Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
Mike Peters

Default 160-A Standard Fordor?

I am looking for verification. I hauled this slant window Fordor home last Wed. and looking though DeAngelis "The Ford Model A", the car appears to be a 1931 Standard Fordor. 160-A. No cowl lights. There is no original interior upholstery left, so can't go by that. This car sat for many years as an unfinished project. Paint looks to be Ford Maroon, which would not be correct for the 160-A.
So, if it's a three window S/W Fordor with no cowl lights, does that make it a 160-A Standard Fordor?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-P1150943.jpg (52.4 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 2-P1150946.jpg (57.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 3-P1150944.jpg (51.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 4-P1150945.jpg (49.3 KB, 116 views)
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
duke36

Default Re: 160-A Standard Fordor?

If the interior dome light is in the headliner center of the cabin, not over the rear window, usually a std 4 door. The rear bumper is not stock , so the color and bumper may indicate restoration was done per personal preference.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
160B

When Ford built the 31 Slant Window, he had Murray and Briggs build the bodies the same so parts were interchangeable. So all slant windows, Murray and Briggs, have the curved top on the side window openings.

There are some telltale differences such as Briggs used d-nuts on the fire wall and Murray used caged nuts on the firewall. The locations on the firewall are where the speedometer cable clip attaches on the passenger inside, and where the clip for the wire loom from the generator attaches on the driver side near the terminal box.

Also Briggs had a manufactures mark, the Briggs “Bug" on the LH and RH lower cowl between the cowl band and the cowl lacing an inch or two above the splash apron and on some production parts. See the attached photo showing the “Bug’ on the RF cowl.

The 160A. The Ford Standard Fordor Sedan had scrolled door and window handles, painted molding around the windows and painted front dash; the round dome light was centered in the car with a switch on the light and a rubber mat in the driver's compartment.

The 160B. The Ford Town Sedan had a pull rope on the back of the front seat, simple non scrolled door and window handles, wood grained molding (with a scalloped lower frame ) wood grained front dash, the oval dome light was over the back window and was controlled by a sliding switch on the door post, cowl lights and carpet.

The 160C. The Ford Deluxe Fordor Sedan - Same as the 160B but no rear quarter window, referred to as a blind back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010924 cropped(3).jpg (23.8 KB, 61 views)

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #4
Oldbluoval

That body has no cowl lites as I can tell on the iPhone
That’s one difference in std and dlx.
Other than that the interior pieces, trim out and finishes as noted above are major differences
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
Mike Peters

I found the Briggs "bug" on lower cowl where 160-B said it would be. So Briggs body. Headliner was replaced without any dome light at all, but by "feeling" the roof I found a round dome light cut out in the center of the car. Nothing in rear. So it is a 160-A. Thanks guys for the info! I'm a newbie to the 31's. Especially fordors. If anyone has an interior kit to sell for a 160-A, I'm interested.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #6
PalAl

Mike, congratulations on your new baby.
When will the "Car Barn" be full.....LOL
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:41 AM   #7
Mike Peters

Al: In nearly 40 years of Model A's, this is my first 31. It has an indented firewall, another unique plus. It also has hydraulic brakes out of a 40 Ford, or something. 12" drums. If I can get them to work, it will stop great. Otherwise, back to mechanical brakes. This is no show car by any stretch, just a fun driver, so keeping an open mind. BTW, it hasn't been run in many years, but engine internals should be clean. Will check that before starting the hibernating engine. Always room for one more?
Old 09-13-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

The full rear bumper was an option. My 31 deluxe tudor had one, along with dual side mounts.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #9
aford193031

Congratulations on a nice looking car and welcome to the barn
aford193031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #10
McMimmcs

Looks like you found yourself a good one ! Congratulations!

Last edited by McMimmcs; 09-21-2020 at 08:54 AM.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:38 PM   #11
Oldbluoval

A slant sedan is the best model a built. I like a steel back Vic (not a leatherback!!) but too much wood in both model of Vic’s
Slant is Almost all steel and all the refinements of 4 years of production
Henry was on his game when he got to 31
Look what came thereafter!!

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 09-13-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:30 PM   #12
Hitman

I like the ramp truck!
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:48 PM   #13
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Al: In nearly 40 years of Model A's, this is my first 31. It has an indented firewall, another unique plus. It also has hydraulic brakes out of a 40 Ford, or something. 12" drums. If I can get them to work, it will stop great. Otherwise, back to mechanical brakes. This is no show car by any stretch, just a fun driver, so keeping an open mind. BTW, it hasn't been run in many years, but engine internals should be clean. Will check that before starting the hibernating engine. Always room for one more?
Took me a while to find the pictures, this is my first car, a 1930. I pulled the hydraulic brakes from a 40 Ford in a Chicago junk yard and got some spacers and other parts at Warshawsky & CO on State St in Chicago. Got my first ticket in this car, speeding, no hood and a broken headlight! The Officers billy club somehow broke the light when I got smart with him. Then told me he knew my Dad and wanted to know if he should talk to him about the headlight, I think you know what my answer was.\...LOL If I remember right JC Whitney the mail order part of the Warshawsky was right around the corner, same building. Check out the cars in the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WARSHAWSKY & CO.jpg (44.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 1930.coupe.1963.001.jpg (41.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 1930.coupe.1963.002.jpg (39.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 1930.coupe.1963.003.jpg (26.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #14
Mike Peters

Took me a while to find the pictures, this is my first car, a 1930. I pulled the hydraulic brakes from a 40 Ford in a Chicago junk yard and got some spacers and other parts at Warshawsky & CO on State St in Chicago. Got my first ticket in this car, speeding, no hood and a broken headlight! The Officers billy club somehow broke the light when I got smart with him. Then told me he knew my Dad and wanted to know if he should talk to him about the headlight, I think you know what my answer was.\...LOL If I remember right JC Whitney the mail order part of the Warshawsky was right around the corner, same building. Check out the cars in the background.

Al: I see 50's cars in the background behind your 30 coupe. Didn't know you were that old! Back in the 60's, I used to buy my wooden gear shift knobs and other junk from JC Whitney, and if memory serves, Whitney's address was on Archer Ave. in Chicago. Does that sound right? Since you know about 40 Ford hydraulic brakes on a Model A, I think I'll at least try to revive what I have. I got the master cylinder to pop loose a couple days ago, so there might be hope for the rest. Great photos of your first car? Is that you driving the bare chassis?
Old 09-21-2020, 08:10 PM   #15
PalAl

Yes Mike, I'm right up there with dirt! I see a Chevy, Ford and Packard in the background, my one neighbor would only own Packard's, new one every two years. He would pass his old one down to his Son. Yes, Archer is correct. State St and Archer came together. Don't know how much I would remember about the 40 Ford brakes as I'm not sure what I had for breakfast and yes that studly dudly in the Foster Grants driving the alleys of Chicago to avoid the beat Cop is ME
Old 09-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #16
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
Al, You better steer clear of that same cop now. He has lots of headlight lens to break on your “Rally” version Model A with 4 headlights... laugh out loud.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:37 PM   #17
PalAl

Dave what a fitting picture, "club in hand" you must have searched for that one.
Is that Ollie