buckle to make it longer.

IDEA.If you are near enough to me in FL come over and you can borrow it. I am in Coral Springs, Fl just off the turnpike. I made it to remove my rear 1940 Ford spring 40 years ago. It works and that 1 1/2 in. dia . steel rod does not flex. Neither does the turn buckle. It must weigh about 8 pounds.
http://turnpikeinfo.com/florida/gps/...=south&mile=71
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3324 (Small).jpg (40.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3325 (Small).jpg (44.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3326 (Small).jpg (41.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3328 (Small).jpg (39.8 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-09-2014 at 12:20 PM. Reason: If you are near enough to me in FL come over and borrow it. I am in Coral
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #36
Bubsyouruncle

Idle question. Is it possible to rotate the spring leaves around the center bolt if you have backed off the nut a turn or two? Wouldn't that relieve the spring pressure if the leaves weren't stacked on top of each other?
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #37
Fordors

No Bub, the amount of arch built into the spring will not allow that and it is multiplied by the number of leaves. It is the arch that makes the spring do what it does.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #38
ford38v8

Oh, Here's an idea for a spring spreader that worked for me. What you see in the photo is about 38 inches long. I am sure you could find a smaller turn buckle that would work. I cut and re-welded the turn buckle to make it longer....

19Fordy, i'd say you got very lucky with that one. I can't think of a worse idea for a home made spreader than a turn buckle. Turn buckles are not intended for pushing, and are very liable to BUCKLE under that pressure.

The relative safety of any tool is dependent on the user. Experience and common horse sense instills caution and care in most of us, with the possible exception of those sporting physical evidence of multiple accidents. A spring spreader accident can happen with the best of spreaders if the user fails to engage his brain before his brawn.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #39
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Oh, Here's an idea for a spring spreader that worked for me. What you see in the photo is about 38 inches long. I am sure you could find a smaller turn buckle that would work. I cut and re-welded the turn buckle to make it longer....

19Fordy, i'd say you got very lucky with that one. I can't think of a worse idea for a home made spreader than a turn buckle. Turn buckles are not intended for pushing, and are very liable to BUCKLE under that pressure.

The relative safety of any tool is dependent on the user. Experience and common horse sense instills caution and care in most of us, with the possible exception of those sporting physical evidence of multiple accidents. A spring spreader accident can happen with the best of spreaders if the user fails to engage his brain before his brawn.
I am not a turnbuckle expert, but if you could see the size of this turn buckle and it's components, I think you would agree it's safe to use.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #40
ford38v8

No, never. I repeat, there can't be a worse idea for a spreader.