Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #1
ALJ

Default Hi Boy Air Cleaner

I am considering a HI Boy air cleaner for my 28 Coupe. I like the paper filter above the carburetor eliminating the fire hazard. However, It looks to me like there could be interference problems with the choke rod and throttle linkage. Also, the longer air intake would tend to decrease air flow to the carburetor.

I would appreciate comments pro and con about the Hi Boy air cleaner.

I enjoy reading the Barn and have found many helpful posts. Thank you.
ALJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:54 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Hi Boy Air Cleaner

A longer air intake might help by giving the intake a ram effect.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:04 AM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi ALJ,

The following is base on highly technical air filter functioning data & actual "hands-on experience", as opposed to being based on 20+ past years of reading thousands of false reports about why we should never install Model A air filters.

1. I have a 1930 Briggs Town Sedan with the High-Boy device on my carburetor which was subsequently fitted with a new larger K&N Model No. R-1050 which has a 3.5" outside diameter and is 6" tall.

2. There is no interference with the choke rod, gas line, or throttle linkage, and there is far more than enough air entering the carburetor.

3. I get 20 mpg average in stop & go traffic with this set up, and never worry about this filter getting wet with liquid gasoline or falling off.

4. This one time purchase of this High-Boy and the above "large" K&N air filter, (which can be cleaned with K&N cleaning fluid, & allows ample air passage), should last a Model A owner a lifetime.

5. If you visit the K&N filter site and call a K&N filter technician, you will at the very least have an opinion about their K&N filters as opposed to having no air filters.

You asked, I responded.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:25 AM   #4
29er

The threads listed below may be helpful. The installation of an air filter is as controversial as what oil to use, water vs antifreeze in the radiator, modern vs original distributor points or whitewall vs blackwall tires. Like H.L., I have installed the K&N filter on the carburetor of my 29er and found no reduction in performance and the filter does not interfere with the choke rod or throttle linkage.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142421

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142838

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119231

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119203

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108962

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95961
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

29er, how are you able to list so many links without having to go back and do an "edit" to add each link?
Old 01-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW: Smoky Oil Burning Engines:

Also, from what I heard from discussions of same in the 1970's and 1980's from several professional full time engine rebuilding mechanics working in different states, a general summary was:

1. With "NO" air filters, T's and A's under "dusty" road conditions needed a ring job after approximately 8,000 miles.

2. Some early cars during Model A driving times came out with "Oil Bath" filters where air was withdrawn from above, next descended downward and/or passed over a bath of oil before this air entered the carburetor. The heavier than air dust fell in the oil whereby the oil was occasionally changed. Under "dusty" road conditions these vehicles' mechanical life was extended to where they needed a ring job after approximately 40,000 miles.

3. Vehicles never were able to exceed 100,000 miles under "dusty" road conditions until more modern pleated filters were developed.

4. Marine engines operated only water, with only an air arrestor on the intake of the carburetor, far outlasted any engines operated on highways because of no dust ..... but only if maintained with proper oil changes and regulated cooalant temperatures in the neighbor hood of 170 - 180 degrees.

5. Engines operated in metropolitan areas on pavement, (not on dirt & gravel roads), lasted longer before requiring a ring job .... how much longer .... never asked.

P.S.: This general information summary included military vehicles operated stateside..

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-06-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
mhsprecher

I have the Hi Boy on both of my Model A's and couldn't be happier. They are easy to take off for judging or maintenance. No air restriction that I can notice.

I think it is foolish not to use an air filter on our cars. Here is a photo of the filter on my 28 roadster. Unfortunately, it doesn't show how it clears the choke and throttle. It is close, but there are no problems with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi Boy Air Filter.jpg (77.8 KB, 119 views)
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
29er, how are you able to list so many links without having to go back and do an "edit" to add each link?
Probably C&P
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWizard View Post
Probably C&P
That's how I do my links, by using copy and paste, but I can only copy one at a time. By the time I look up the different sites to copy and paste, several minutes can transpire and it would show "edit" in the reply. I just happened to have this copy to send in an email, but if I go back to copy another site "edit" would show up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOwNBP_B1xo
Old 01-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #10
Synchro909

Back to air cleaners!
While I understand no cleaner on a concourse car while it is being judged, I wouldn't entertain the idea of running without one on a driver car or even on a concourse car while not being judged. They have been standard equipment on cars for decades for a reason.
On our RHD cars, fitting an aircleaner is not so easy. I make up a fitting to come out from the carby mouth and turn so it goes between the choke rod and the steering column, then a flexible hose up to a 10" paper element air cleaner mounted on the radiator stays. Works well for me and would be much easier to do for you LHD guys.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #11
Keith True

This one was on the truck when the owner bought it in 1965.I took a picture of it a couple of months ago when a young fellow bought the truck from that guy.The other picture are the jack stands that came with the truck in 1965,it has sat on those every winter since then,and the fellow that bought it is using them for storing it right now.I put a timing gear in the truck in 1980.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (76.7 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (87.7 KB, 113 views)
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

Good 'Ol Yankee ingenuity in both pics.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I have the Hi Boy on both of my Model A's and couldn't be happier. They are easy to take off for judging or maintenance. No air restriction that I can notice.

I think it is foolish not to use an air filter on our cars. Here is a photo of the filter on my 28 roadster. Unfortunately, it doesn't show how it clears the choke and throttle. It is close, but there are no problems with it.
When I had the same highboy on my Zenith, the engine seem to operate a better, but now I have a downdraft carb.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #14
glenn in camino

My Model A air cleaner uses a pvc curved pipe out the rear of the carburetor to a k&n filter under the carb. I drilled a 1/32 hole in the pvc pipe to drain any leaked gas. Along with an affordable oil filter, My engine stays super clean between changes.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #15
Michael M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
That's how I do my links, by using copy and paste, but I can only copy one at a time. By the time I look up the different sites to copy and paste, several minutes can transpire and it would show "edit" in the reply. I just happened to have this copy to send in an email, but if I go back to copy another site "edit" would show up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOwNBP_B1xo
Type your note, paste links, etc. in another program such as notepad. Then when you've finished your missive and are ready to post it, copy/paste it into the forum thread.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
Type your note, paste links, etc. in another program such as notepad. Then when you've finished your missive and are ready to post it, copy/paste it into the forum thread.
OK, thanks, but I guess that would take longer than what I do now, so I'll just carry on.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:12 PM   #17
ALJ

Thank you for all of the excellent comments. It makes sense to me to run an air filter. I'll be ordering a Hi Boy.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #18
ALJ

Thank you for the info.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #19
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Hi Boy Air Cleaner

On the Hi-Boy set up on my '29 roadster. I substituted some old repop
original style radiator hose clamps. That I painted low-gloss black engine paint while using brass screws. They look more antique'y than the modern stainless steel clamps that come with them.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #20
Bob-A

Reference my post above. I found a pic of my 29 roadster with the Hi-Boy
air cleaner attached to the carb. with the black painted repop radiator hose clamps.

Bob-A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F6D84DBD.jpg (85.1 KB, 129 views)
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote