Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
JM 35 Sedan

Default Scammers are watching this website

Just got some email replys on some wanted ads I have here in the swap section. I know this is not a new thing to some of you but I had not seen any of these in the last 12 months. Here is one of the two emails that I received yesterday and today:

Hi,
Am Mark from London, UK..I saw your wanted ads post so i decided mailing you, If interested in purchasing the item let me know and will get back to you.
cell#
Regards,

Eddy James
26 York Street, W1U 6PZ United Kingdom
+44-701-119-7526

Note that he calls himself Mark in the first part of the message but uses Eddy in his address below. These scammers are easy to spot but some may get taken by them.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Cecil/WV

Default Re: Scammers are watching this website

John, It's a partnership and they share the email address. HaHa. Now, what else do you want to buy. Maybe I have it closer home, but I'll never tell where I live. Just send me your money and I'll try to find the part. Thanks for the heads up.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
John, It's a partnership and they share the email address. HaHa. Now, what else do you want to buy. Maybe I have it closer home, but I'll never tell where I live. Just send me your money and I'll try to find the part. Thanks for the heads up.
ok Cecil, ha ha!! I should have just handed you a bunch of money when I saw you last Friday and then you could have sent me some kind of Ford part when you got back home.....any kind of Ford part would be ok with me....except no chevy parts please. ha ha

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
32Gnu

They are watching Hotrodders.com FYI... Heres a post from last weekon a grille I am selling..

Hello Seller,

My Name is Tom, I saw your advert that was posted at the (hotrodders) website, and i am willing to purchase the (ITEM ) posted for sale on the site,i'm okay with the price and condition.

But i will be leaving the state to CANADA for a speculative purpose. As per payment i will have to instruct my colleague to send you a certified cashiers check or a US money order via ups courier service which will take only 2-3 days to get to you. That is the only means of payment I can offer you now due to my departing schedule. You should not worry about the shipping, i have my shipper that will come down to your house for the pick up as soon as payment is done.

So to make payment out to you, you'll have to email me the:

FULL CONTACT NAME

FULL CONTACT ADDRESS

CITY,STATE & ZIPCODE

PHONE NUMBER

MOBILE

FINAL ASKING PRICE FOR THE ITEM

Many Thanks, And Awaiting Your Response
32Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Mart

Please don't run away with the idea that everybody from the UK is a scammer - there are some very dedicated old car buffs here.
Most of these people (scammers) supposedly from the "UK" have probably never set foot outside Nigeria.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Frank The Plumber

They are also watching your car plates. With the numbers they have your address. Most of the guys are posting full pictures of all of their stuff willy nilly and with plates. Very dumb.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
SSsssteamer

I advertised to buy a roadster windshield frame because the one that I had on my roadster was the wrong year. A fellow from the U.K (he said) said he was parting out a roadster and that had a frame for sale at a bargain price, just wire him the money and he would quickly ship it. I asked him for a photo of the windshield frame before I would send him any money. He had lifted my roadster's photo (with me sitting in it) off of the internet and he sent me a copy of my roadster's photo not knowing that it was my roadster. I sent him back a very mean email that can not be reprinted here. Buyer beware!
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
B-O-B

OFF TOPIC as it ain't flathead related but could be if you buy parts on line. THAT AIN"T ALL folks. Just got off the phone with our credit card co. They said someone was trying to make a $800.00 purchase with avon & wanted to know if that was us. Of course we said no(won't help me heh heh he) so they would not authorize the purchase & terminated that card. We will get a new one in a few days via UPS. This also happened about the same time last year when there were unauthorized purchases on our card that were not authorized.
NOTE TO ALL: Keep your receipts & check them & NEVER let them(credit card) out of your sight & also be very careful who you give the 3 digit number on the back to. Public service announcement
B-O-B
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
Ross F-1

Some friends took a motorcycle trip last week down along the mexican border in TX (Big Bend country). They used credit cards at a gas station and had their numbers cloned. Within a day the cloned cards (not just numbers, but actual plastic cards) were being used for purchases in Ontario Canada! They spent $389 in a Starbucks -- how could you even do that??
Ross F-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
FRANK PKNY

I get MFS replies all the time. I lead them on and on. One guy told me he had a left handed Model T magneto variable cone resister, for only $1000.00 American. Boy what a buy that would be!! he also stated he was having trouble posting photo's so he could not send me one of the rare part. Right!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
Herman Munster

I regularly post auto parts and other things online with CL. It's frustrating enough dealing with the local flakes. It's almost entertaining to get bogus email from scammers since they can be so blatantly obvious.
I always insert an invisible HTML code that you can get for free from http://statcounter.com/. It has various tools for your ads. With that I can tell who and where people are looking at my ads and even the date and time. So when I get these bogus emails, I'll check the date and time and match it up with the stats. Guess what, every time it's been from Nigeria.
Herman Munster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
ems customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
Some friends took a motorcycle trip last week down along the mexican border in TX (Big Bend country). They used credit cards at a gas station and had their numbers cloned. Within a day the cloned cards (not just numbers, but actual plastic cards) were being used for purchases in Ontario Canada! They spent $389 in a Starbucks -- how could you even do that??
they did not buy $389 of coffee it was used to make up the difference in cash they stole out of the regisiter your happy starbucks employee
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
FL&WVMIKE

Several years ago, when this stuff first started, in a big way, I advertised on the old Fordbarn, that I was looking for a 1940 Ford Greyhound radiator cap.
Sure 'nuf, some one in "England" had one. I requested a photo, but never heard from them again.
These Nigerians do not know anything about the parts, so just ask questions and request a photo.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems customer service View Post
they did not buy $389 of coffee it was used to make up the difference in cash they stole out of the regisiter your happy starbucks employee
More likely they bought Gift cards and then sold the gift cards on Craigslist got 80% of face value.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
Bassman/NZ

O/T, but these guys are getting clever.
I just had one telling me I had an inheritance, nothing new there, but this one was from a solicitor in England, complete with phone, fax, email etc. I decided to look up this guy courtesy of Mr Google. Sure enough, bona-fide website, bona-fide solicitor. I was just about to think, maybe this is real, when I compared the email to the website and noticed a very slight discrepancy in the phone digits and the email address.
I emailed the solicitor through his website, and got a reply back saying it's a Nigerian scam and the UK police are aware of it.
A reasonably sophisticated operation, and I'm sure less suspicious people than me would be taken in by it.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #16
Step-down

Couple days ago I recived a e mail from a sammer but the e mail looked as good as it gets from e bay ...A coworker advised me if I would have clinked on the message I would have had some problems ....the e mail read thank you for your 4k purchase and a waiting approval, please clink below ....
Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
Ryan
Administrator

Never do business via email.... Only use private messages on the forum. And if you have any usernames, please send them to me via private message.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #18
Plumpcars

It makes it hard for those of us that are in England and are genuine. I need a few scruffy window garnish trims for my '32 sedan but hesitate to place a wanted ad simply because I know that it will lead to so many scam replies.
Plumpcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #19
Hoop

"Scammers are watching this website"

Well, in a way.

Try this as a test. Take a current thread here on the Early V8 forum ... "Visor Project complete." ... and do a Google search. Or, "cleaning spark plugs: Process" and see if it comes up.

Think about Google and their capability to do this. Google is probably the largest collector of data in the world. It's a mixed blessing. (Google knows more about YOU personally than you'd ever believe.)

Scammers do not have to watch Fordbarn specifically. It's really much easier.

Another note, people that we make credit card payments to are required to keep records of the transactions ... I believe for 5 years in the US and 6 years in Canada. Think about that. Each time you buy gas with a credit card, they have your complete credit card information ... easy pickings. Ever wonder why when you return something to Lowe's, for example, they don't need to see your credit card to do the refund?

"NOTE TO ALL: Keep your receipts & check them & NEVER let them(credit card) out of your sight & also be very careful who you give the 3 digit number on the back to. Public service announcement."

... every retailer probably has all this information on you. Their level of security is the issue.

My most used credit card account has been hacked three times in the last year. Each time I had travelled out of town and, of course, bought gas. Coincidence? Anyhow, I would recommend having two credit cards and using only one while keeping the other as backup. Having your account hacked while traveling could leave you with no card.

While you can amuse yourself by trying to play games with the email scammers, honestly, it's a waste of time. The Nigerians are just plain funny ... watch out for the Russian scammers. (I'm a pushover for the Russians.)

Last edited by Hoop; 09-06-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote