Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
jake197000

Default slight door sag.

i have a 39 coupe thats from the southwest.its never been rustyits restored but the body was never off.thats the way i bought it a few years ago.the drivers door sags just a little.the hinges are not worn.do i shim the body and where to start.im not a body guy soooo.....
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
okiedokie

Default Re: slight door sag.

When I put my 40 coupe body back on the frame and friend with a body shop gave me some tips as to where to use the shims to align the doors, but I sure cant recall them now. However, basically I just put shims in and out until the door was where I wanted it. You may as well replace the body mounts since you will need to loosen them to shim.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
Ken/Alabama

You say it sags. How does the door gap look along the hinge pillar? If its sagging the gap should get wider as you go up. If that's the case and you say the hinge pins are good I'd look at the lower hinge at the door to see if there is a stress crack in the door where the hinge is attached causing it to sag.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:36 PM   #4
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Back in the day we'd insert a shim between the A pillar and the lower hinge.
Worked a treat.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #5
alanwoodieman

if you look in some old body books they tell you to put a block of wood between the lower hinge and gently push the door closed to sort of spring the hinge. used to do this with my 40 tudors
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
fordv8j

A block of wood is the way Ford did it on the assembly line in the 1960s
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #7
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
...stress crack in the door where the hinge is attached causing it to sag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
... block of wood between the lower hinge and gently push the door closed to sort of spring the hinge.
Caution: Do not use the block if wood if there is a stress crack at the hinge!
Old 10-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #8
jake197000

ill take a close look for a crack.the car is real nice.if parked on level ground the left rear is just a bit lower than the right side.if you pick up on the left side bumper and let go it looks levelyou think that could have anything to do with door issue.the door isnt a big problem i just bugs me.the right door shuts nice.you dont have to slam it but its not quite right.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
alanwoodieman

try to remove the lower hinge bolts to put a shim under them and let me know how much fun you had--then just put a block of wood/hard rubber between the lower hinge parts and do what I said first to do
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #10
johnny

My suggestion :If when the door is closed the gap along the front of the door to cowl is OK. Then lifting the back of the door to line up with the dove tail will not change the gap putting a block in the lower hinge may cause other conditions ,.Just get at the back of the door grab the bottom and lift up .that will stretch or pull the metal at the lower hinge and compress the metal at the upper hinge. instead of you trying to lift it get a short ie 2/4 with the door open some put the board on the rocker a block under the door frame and on the board and pry up on the door the block is to keep the pry away from the door panel so as not to bend it. keep us posted John.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #11
marko39

very usefull information. my 39 tudor both doors sag about 1/2 '' after replacing all body mounts but were fine before. i am waiting to get the engine back in before adj. doors. i did read that a shim should be placed under body mount closest to door hinge.
marko39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #12
johnny

Mark if the door gap to cowl is OK with the door closed to just touching the dove tail ,and since you have had the body off i suggest you do the following first .have two short lengths of light chain fasten one end onto the frame somewhere down by the rad mount other chain one end fasten to cowl maybe hinge bolt put turnbuckle between other ends of chains and tighten it up .this will pull the door post ahead and in turn the door up at the back .the front body mount is being squeezed tighter and the one directly under the hinge pillar will be lifted a little this is where you might have to add a shim and make sure the front has good washer support on top and bolts are tight. John.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #13
jake197000

i see no cracks.im going to jack the door up at the rear of it with wood blocks.i have taken doors that have air leaks a whistle and tweak them to fix it.ill let you know how it goes,thanks for the good ideas.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #14
Drbrown

A Ford Service Bulletin covers this issue. Available in hard-cover, this book would be good thing to have.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 AM   #15
marko39

johnny, good advice but should i try to pull to the rear as it seems this will raise the back of the door?
marko39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #16
johnny

Back to you mark you need to pull the hinge pillar ahead this will bring the door up at the back. many times a door low at the back can be traced to that front cowl mount that has pulled at the bolts allowing the hinge pillar to move back at the top , because of the weight of the door,and allows the back of the door to appear low to the dovetail John.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #17
jake197000

well I put a jack under the running board and a board on top with a jack and 2x4 and jacked the door.worked like a champ.thanks for the tips.