Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
Stokes

Default Putting Spark Plug Wires into Looms

Guys- Putting in new Color Coded spark plug wires-How is the best way to feed them in to the wire looms -all together or one at a time? Also on the left side where the Gen cut out and coil wire go through how is the best way to feed that bundle? Also the brass clips that go on the end of each wire-How is the best way to attach them and should I feed the wires through the looms before I put them on-Thanks Dan
Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Ken Bull

Default Re: Putting Spark Plug Wires into Looms

Feeding them one at a time before any ends are INSTALLED WORKED FOR ME. The hardest part of the job for me was putting the ends on,sodering them and getting them in the Dist. caps and mounted on Dist. I think I feed the Gen. wire 1st.
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Lawrie

I put the distributor ends into the terminal plates first, then feed them in after unsoldering the plug end terminals,I then cut the wires to length to suit the spark plugs and re solder the plug end terminals on.
I was easier to get them all laying nice in the terming plates and caps.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
Jack E/NJ

And use electrical wire conduit lube from Home Depot or Lowes.

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
39topless

When soldering the brass ends to the wires, use a propane torch for good heat and be sure to protect the wires from getting burned.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:15 AM   #6
hombres ruin

Hi guys do you have to solder the brass ends to the wires?
Old 01-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #7
adileo

It's best to do but no you don't have to.
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #8
flatheadmurre

I prefer a heavy old style heated soldering iron over an open flame.
Plenty of heat and not having to worry over melting and burning stuff.
And start att distributor to get a nice and even lenght at the plugs.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #9
Brendan

when i put my wires on , the motor was on a stand. i pulled them through the conduit with pull string. put the wires on the plug end first then cut to fit the cap. i would think putting new wires on a motor while its in the car would be a pain in the butt

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #10
1939 pickup truck

Howdy, I just did this yesterday afternoon, simple and easy, but my motor is out.
All four wires slide throught the metal conduit tubing with room to spare, smoothly.
I placed them in from the plug ends twards the distributor and afixed to plugs, then
pulled or pushed to get a realy nice arc curve on the wires you can see. Looking at
color code placement on the left and right, cut the distributor ends to land by lenght
as they make the turn... crimp on the brass terminals and solder with a pin tip torch.
You will be able to do the same, even with your engine in, just pull them out of tubing
do your skilled work, and slide em back in, using a small pair of needle nose pliers
to fish the spark plug ends back out from the holes. I chose to add pubber end covers.
1939 pickup truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #11
hombres ruin

What is the exact reason for soldering the ends? Is it just to affix them to the wire? I did this yesterday with my 41 . I got the wires from the brillman company and there were two that were to short. So I re ordered the ones that were short. I have the stick distributor and I placed the wires ,color coded into the correct numbered fittings for the left side and the right, according to vanpelt website and the 41 manual. My question is once the plug ends are in the numbered inputs on the terminal plate does the terminal plate need to seat in accordance with the diagrams from vanpelt . Eg on the right side number one and three wire are sitting when placed in the distributor in the top two ports and four and two in the bottom ports. Or can they go in anyway as long as they are in the correct numbered ports. This is my first 41 distributor and it's all new to me. Thanks
Old 01-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombres ruin View Post
What is the exact reason for soldering the ends? Is it just to affix them to the wire? I did this yesterday with my 41 . I got the wires from the brillman company and there were two that were to short. So I re ordered the ones that were short. I have the stick distributor and I placed the wires ,color coded into the correct numbered fittings for the left side and the right, according to vanpelt website and the 41 manual. My question is once the plug ends are in the numbered inputs on the terminal plate does the terminal plate need to seat in accordance with the diagrams from vanpelt . Eg on the right side number one and three wire are sitting when placed in the distributor in the top two ports and four and two in the bottom ports. Or can they go in anyway as long as they are in the correct numbered ports. This is my first 41 distributor and it's all new to me. Thanks
I'm not totally sure I am following what your question/situation is, but if I have it correct, aren't they keyed so they will only go in one way? The terminals that the wires connect to have to be in the correct location so that the rotor is in line with the proper terminal in the correct sequence as it rotates. That should be about as clear as mud! But the simple answer is each wire has to connect to the correct terminal in the correct location.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #13
Jack E/NJ

They're notched so only fit one way into the helmet.

Some folks seem to feel better if the ends are soldered. Anyway, I use resistor wire that can't be soldered. I also use black rubber heater hose made to look like the original metal looms cuz I don't just like the idea of stuffing high tension lines into a grounded metal tube. If you don't look real close or not real picky, ya really can't tell the wires and looms are not metal. 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
They're notched so only fit one way into the helmet.

Some folks seem to feel better if the ends are soldered. Anyway, I use resistor wire that can't be soldered. I also use black rubber heater hose made to look like the original metal looms cuz I don't just like the idea of stuffing high tension lines into a grounded metal tube. If you don't look real close or not real picky, ya really can't tell the wires and looms are not metal. 8^)

Jack E/NJ
Any photos of what your engine (hose wire looms) look like? The electrical storm you see under the hood at night on a lot of cars makes you wonder how the metal wire looms don't short out the spark. Lower peek voltage I would assume compaired to more modern engines.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #15
MGG

I have done this several times on my 34. I remove the tubes with wires completely from the engine (2 intake manifold bolts and a wire bail down at the distributor). It is a lot easier job on the bench than on the truck. Next, I carefully slip the tube, rubber boot, and outer cap off of the wires while the wires are still plugged into the inner cap. Next I unplug the longest old wire only, from the inner cap, plug the longest new wire in and thread it through the outer cap, boot, and tube. I do this one wire at a time from the longest first to the shortest last. This way I do not have to worry about getting them plugged into the wrong terminal in the inner cap. I use a small steel wire to help pull as I push and pull them through the tube. Although not original, I use the end clips which come straight off of the plug, not the 90 degree bend ones. The straight ones thread through the tube easier, have holes to hook my fishing wire to, and they hold the wires up away from the engine heat. I also make up my own wires to the proper length ahead of time. I have had a bad experience with some of the new repo wire sets which come with a glossy coating which cracks with the slightest bend. They have to make a pretty tight bend in the outer caps.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote