Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2019, 09:10 AM   #21
History

Default Re: What have you found working on your A?

That's why it's so interesting to me, because some stories get told. I collect all things ww2, don't have much as I'm not a super serious collector. I have a round cardboard tube that held mortar rounds that was used as a send home box for some gi. It has the capture papers that list the items, one item is a spoon knife set. The set is in the tube and it's insignificant but still interesting. The quarter you find under the seat may have been lost by some kid who agonized over it as they were going to buy whatever and now couldn't.

My dad owned what was from 1936 - 1968--69??? a building that was a belks department store. He obtained it years after that fact in the late 90's. I've seen photos of it as Belks and remember being it as Belks when I was very young. I inherited the building and was working inside above what used to be the window box. I found some really old wrapping paper and Christmas decorations that was Belks branded and when I was about to crawl out I saw a little red wooden ball. I picked it up and it was attached to a string that went inside a bundle of paper. The paper was the original wrapping paper from the factory, still taped and numbered. I could tell it was a wooden toy but no idea what. Turns out it's a firetruck with a price tag of 92 cents. I figured early seventies pricing. This particular toy was made from 1938 to 1942. It has more than likely been in that spot my entire life and was probably there when my dad was a kid. I haven't taken the paper off but I know what it looks like. Not going to sale it and will more than likely let whoever owns the building next have it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3030.jpg (23.4 KB, 94 views)
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #22
Keith True

When I took the seat out of a 31 Tudor I bought,that made for an interesting bunch of,if this car could talk comments.A couple of guys standing there probably talked about it for a half hour.I found a perfect Sears nickel plated 7 shot pistol,it was laying in a tin box that had a broken glass oil bottle in it too.The oil had turned to grease,and perfectly preserved the gun.There were also dozens of little round tin boxes,at first I thought they were pill tins,but they turned out to be condom containers.Between those and the gun,the guys standing there dreamed up lots of little scenarios that might have happened.I also found a pistol in the spare tire carrier of an A,but that one was a mass of rust.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #23
katy

I once bought a 1947 Mercury pickup that had been sitting for a while and the gas cap was missing. After getting it running the gas line persisted in plugging up. I took the gas tank out to clean it out and retrieved about 2 cupfuls of sand and small gravel, a 1" paint brush and a chunk of rubber weather stripping about 18" long. Truck ran great after that. Easy job removing the gas tank as it was behind the seat.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #24
burner31

found Vol. 1 club newsletter for the "Cow Town" Fort Worth Model A Club, dated Jan. 1964 along with a flyer to their very first "drive in picnic".
I also found some part books from 1964 - 1967, from AMSCO parts, MARK auto and GASLIGHT auto parts. You would not believe the prices on items back then compared to prices today, I know its been almost fifty years...but WOW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM006837.jpg (55.1 KB, 27 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #25
Mike Peters

I bought an unrestored 1928 Tudor at an estate auction in 1984. There was a nice set of tire chains under the back seat. The car came from Northern Wisconsin, so no surprise there.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #26
Keith True

I found some neat tire chains under the seat in my Tudor too.there were six of them,three for each tire.They were made for the A,the solid,or band part fit between the spokes and conformed tightly to the rim.Then the chain part just went from the band and around the tire to connect back to the band.The red paint is still on them,but the canvas bag was mostly dust.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #27
Jeff P. / MN

I received a rebate on my ‘31 S/W 4dr........found a 1935 50 cent piece inside the drivers door and a 1907 Indian head penny in the front passenger door.
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:26 AM   #28
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
I once bought a 1947 Mercury pickup that had been sitting for a while and the gas cap was missing. After getting it running the gas line persisted in plugging up. I took the gas tank out to clean it out and retrieved about 2 cupfuls of sand and small gravel, a 1" paint brush and a chunk of rubber weather stripping about 18" long. Truck ran great after that. Easy job removing the gas tank as it was behind the seat.
It could be that the "sand" you found in the tank was actually sugar, since sugar does not dissolve in gas.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #29
Planojc

Changed out a model A gas gauge and the previous mechanic had wired a blue Christmas tree light bulb in place of the float.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #30
katy

Quote:
It could be that the "sand" you found in the tank was actually sugar, since sugar does not dissolve in gas.
Trust me. it was real sand and small gravel. There was a couple of 4-5-6 year old's playing in the yard when we got that truck.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #31
DannL

[QUOTE=Planojc;1808794]Changed out a model A gas gauge and the previous mechanic had wired a blue Christmas tree light bulb in place of the float.[/QUOT

I hadn't thought of that. That's a perty good idea. Thanks.
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:40 PM   #32
RUNNERBUN

El Cheepo front end fix. What appears to be a copper Mexican 5 cent coin used to tighten a loose steering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191013_102106.jpg (71.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20191013_102138.jpg (49.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #33
Jw

Found an Indian Head penny under the rear seat of my 28 Tudor
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote