Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
GreenMonster48

Default Looking for cam advice

I'm currently having an 8BA rebuilt.

So far it is .125 over using Egge pistons & Grant rings
using a 3 3/4 crank & rods (New French stuff)

I wanted to use a 3/4 race cam. I've been looking at the Schneider cams listed on Red's Headers site. I'm tossed between the 260 which is .355 lift and 260 duration, and the 254 which is 254 degrees with .355 lift. I also notice they offer the same cam durations listed above with approx .326 lift.

I plan on going with aftermarket heads (still deciding between Navarro and Edelbrock mostly for looks) and haven't decided between a 4 barrel set up or a 2x2 set up.

What would be the better cam for my set up? I was leaning more towards the 254 but wanted to ask before I spent the money.

Last edited by GreenMonster48; 09-28-2012 at 12:52 PM.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: Looking for cam advice

Well, if Ol Ron chimes in he would probably say the Howard L-100 cam is an excellent choice. Others will probably chime in as well and perhaps you'll get some similar engine/real world experience ....

I had Dema Elgin cook up a cam for me when I built my present 40 coupe French block engine. He wnated to know gear ratio, tire size, type of tranny I was using, etc. Bsically matched it to my setup. It is very similar to the L-100 and still runs/drives/idles great after 10 years ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
GreenMonster48

I guess I should say that I really like the sound of the L-100 and would use it in a more hot-rod application, but I don't really want too much rumpity rump for the old truck.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Well, if Ol Ron chimes in he would probably say the Howard L-100 cam is an excellent choice. Others will probably chime in as well and perhaps you'll get some similar engine/real world experience ....

I had Dema Elgin cook up a cam for me when I built my present 40 coupe French block engine. He wnated to know gear ratio, tire size, type of tranny I was using, etc. Bsically matched it to my setup. It is very similar to the L-100 and still runs/drives/idles great after 10 years ....

Hey Tom:

Great recommendation. Just so we are all clear, the L-100 was ground by Literio and not Howard's. Literio was often called the Isky of the East.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
wga

The Carter WCFB is a great choice for a 4V carb. The flow about 380 CFM or so, and were popular on early 50's OHV V8's. They bolt on popluar 4V flathead intakes, especially the Navarro. Get a Caddy / Olds repo air cleaner with some Tommy the Greek style teardrops, and you're done.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Ol' Ron

Building an engine is like building a house, you need a complete blurprint to start with. Engine displacement, compression, camshaft and carburetoration and ignition determine the finished product.. First you're building my favorite engine the 258. Back in the day these were sportsman engines, single carb and no Hi comprission heads. These rules lasted along time and as tires and suspensions imoroved so did the lap times. Im 74 when the OHV engines entered the picture their cisplacement limit was placed at 310 ci and a single 4 bl, thus the 302 or 5L engines became leagle. 3 times the power but the lap times remained the same.?????
I digress.
Put as much compression into that engine as you can get .040" piston to head clearance, SBC dist and a single 2GC carb. Keep the stock cam (EABorC) 52-3 F-M
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
GreenMonster48

Thanks for the advice, Ol Ron. Already got the SBC distributor and man what a difference!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Pete

The L100 is too much cam for that engine.
A stock EA Ford cam would probably work fine for you.
Stock idle and good low end power.
A 1007B would work ok but it has a lopey idle.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
39 STD

PM sent..
Old 09-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
Vergil

If you are considering a Schneider cam I would call Schneiders (619) 297-0227)and talk to Jerry Cantrell. Tell him what you are putting in the build (transmission, heads, cubic in, ignition, headers, carburetion and etc), what it is going in, what you want low rpm power or high rpm and he will point you to a cam he likes for what you have told him, worked for me.

Vergil
Old 09-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
Ol' Ron

I've een running the L-100 in many engines from a 37 21 stud engine to the 294 of Ron H's the one in richards car has over 17o lbs in static compression in a 276. I doubt very mych it would be too much for his engine. BUT, he wasn't interested in the sound. I also noticed that the Isky cams sold by Speedway are over 300 bucka apiece including the 77B and the Max #1. This is an un- Godly price to par for a cam. I think the L-100 is around 175 with your core. Dont quote me. Just about any cam grinder can furnish an isky grind. And yes the 1007B is a nice cam bu the 1007LD sounds even better. (NO bottom end)
Old 09-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #12
Tim Ayers

If you want an Isky grind, Delta Cams in WA will do them for around $80.00.

Clay Smith cams also will grind you a cam for around $100.

I agree, $300 for a cam is a bit high. They are new cores and not a regrind, but still.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Pete

Good luck with your Delta cam.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
41LjH

After reading all the reply's I would suggest asking how you plan to DRIVE the vehicle. I opted for a ISKY max1 and a 390 Holley. Running that through the 39 top-loader to a 2:73 banjo turning 235 75 16s I might have been better with a torque curve a little higher up the RPM scale. It sounds great idling at about 700 but I'm not sure about cruising at 65-70 so consider how you will be driving and work backwards. Good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
xxf_mike_xf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post

I agree, $300 for a cam is a bit high. They are new cores and not a regrind, but still.
The Pete in this thread can advise and grind up a cam too. He did a Potvin grind for me last year and it performed perfectly. I'll be returning to him for cams as long as he's willing to grind 'em.
xxf_mike_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxf_mike_xf View Post
The Pete in this thread can advise and grind up a cam too. He did a Potvin grind for me last year and it performed perfectly. I'll be returning to him for cams as long as he's willing to grind 'em.

Without question. I just replied with those two since Ol Ron mentioned price.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Good luck with your Delta cam.

Hey Pete:

What gives? I thought you told me once that if you weren't in the business, you would use Delta.

Not trying to take business away from you, but just trying to on the level.

I've also know a few guys who've run Delta grinds without issue.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #18
deucemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergil View Post
If you are considering a Schneider cam I would call Schneiders (619) 297-0227)and talk to Jerry Cantrell. Tell him what you are putting in the build (transmission, heads, cubic in, ignition, headers, carburetion and etc), what it is going in, what you want low rpm power or high rpm and he will point you to a cam he likes for what you have told him, worked for me.

Vergil
I second Vergil's advise, I have used Schnieder cams exclusively since the mid -60's and Jerry has never led my astray. I learned to not request a cam listed in his catalog, but tell him what I am running and my intended use. More than half the time he would suggest a cam slightly different in lift, duration, or lobe centers than the "book" cam. It has always paid off with excellent results. Plus, it cost the same for custom grind vs of the shelf.
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #19
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post

I ordered a regound cam for a regular parts place, (i'm not tellin who) he had it ground at Delta Cam's they did'nt cut down between lobes SO, when I installed the lifters and started to ajust the valves some of the lifters were rideing on the edge of the uncut materal between the lobes on the base circle. I did 2 or 3 before I cought it. The co. I got it from was very good and got me another reground from Esky. That's my thought about Delta. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #20
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
I ordered a regound cam for a regular parts place, (i'm not tellin who) he had it ground at Delta Cam's they did'nt cut down between lobes SO, when I installed the lifters and started to ajust the valves some of the lifters were rideing on the edge of the uncut materal between the lobes on the base circle. I did 2 or 3 before I cought it. The co. I got it from was very good and got me another reground from Esky. That's my thought about Delta. Walt

Thanks for the input, Walt. Neither my buddies or I had that issue with Delta. This was a few years ago. I wonder if they have new owner/manager out there?

When I had George @ Clay Smith do a cam, he said he would have do that and charged another $25. Cam still came out to be $110 for their 272-2 grind.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
Ol' Ron

Back in the late 80's this fellow came up to me and asked if I'd put to gether an engine for him. He had all the parts including the L-100 cam. When I asked him what he was going to put it in he sad a 1942 Ford Ambulance that weighted 5500lbs. I looked at the timing numbers and told him it wouldn't work in this car, cam was to long and the car to heavy. He said use it anyway. I did and fell in love with the performance and everything else this can perduced, like cranking pressures over 170 lbs and 21 MPG. So judging a cam by the numbers, might not be the answer. Ask anyone that is running one.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #22
PhoenixFear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergil View Post

Vergil
That is what I would do. I live right down the street from Schneider Cams so I know the guys there pretty well. I had my stock cam reground there, Jerry asked all the questions like what my intentions were and what kinda stuff I'll be running, and set it up that way.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote