Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #21
springerpete

Default Re: Marvel's Mystery Oil

4 ounces of MMO to 10 gallons of gas is what I have heard recommended. That is a 4 : 1280 ratio . Not much pollution there.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #22
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
I live in the peoples republic,and I can buy mmo by the gallon if if I desire..or just mix mineral spirits and ATF,like they do.
Hmm, Marvel Mystery Oil has been around since at least the early '20's but ATF only since about 1950. How was MMO made before ATF came out?

Last edited by 40 Deluxe; 09-11-2019 at 12:00 AM.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #23
Railcarmover
BANNED

Gee you got me there..hey,how who cares,use it by the gallon..that better? A 4.2 to one gasoline L head engine with a manual advanced distributor provides enough of it's own 'upper cylinder lubrication' without the need for additives.you would be as well served by mixing ATF and solvent..

Last edited by Railcarmover; 09-09-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #24
Werner

Thank you for the many additions! I understand that MMO is not dangerous. Right?
I also understand that California is loved, but not by anyone. In Germany, the state of California is regarded as a paradise for the sunshine and white strands. -

At my engine the first and second cylinders pull some oil because the cylinder liner has rust voids. With MMO, the combustion residues have become very soft and are gradually removed during an exploratory drive. The engine innards become visibly cleaner.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #25
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
Good evening, I use with visible success (combustion residues dissolve softly) Marvel's Mysterys Oil. Now I've heard that this fuel additive in California is not allowed due to health concerns (bad cancer ingredients?).

I think that's a rumor?
MMO is great stuff.
Southern California is too crowded... They have to do everything they can to reduce harmful emissions. Too bad they scraped their once great electric trolley system.
Did you know THAT at one time California had the largest electric trolley system in the usa.

Last edited by FrankWest; 09-10-2019 at 05:38 AM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #26
HD Rider

Gasoline has been linked to cancer as well.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #27
ETAModel

Now that I can type with both hands I have a MMO story for you guys.

In the early 80's Dad's friend moved to a farm and a 1941 John Deere Model A (no relation) tractor was sitting in a field across the fence. It had been sitting uncovered long enough the exhaust pipe had rusted at the manifold, and the air breather had also rusted at the bottom. The hand crank motor was locked up tight.

Dad pulled the plugs and poured them full of MMO, then replaced the plugs. For the next year or so every time we went to visit his friend we would pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with MMO and rock the bull wheel back and forth.

One January, Dad, my older brother, and I were riding in Dads '58 Ford and we went past the tractor. He stopped and they both got out to check the motor. Dad went on the right side and pulled the plug, peering into the cylinder to see how much oil was left. At the same time my brother was rocking the flywheel/handcrank back and forth trying to break it free. Just as Dad looked into the hole the pistons broke free and rust,gunk, and MMO soaked my Dad right in the face and beard!!

Dad was a combination of mad and pleased the motor had broke free. He found a rag in the '58 and wiped off best he could, but he smelled like a machine shop all the way back home.

The next day he tracked down the owner of the A and bought it. We all figured it would need a ring job, and it took some work to get it running, but it didn't burn much oil and the plugs NEVER fouled out, in spite of using it hard. We never had to open up the old Popping Johnny, and the rings held up fine.

In the early 2000's Dad sold it to his neighbor, who later passed and left it to his son. The son restored it, but told me he never took the head off the motor, and still cultivates his fields every spring with it. I want to go visit when he's using it just to sit behind the wheel once more.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #28
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
Califormia is the worst.
Did you know THAT at one time California has the largest electric trolley system in the usa. Then political corruption closed it down and the freeways were born.
Now people can't breath. I lived there for 5 years and during the summer months the smoke was so bad it looked like there was a forest fire.
I would rather live in Zimbabwe than California.
I don't care if you bash California from Zimbabwe, as long as you don't move here. So go ahead, maybe you'll convince a few people not to move here or some more people to move away. Don't know when you lived here but I'm looking at clear blue skies right now.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #29
woofa.express

Marvel Mystery Oil.

It was in 1982 I purchased an Airtractor powered by a Pratt and Whitney R1340 engine. My previous aeroplane was a Piper with a 6 cylinder Lycoming engine which burnt 65 litres of fuel per hour, or approximate. Now this big new aeroplane with a big fuel gulping engine burned double and I found this a little frightening so I ferried and worked at low power settings. Well oil consumption didn’t settle and I worried about that too.
Well the Australian Airtractor dealer sent a principle from the engine overhauler speak to me. The overhaullers were Aeroengines of L.A. and Vern Truman was the rep and he was also a part owner of the business. Mr Truman was also a gentleman of the highest class. He quickly determined the cylinders had glazed and recommended Marvel Mystery Oil. I just couldn’t understand what Mr Truman was saying because of his broad speech accent. Marrrvimisttrryall. At my request he wrote the name of the product and I understood. Now his instructions on how to use MMO was simple and made sense to me.

At the end of the day remove the aluminium tube to the manifold pressure gauge, idle the engine at 700 rpm and through the disconnected line suck up a quart (I think) of MMO. Turn engine off with the key and not the fuel shut off which is normal practice. 700 rpm so as the supercharger would blow it to all cylinders and the slowly running engine would not burn all the oil. The next morning do a normal takeoff and the carbon and other unwanted deposits would blow out the exhaust. Yes it did work. Another old time operator said he was recommissioning an old engine and he filled each cylinder with MMO , one at atime, replace the spark plug and pulled the engine through by hand thus ensuring the MMO was pushed through the piston rings. Leave for a few days, crank and run then do an oil change.
I had not considered using MMO in my A Models but will start now. I have a sticky valve which MMO has a good chance of freeing up.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #30
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
I don't care if you bash California from Zimbabwe, as long as you don't move here. So go ahead, maybe you'll convince a few people not to move here or some more people to move away. Don't know when you lived here but I'm looking at clear blue skies right now.

David Serrano
California definitely has blue skies and cleaner air again. All you have to do is watch an episode of Adam-12 filmed in 1970 and look at the difference today. Back then the sky was all kinda brown and hazy You didn't see any blue.

When I crank up my '69 Mustang the stink about drives you out of the garage. And it is perfectly tuned and all rebuilt. I haven't had a newer car in over 20 years do that. I hate to admit but unleaded fuel and a number of things the Fed made the car makers do, did work.

Calif. is a bit too crowded for me and they have problems like a lot of states do today. The last time I was there I had to laugh at a guy's bumper sticker that read 'Thank you for leaving Orange County. Please take someone with you'
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:32 PM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Rider View Post
Gasoline has been linked to cancer as well.

Life has been linked to cancer!
Old 09-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #32
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Life has been linked to cancer!
Coca-Cola could well be an even bigger threat to society. Much bigger than MMO.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-10-2019 at 03:22 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #33
lildave

Default Marvel's Mystery Oil

I like “sea foam” better, you can get it spray or bottle. From sunny Orange County!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lildave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #34
rogerkb1936

have used mmo in my roadster for 33000 plus miles, eng is still quiet and peppy. someone asked me how did I know it did any good. I replied, "if nothing else it makes me feel better"
rogerkb1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #35
burner31

I like to enjoy my MMO by the quart
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images (1).jpeg (8.1 KB, 67 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:23 PM   #36
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildave View Post
I like “sea foam” better, you can get it spray or bottle. From sunny Orange County!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been using Sea Foam in my Town Sedan for quite some time, mainly because it sometimes sits for a couple of weeks. Sea Foam claims to stabilize and control moisture in the fuel, among other things. I mix 1oz / gallon.

A couple of months ago the gas gauge in my 2006 F-150 started sticking at ¼ full. I added a can (16oz) of Sea Foam to the next tank and after some miles it swung up to full. So I would surmise that the Sea Foam did do something!!
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #37
Terry, NJ

WOW! What's this thread about? MMO or Californicate? Personally, I love both of them. I like the story of the tractor because I had a similar story, only about a Allis-Chalmers 1938 mod B. Great little machine! It was stuck and MMO freed it up. Cali? Now that another story. My daughter used to live in Laguna Hills, houses on Postage stamp sized lots that cost too much. Too much Spanish spoken! Traffic on the 5, the 110, the 101, etc. Too many people everywhere! YIIIIKEES But the worst is too many liberal politicians. Too many taxes! Too many "Do gooders" Too many anti pollution laws Am I an old angry white guy? You bet! Because as goes California, so goes the nation and that means the insanity is coming here next!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #38
ryanheacox

Does anyone else just like how MMO smells? I like seafoam too but it doesn't have that nice wintergreen aroma
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #39
Anteek29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Does anyone else just like how MMO smells? I like seafoam too but it doesn't have that nice wintergreen aroma

Makes a refreshing body cologne
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #40
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
It reminds me of the little red plastic capsules of electric train smoke I used in my American Flyer.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote