Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
V12Bill

Default Serial Number

Where is the serial number stamped on the frame of a 1950 F1 pickup? I checked on google and the answer was it is not. Only the glove box plate that is screwed on and a plate on the engine side of the firewall that is attached with drive nails. Is that a legal plate for state ID? I thought that all Ford products had a number on the frame. I cleaned the left frame rail in the engine compartment down to bare metal and see nothing. Thanks for any light yu can shed on this for me.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Serial Number

Per VanPelt site:

On 1949 cars had a metal tag riveted to the firewall on the right (passenger side) side, very close to the right hood hinge. The serial number was also stamped into the right-front frame rail, just back of the radiator support. On 1950 cars the number was stamped on the dash panel (firewall) under the hood, just below the cowl, in fairly large digits. Also, in some assembly plants, the 49 style VIN tag was also riveted in the same as the 1949 cars. In 1951 the number was stamped in a plate which was mounted on the dash panel (firewall) under the hood. For 1952 and 53 models the number was on a plate mounted on the right front door pillar post (below the upper hinge opening). The 1954 through '59 models (except '55 T-Bird) had the number on a plate on the left front door pillar post.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
mtflat

Most are stamped on the top frame rail, passenger side US near the motormount x-member. Lightly stamped, you might have to scrub that area with steel wool and shine a light at a shallow angle to get it to show.

A very few claim to find the stamp on the opposite side, same location.

It should be something like *98RC 123456* or *98HC 123456*

The were stamped with the same number on the firewall data tag on the passenger side (V8) and on the rating plate attached to the glovebox door.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #4
FlatV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
Where is the serial number stamped on the frame of a 1950 F1 pickup? I checked on google and the answer was it is not. Only the glove box plate that is screwed on and a plate on the engine side of the firewall that is attached with drive nails. Is that a legal plate for state ID? I thought that all Ford products had a number on the frame. I cleaned the left frame rail in the engine compartment down to bare metal and see nothing. Thanks for any light yu can shed on this for me.
On the few 1951 and 1952 F1s that I have examined, besides the plate on the glove box door, every one had the serial number stamped on the top of the frame, passenger side, beginning a few inches to a foot back of the front cross member. Haven't had the opportunity to look for the serial number on earlier F1s, but that is where I would start. In most cases they were quite faint, but with a little scrubbing with a vinyl scrub pad and some soap and water they became readable.
FlatV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
TJ

I used to verify serial numbers for guys on a variety of old Fords. As others have noted on the F-1, it is found on top of the right frame rail back from the from the front cross member about 8-10 inches.
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote