Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
flash9376

Default steering box leak

The steering box on my '30 sedan is leaking where the sector housing bolts to the frame. At first, it was leaking on the inside of the frame, so i made a gasket which i thought would solve the problem but then i noticed that it just started leaking on the outside where the pitman arm connects to the sector. My box was recently rebuild and all gaskets replaced. This is the only place that it leaks and i cant think of anyway to fix it. Any advice on this matter would be most appreciated. Also, do the engine pans bolt to the inside or outside of the frame?
flash9376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
fordfixer

Default Re: steering box leak

the engine pans bolt to the inside, lower part of the frame rail. There are three holes already drilled for this purpose. If your box was rebuilt, there should be no leakage from the sector shaft. It should have had a new bushings put in for the shaft to ride in. This would only have about 1.5 to 2 thousandt clearance. This bushing is then greased, which should hold the oil in the box. When I rebuilt mine I also slipped a o-ring onto the sector shaft. This goes on before you bolt it to the frame. When the bolts are tightened up, it then seals the outside of the shaft. I did this just for precautions. Make sure you are running the eviulent of 600 wt, oil here. The thinner stuff just runs out every where.
fordfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: steering box leak

There is good information in this thread Click here