Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
CarlG

Default LED Headlights

Has anyone converted their headlights to LED, and if so, what did you have to do to make it happen?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: LED Headlights

Well first you would need to find a bulb- then its light output would be crap.

Im sure you've played with the old D cell mag lights with the adjustable beam from spot to flood - all that does is adjust where the lamp fillament is positioned in the parabola of the reflector.

That reflectors shape is designed around an incandescent bulb that has light output pretty much equally from all directions.

Think back of why Brattons had to go remake the stock reflector by making its shape correct.

LED's are very omni directional and yes LED flashlights and retrofit 4x6 and 5x7 rectangle lights are ridiculously bright (I have a set on my 95 s10) it uses an array of LED's (15 per 4x6 headlight) and very very sharp coned reflectors to achieve this.

They may make a round headlight LED conversion so you may be able to use the sealed beam model A kit from years ago but it will look very funky...
Old 11-15-2016, 04:19 PM   #3
larryf

yes, and just changed bulbs available from any of our suppliers. big difference
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
wmws
BANNED

I see Halogen bulbs from Brattons but not LED. Am I missing them?
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #5
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmws View Post
I see Halogen bulbs from Brattons but not LED. Am I missing them?
I was wondering the same thing.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 11-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #6
SteveB31

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
LED headlights are now used on some new cars. None have yet been adapted for the Model A. Wait a year or so, and it may happen
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:35 PM   #7
KGBnut

I just got these for my daughter's '74 VW Beetle.

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-in...0-classic-kit/

I couldn't be happier with them. I wish they were available when I had my '68 Mustang. They were easy to wire up, draw little power, and are incredibly bright.

They are direct replacement for regular sealed beam headlights, so I couldn't help but wonder if these would fit in a Model A that had already been converted to sealed beam. There is a small module that sticks out of the back, so there may be clearance issues, but I can't say for sure. I have original style headlights so I couldn't try them. Also, I think they are only available in 12 volt.

I just thought that I would share. Like I said, they are spectacular in the Beetle. Tremendous improvement over stock.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC3500-ANGLED-1.jpg (24.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-15-2016, 11:22 PM   #8
Graham

I've been using LED headlamps for over a year - very happy with them. Google "ba15d double dipper". They're in England, I picked up a pair at an autoshow there last year.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #9
Del in NE Ohio

If you have your headlights already converted to use Bulbs with H-4 base, there are many LED bulbs available for that H-4 base. Bright blue color, but low and high beam are the same elements. Disappointing, IMHO.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #10
Kurt in NJ

In looking at the new car LED lights the reflector design is special for the light, sort of a rams horn design, the led bulbs made to "fit" the A socket is just 2 led "bulbs" on a stick shining out the side, yet the opriginal bulb shines 360 degrees---and looking at an original bulb filaments---so close yet such different light from each filament------I saw the operation of the led in a stock reflector at Hershey,just a figure 8 pattern not the same as proper focused bulb, many of the conversions be it halogen, or led in original design reflectorslens systems may make bright light to look at them, but they do not project light that good any distance down the road---some work better by just brute wattage----while they seem bright and can be better that original not working properly it may just be a blinding glare to oncoming drivers---and I am sure you have seen this from other drivers at night coming towards you with the "blue bulbs" and HID conversions that don't focus properly in modern cars
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

once again the Model A keeps changing to somethings it was never meant to be. High comp head, alternator, 16 inch rims, radial tires, signals and on and on. Can't truly be called a Model A Ford. It is a custom old car. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 11-17-2016 at 09:48 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #12
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
In looking at the new car LED lights the reflector design is special for the light, sort of a rams horn design, the led bulbs made to "fit" the A socket is just 2 led "bulbs" on a stick shining out the side, yet the opriginal bulb shines 360 degrees---and looking at an original bulb filaments---so close yet such different light from each filament------I saw the operation of the led in a stock reflector at Hershey,just a figure 8 pattern not the same as proper focused bulb, many of the conversions be it halogen, or led in original design reflectorslens systems may make bright light to look at them, but they do not project light that good any distance down the road---some work better by just brute wattage----while they seem bright and can be better that original not working properly it may just be a blinding glare to oncoming drivers---and I am sure you have seen this from other drivers at night coming towards you with the "blue bulbs" and HID conversions that don't focus properly in modern cars
exactly, just because a light is bright to look at doesnt mean its useful to see with...if you have one of the super single LED flashlights with it off and you look at the reflector you can see the magnified "fillament" of the led reflecting all around it.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #13
Tony Hillyard

The link to the British site is as follows:

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversion...bulbs-shop.php

To be able to see where you are going at night would be a real treat!
Tony Hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Carl,

Appears if some company made vintage looking light buckets fitted with LED bulbs that mounted on Model A, (or any vintage vehicle), bumpers ...... similar to current offered vintage looking accessory bumper fog lights, they would sell like life preservers on a sinking cruise ship.

Maybe a hint to one of these accessory company's might be a good idea.

Imagine approaching some irate driver in a modern car with their bright lights on ....... at 100 yards they refuse to dim their lights ....... blink at them by switching on your LED fog lights and give him an instant sun tan. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #15
1931 flamingo

How many of us drive at night anyway??

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #16
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
How many of us drive at night anyway??

Paul in CT
When it gets dark at 3 o'clock in the afternoon at this time of year, a person doesn't have much choice other that to just park it.

On the otherhand, when we are on tour here, headlights must be on at all times. I would like to minimize the current draw during those times and still be legal.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 11-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #17
Kurt in NJ

About 50% of my driving is at night, i have 35 watt quartz halogens, with the generator,I never charge the battery except by driving, the lights light the reflectors on the poles and signs for 8 poles, about 1/4 mile

I do have some HID bulbs, just havn't figured how to make them work on 6V+ ground ---but then I would just have high beam---a really bright one
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #18
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
About 50% of my driving is at night, i have 35 watt quartz halogens, with the generator,I never charge the battery except by driving, the lights light the reflectors on the poles and signs for 8 poles, about 1/4 mile

I do have some HID bulbs, just havn't figured how to make them work on 6V+ ground ---but then I would just have high beam---a really bright one
What would be the reason for 50% night driving? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote